Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Transferring from B2 cohabiting partner to E1 visa

Transferring from B2 cohabiting partner to E1 visa

Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:12 am
Just Joined

Tog20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring from B2 cohabiting partner to E1 visa

Hi

Just wanted some advice please.

I'm currently on an E1 visa, here on work transfer from Europe. We have 2 young children under my E1 visa. My current cohabiting partner has a B2 visa with a waiver of ineligibility. She is fully sponsored by my company.

We are planning to marry this year and looking for advice for the transition from B2 to E1. As an E1 visa holder, does she require E1 also or E2? She will not be working here, she will be homemaker.

Current B2 valid until end 2018 (her 3rd visa since arriving 2013.) When enquiring by email to e visa london unit, regarding a change to a new e visa, they informed us, without name change and same passport, she can apply for new visa but still travel on current valid B2 visa, whilst new e visa is being processed (we mentioned waiver).

So when leaving USA as a family to Europe and being married, she will then attend interview for new status, and then we will return to USA (her on current valid B2) and await decision on the new application (which currently is 6-8 months for a waiver)

So my question is, when arriving in USA as a married couple with children, what documents do we need on hand?

Mainly, as a B2 holder, it's always a concern, they may think she tries to stay in USA, however as cohabiting partner they understand. Always, she is asked to the back office for the entry stamp, of which we are used to, does arriving on this occasion married change or require anything.

We always have proof of not wanting to stay longer than the work contract, and we certainly have plans to go home at the end.

Apologies if I've detracted, just trying to ascertain facts or experiences. Thanks
Old Mar 29th 2017, 4:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring from B2 cohabiting partner to E1 visa

Hi and Welcome to BE. For others reading, here is your partner's thread on this same topic:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...waiver-891743/

Originally Posted by Tog20
We are planning to marry this year and looking for advice for the transition from B2 to E1. As an E1 visa holder, does she require E1 also or E2?
E2.

So my question is, when arriving in USA as a married couple with children, what documents do we need on hand?
The same documents you've always had on hand. She will be entering on a B-2 just like she did before, so same documents.

Mainly, as a B2 holder, it's always a concern, they may think she tries to stay in USA, however as cohabiting partner they understand. Always, she is asked to the back office for the entry stamp, of which we are used to, does arriving on this occasion married change or require anything.
No.

Rene
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

As an E1 visa holder, does she require E1 also or E2?
The spouse of an E-1 will also get an E-1.

She will not be working here, she will be homemaker.
The spouse of an E-1 can apply for permission to work - so she can if she wants!

When enquiring by email to e visa london unit, regarding a change to a new e visa, they informed us, without name change and same passport, she can apply for new visa but still travel on current valid B2 visa, whilst new e visa is being processed (we mentioned waiver).
If you marry in the US, she can then apply to change status via form I-539. She'd only need a new visa (and waiver) if she subsequently leaves the US.

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The spouse of an E-1 will also get an E-1.
Thanks Ian, I didn't know this.

Rene
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Thanks Ian, I didn't know this.
The power of the Internet is at your fingers!

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2017, 1:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian, I didn't know this. ....
An E-2 is an entirely separate visa. .... Like an H-2 in relation to an H-1.

There is neither rhyme nor reason to the numbering of spouse visas: the spouse of an E-1 or E-2 gets the same, the spouse of an H-1 gets an H-4, and I think the spouse of an O-1 gets an O-3.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 7:26 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

So when leaving USA as a family to Europe and being married, she will then attend interview for new status, and then we will return to USA (her on current valid B2) and await decision on the new application (which currently is 6-8 months for a waiver)

The B2 may be facially valid, but the purpose of entry must match what is allowed by the visa. B2 cohabiting partner is allowed for people who cannot qualify for derivative status. If she is married to the E1 and seeking to accompany the E1 to the US, she qualifies for derivative status and isn't allowed to use the B2. She's supposed to wait until her E visa is approved and in her passport before commencing travel. That's usually not a big deal and takes little time. The waiver of ineligibility makes it a real problem in this case.

The required documents for entry are a valid unexpired passport and a valid E visa with a waiver.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
The B2 may be facially valid, but the purpose of entry must match what is allowed by the visa. B2 cohabiting partner is allowed for people who cannot qualify for derivative status. If she is married to the E1 and seeking to accompany the E1 to the US, she qualifies for derivative status and isn't allowed to use the B2. She's supposed to wait until her E visa is approved and in her passport before commencing travel.
We have raised this question/issue and this is what the official response by the E Visa Unit was:

Originally Posted by E Visa Unit
After you are married. Ms. xxx can continue to use the valid B-2 visa until the waiver for the E-1 visa has been processed. The valid B-2 visa would not be cancelled. But, please be aware that she can only continue to use the B-2 visa if she does not obtain a new passport with a change of name, if she has a name change and the British passport office cancels the old passport by cutting the corner edge of the passport then she would not be able to use both passports for travel by showing the immigration official at the U.S. border control that she has a valid B visa as her new name would not be a match to her visa granted in the cancelled passport
Also does the immigration official at the U.S. border control see/know if someone has submitted a new visa application or shall we rather bring printouts along as supporting documents when entering the USA?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi and Welcome to BE. For others reading, here is your partner's thread on this same topic:
Yes my partner was posting about a previous topic. Not sure what relevance that has to my post, but if you read her thread you'll understand my need for posting separately to find the right solution without if possible being separated during visa processing.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is relevant because you are a couple and you are asking about her ability to visit and possibly immigrate. You also posted about her having a B2 with waiver. Why would you think your post was not relevant?
Old Mar 30th 2017, 4:01 pm

Yes my partner was posting about a previous topic. Not sure what relevance that has to my post, but if you read her thread you'll understand my need for posting separately to find the right solution without if possible being separated during visa processing.
I saw the cross-posts as being relevant to each other.

Rene
Old Mar 30th 2017, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
It is relevant because you are a couple and you are asking about her ability to visit and possibly immigrate. You also posted about her having a B2 with waiver. Why would you think your post was not relevant?
Fair enough. However I don't remember asking about her ability to immigrate as the purpose will still remain a non-immigrant status.

I saw the cross-posts as being relevant to each other.
No worries!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

E is a non immigrant visa.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 5:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I use that terms, incorrectly perhaps, because she will be living and working in the US, not here as a visitor. So for me that is immigrating.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
I use that terms, incorrectly perhaps, because she will be living and working in the US, not here as a visitor. So for me that is immigrating.
Not perhaps, in fact actually.

You also seem to know more than we do, lol...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.