tracking canucks

Old Jun 4th 2002, 7:20 pm
Jovoj

Default tracking canucks

When a Canadian departs from the United States does Canada inform the US that the
Canadian has left their country? Assuming there was no visa and no I-94, how does the
US know how long the Canadian was in the country?

Old Jun 4th 2002, 10:20 pm
Mark & Tammy

Default Re: tracking canucks

"jovoj" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When a Canadian departs from the United States does Canada inform the US that the
    > Canadian has left their country? Assuming there was no visa and no I-94, how does
    > the US know how long the Canadian was in the
country?
    >

When you cross the border by vehicle, or when you go through customs before boarding
the plane. The US imigration official will make an entry into the computer. When my
wife and I were travelling across the border two to four times a month, this was all
dully noted, checked and confirmed when I was paroled into the US. We told the truth
everytime, and it always pays off. Because it is all in the system.

Mark

Old Jun 4th 2002, 11:20 pm
James Donovan

jovoj <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > When a Canadian departs from the United States does Canada inform the US that the
    > Canadian has left their country? Assuming there was no visa and no I-94, how does
    > the US know how long the Canadian was in the country?

This is a loophole we need to close.

Old Jun 4th 2002, 11:20 pm
Bm

This can depend. A lot of the time, Canadians are checked for Canadian citizenship
and not checked, at least before 9-11. Every Canadian Visitor I've encountered had
absolutely nothing in the system.

If you paroled, that means that they did a little extra for you for some reason. Most
Canadians do not need to be paroled unless they're filing for adjustment.

"Mark & Tammy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "jovoj" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > When a Canadian departs from the United States does Canada inform the US that the
    > > Canadian has left their country? Assuming there was no visa and no I-94, how does
    > > the US know how long the Canadian was in the
    > country?
    > >
    >
    > When you cross the border by vehicle, or when you go through customs
before
    > boarding the plane. The US imigration official will make an entry into
the
    > computer. When my wife and I were travelling across the border two to
four
    > times a month, this was all dully noted, checked and confirmed when I was paroled
    > into the US. We told the truth everytime, and it always pays off. Because it is all
    > in the system.
    >
    > Mark

Old Jun 5th 2002, 2:20 am
Jovoj

I know they enter you into the computer when you visit the US. But I assume Canadian
customs doesn't contact the US when you come home to let them know you're visit's
over. So essentially the US knows you came down but not for how long, unless you
used an I-94.

Also, why do they ask on the bio form (G-325 I think) for the dates of visits to the
US? Shouldn't they have this information?

Old Jun 5th 2002, 3:20 am
Aftonokla

>This is a loophole we need to close

Why? What business is it of anybody where one travels and for how long he stays? I
prefer freedom.

Old Jun 5th 2002, 4:20 am
James Donovan

"BM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] t.net>...
    > This can depend. A lot of the time, Canadians are checked for Canadian citizenship
    > and not checked, at least before 9-11. Every Canadian Visitor I've encountered had
    > absolutely nothing in the system.

That may change soon. The land border with Canada is one of the holes that was seen
as an entry point for terrorists so expect some changes there.

Old Jun 5th 2002, 3:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Aftonokla
    <i><font size=-2 color=darkgreen>>This is a loophole we need to close</font></i>

Why? What business is it of anybody where one travels and for how long he stays? I
prefer freedom.
And the world we live in today is no longer a free one. It is the business of the country you want to visit. When you visit you are a guest and when a guest comes to my home it is usually at my invitation and I set the timeline and conditions for the visit

R
Old Jun 6th 2002, 3:20 am
Aftonokla

>And the world we live in today is no longer a free one. It is the business of the
    >country you want to visit. When you visit you are a guest and when a guest comes to
    >my home it is usually at my invitation and I set the timeline and conditions for
    >the visit

In the case of Canada the borders have long operated on the honor system between
citizens of both countries and should continue to do so.

Old Jun 6th 2002, 4:20 am
James Donovan

[email protected] (AftonOkla) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > >This is a loophole we need to close
    >
    > Why? What business is it of anybody where one travels and for how long he stays? I
    > prefer freedom.

It is the business of our US national security. A terrorist can easily hide out in
Canada and come to the US.

Canadians are NOT US citizens. They are visitors like everyone else.

Old Jun 6th 2002, 3:20 pm
Stuart Brook

James Donovan wrote:
    >
    > [email protected] (AftonOkla) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >This is a loophole we need to close
    > >
    > > Why? What business is it of anybody where one travels and for how long he stays?
    > > I prefer freedom.
    >
    > It is the business of our US national security. A terrorist can easily hide out in
    > Canada and come to the US.
    >
    > Canadians are NOT US citizens. They are visitors like everyone else.

And believe me, there are times when even law abiding visitors are treated by the INS
at the border as if they were criminals and terrorists. We most certainly are made to
know that we are visitors like everyone else, but US law has given Canadians certain
privileges on entry to the US ... such as not requiring a visa for most purposes, and
not requiring a passport. This is US LAW.

Most terrorists that you complain of are not Canadian citizens though, and you have a
whole heap of home grown terrorists, and the INS lets terrorists into the US from all
over the world, never mind from Canada.

The INS cannot track the comings and goings of all the people coming to the US on a
reliable basis today through the I-94 system. Only a sampling of parts of the I-94
are ever matched up. They could never keep tabs on the millions of crossings of
Canadians into the US without plugging up the border.

Stuart

Old Jun 6th 2002, 10:20 pm
James Donovan

Stuart Brook <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:<[email protected] da.ca>...

> Most terrorists that you complain of are not Canadian citizens though, and you have
    > a whole heap of home grown terrorists, and the INS lets terrorists into the US from
    > all over the world, never mind from Canada.

But you are missing my point. It is so easy to cross the border from Canada, citizen
or not. We NEED to check people coming into our country so that at least we reduce
the possibility of a terrorist sneaking in via Canada.

> The INS cannot track the comings and goings of all the people coming to the US on a
    > reliable basis today through the I-94 system. Only a sampling of parts of the I-94
    > are ever matched up. They could never keep tabs on the millions of crossings of
    > Canadians into the US without plugging up the border.

No, they can do it with electronic I-94's and systems similar to EZ-Pass.

Old Jun 6th 2002, 11:20 pm
James Donovan

[email protected] (AftonOkla) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > >And the world we live in today is no longer a free one. It is the business of the
    > >country you want to visit. When you visit you are a guest and when a guest comes
    > >to my home it is usually at my invitation and I set the timeline and conditions
    > >for the visit
    >
    > In the case of Canada the borders have long operated on the honor system between
    > citizens of both countries and should continue to do so.

This "honor system" has been responsible for illegal aliens crossing the border. We
need to honor our own country only and start tracking entries and exits.

Old Jun 6th 2002, 11:20 pm
Stuart Brook

James Donovan wrote:
    >
    > Stuart Brook <[email protected] > wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected] da.ca>...
    >
    >
    > > Most terrorists that you complain of are not Canadian citizens though, and you
    > > have a whole heap of home grown terrorists, and the INS lets terrorists into the
    > > US from all over the world, never mind from Canada.
    >
    > But you are missing my point. It is so easy to cross the border from Canada,
    > citizen or not. We NEED to check people coming into our country so that at least we
    > reduce the possibility of a terrorist sneaking in via Canada.
    >
    > > The INS cannot track the comings and goings of all the people coming to the US on
    > > a reliable basis today through the I-94 system. Only a sampling of parts of the
    > > I-94 are ever matched up. They could never keep tabs on the millions of crossings
    > > of Canadians into the US without plugging up the border.
    >
    > No, they can do it with electronic I-94's and systems similar to EZ-Pass.

They've already proven they can't do that ... They looked at that, and it would plug
the border. The automated Pass systems like INSpass are often down. Moreover it
requires people to check out of the US as well as in.

Proportionally no more terrorists are known to have entered from Canada than in any
other way.

Old Jun 7th 2002, 1:20 am
Bm

It's kinda like people from certain countries complaining about the new
fingerprinting and photographing of certain nationalities. If you don't like it ie,
if your' Canadian and you don't like being tracked, DON't COME HERE!

"AftonOkla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > >This is a loophole we need to close
    >
    > Why? What business is it of anybody where one travels and for how long he stays? I
    > prefer freedom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.