Thank You! Also some questions..

Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:12 pm
S.F
Just Joined

S.F is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Thank You! Also some questions..

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say a quick thank you - I've been a lurker on here while applying for my O-1A visa and some of the information has been invaluable. Happy to say that I just had my visa approved at the London embassy so I should hopefully receive my passport w/ stamp next week!

I've been reading up on the next steps I will have to take when I arrive in the US and have read some conflicting information regarding things like social security numbers, so I wondered if anyone could help clear things up..

As far as I can tell, I need to wait at least 10 days after entering the country and then I should visit my local Social Security Office with my passport & I-797 to apply for a SSN - does that sound correct?

Also, should I wait until I have an SSN before trying to open a US bank account or should I not have any issues if I just take my passport to a local branch?

Another question on a different note: my I-797 was not returned at the end of my interview. Does that usually get delivered along with the passport?

Thanks again!

Last edited by S.F; Jun 8th 2016 at 12:53 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thank You! Also some questions..

Originally Posted by S.F
As far as I can tell, I need to wait at least 10 days after entering the country and then I should visit my local Social Security Office with my passport & I-797 to apply for a SSN - does that sound correct?
Yes, mostly! You need only your passport and valid visa.

Also, should I wait until I have an SSN before trying to open a US bank account or should I not have any issues if I just take my passport to a local branch?
If you have the time, wait - it'll make things a bit easier for you. Not having a SSN isn't a bar to opening a US bank account (because your passport will serve as a unique identifier), but most front-line bank staff only know to ask for a SSN.

Ian
Old Jun 8th 2016, 1:29 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

When we got our O-1 & O-3 visas the I-197 was indeed returned with the passports.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:53 am
S.F
Just Joined

S.F is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, mostly! You need only your passport and valid visa.

If you have the time, wait - it'll make things a bit easier for you. Not having a SSN isn't a bar to opening a US bank account (because your passport will serve as a unique identifier), but most front-line bank staff only know to ask for a SSN.

Ian
Great to know, thanks!

Originally Posted by lizzyq
When we got our O-1 & O-3 visas the I-197 was indeed returned with the passports.
Phew, that's a relief!
Old Jun 10th 2016, 6:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
.... Not having a SSN isn't a bar to opening a US bank account (because your passport will serve as a unique identifier), but most front-line bank staff only know to ask for a SSN. .....
The requirement, per the USA PATRIOT Act, is for new customers to provide evidence of four pieces of indentifying information: your name, addess, date of birth, and a "government issused ID number".

If the bank employee baulks at opening an account without a SSN ask to speak to the supervisor or manager, ..... and if they also refuse tell them that "the USA PATRIOT Act only requires a government issued ID number, not an SSN specifically". If they still baulk, go to a different bank.

If the government issued ID number isn't a SSN or TIN then you will be confined to opening a non-interest-earning account.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 10th 2016 at 6:21 pm.