Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Tax Returns for N-400 initial filing

Tax Returns for N-400 initial filing

Old Oct 17th 2017, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

yensidtlaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Returns for N-400 initial filing

Hey everyone.

I had a question that I couldn't find an answer for.

I am filing form N-400 and under the "Document Checklist, Current Fees, Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet" pdf given at https://www.uscis.gov/n-400 it lists that, along with other documents, I need to send:

Code:
Documents referring to you and your spouse:
a. Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, birth certs of children OR
b. IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both files for the past 3 years OR
c An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.
Among what is listed, I am sending:
Bank statements from the 3 years
Leases from the 3 years
mortgages and birth certs of children are N/A

My question is about the tax returns. I have ordered an IRS tax return transcript from the 3 years to be sent via mail (they aren't offering new user sign ups to print instantly at this time or I would do that). However, I didn't really want to wait for those to come in if our regular tax forms will do. I have the official forms that we filed for our taxes for the past 3 years. I did NOT want to send every page of that, so I have made copies of the front page showing where we put married filing jointly and it lists our residence, our signature page and the page from H&R Block where we signed to have an electronic signature. Will that be enough to those with prior experience?

The reason I want to get this filed sooner rather than waiting on the transcripts to come through is that the vast majority of jobs in my industry require citizenship and I want to be able to move into them as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Returns for N-400 initial filing

Originally Posted by yensidtlaw
Hey everyone.

I had a question that I couldn't find an answer for.

I am filing form N-400 and under the "Document Checklist, Current Fees, Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet" pdf given at https://www.uscis.gov/n-400 it lists that, along with other documents, I need to send:

Code:
Documents referring to you and your spouse:
a. Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, birth certs of children OR
b. IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both files for the past 3 years OR
c An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.
Among what is listed, I am sending:
Bank statements from the 3 years
Leases from the 3 years
mortgages and birth certs of children are N/A

My question is about the tax returns. I have ordered an IRS tax return transcript from the 3 years to be sent via mail (they aren't offering new user sign ups to print instantly at this time or I would do that). However, I didn't really want to wait for those to come in if our regular tax forms will do. I have the official forms that we filed for our taxes for the past 3 years. I did NOT want to send every page of that, so I have made copies of the front page showing where we put married filing jointly and it lists our residence, our signature page and the page from H&R Block where we signed to have an electronic signature. Will that be enough to those with prior experience?

The reason I want to get this filed sooner rather than waiting on the transcripts to come through is that the vast majority of jobs in my industry require citizenship and I want to be able to move into them as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
I am not sure where you are seeing that about tax returns. You do not routinely have to send them with the application. The Instructions to N-400 say(Page 12 D):

Tax Returns and Overdue Taxes. Bring photocopies of income tax returns that you filed with the IRS for the past 5 years, or 3 years if filing for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen. Tax returns are not
required for every case. However, USCIS strongly encourages you to bring your tax returns; especially if you are filing based on marriage to a U.S. citizen or have traveled outside the United States for a period that lasted
6 months or more. You can request copies of Federal tax documents at your local IRS office or www.irs.gov.

You may also bring an original IRS tax transcript listing tax information for the past 5 years (3 years if filing on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen). To obtain a free IRS tax transcript, visit www.irs.gov. Select “Tools” and then select “Order a Return or Account Transcript.” For assistance, you can also call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946.

My recollection is that I simply took photocopies of my own copies of my Tax Returns to my interview, but they did not even ask for them.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Oct 17th 2017 at 7:59 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
My recollection is that I simply took photocopies of my own copies of my Tax Returns to my interview, but they did not even ask for them.
Thank you. Did you take the entire copy or just the pages that I mentioned?
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I did my N-400 based on 5+ years' residency so I didn't need the tax records (I ordered tax transcripts) until the interview but the officer did keep them for my file.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yensidtlaw
Thank you. Did you take the entire copy or just the pages that I mentioned?
I took the entire copy of each year because it seems to me that it what instruction says.

All the best with your application.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
All the best with your application.
Thanks.