What do I tell Border Check?

Old Dec 24th 2012, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

diaryofalways is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do I tell Border Check?

I left Austin to go to Del Rio, TX with my wife to spend Xmas with her family. When we head home, we will have to pass through a border check. I am currently in the process of adjusting status (awaiting decision after submitting requested evidence post-interview)
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:01 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I tell Border Check?

You have to pass through a border check? According to Google Maps, the entire journey (I-35 and US 90) is within the US borders. If you never left the US, then you never left the US and your status did not change.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Yes there is a border check before entering Del Rio. I passed through it once before but that was when my visa waiver was still valid.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 5:10 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diaryofalways
Yes there is a border check before entering Del Rio. I passed through it once before but that was when my visa waiver was still valid.
So are you saying that you did cross a US border? You mentioned Del Rio, Texas specifically, so I am assuming you never went across the border into Acuña. If you never crossed a US border, you never crossed a US border, and you can say that to the border control officers.

I'll also say what we say on this forum to everyone dealing with border control: Don't volunteer information. If they ask whether you are in the country legally, you say YES, because you are (assuming you didn't leave the US for more than the legally allowed time).

Last edited by Speedwell; Dec 24th 2012 at 5:15 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

No I did not travel across any border thank you for your help
Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
So are you saying that you did cross a US border? You mentioned Del Rio, Texas specifically, so I am assuming you never went across the border into Acuña. If you never crossed a US border, you never crossed a US border, and you can say that to the border control officers.

I'll also say what we say on this forum to everyone dealing with border control: Don't volunteer information. If they ask whether you are in the country legally, you say YES, because you are (assuming you didn't leave the US for more than the legally allowed time).
You do get border checks a good distance inside the US border, especially in states like Texas. You don't have to cross the US border to go through a border check. They are looking for illegals.

OP, tell them the truth.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Present your EAD card, or if you don't have that then your I-797 receipt notice from the adjustment of status application.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

I have my EAD card with me, but not the receipt you mention.
Old Dec 25th 2012, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have my EAD card with me, but not the receipt you mention.
So you're fine then!

Ian
Old Dec 25th 2012, 11:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
...... OP, tell them the truth.
But don' t volunteer any information you are not asked for, nor confuse matters with convoluted answers.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 2:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You answer the questions that are asked of you, which will probably be the same information that you have written here in your post.

Regards, JEff

I left Austin to go to Del Rio, TX with my wife to spend Xmas with her family. When we head home, we will have to pass through a border check. I am currently in the process of adjusting status (awaiting decision after submitting requested evidence post-interview)
Old Dec 26th 2012, 2:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
You have to pass through a border check? According to Google Maps, the entire journey (I-35 and US 90) is within the US borders. If you never left the US, then you never left the US and your status did not change.
There are often surprise border checkpoints on US roads within a few miles of US borders. They have them on occasion on the US Thruway/Northway about 10 to 20 miles from the Can/Am border in New York State.
Old Dec 26th 2012, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
There are often surprise border checkpoints on US roads within a few miles of US borders. They have them on occasion on the US Thruway/Northway about 10 to 20 miles from the Can/Am border in New York State.
Legally they can be something like up to 100 miles from the border. The checks are often fairly casual. Whatever you do, you must NOT make any claim to US citizenship, like saying "yeah yeah we're all American in here".