Suspension of nonessential visas?

Old Jun 11th 2003, 7:25 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suspension of nonessential visas?

Hi,

Not that I am panicking or anything, but on another board I just saw reference to a Bill to suspend non-essential visas... please can anyone with any information please unravel this?

http://thomas.loc.gov/ then type in HR 2235 in the search box.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

May 22, 2003
Mr. GRAVES introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

To suspend certain nonessential visas, in order to provide temporary workload relief critical to the successful reorganization of the immigration and naturalization functions of the Department of Homeland Security, to ensure that the screening and monitoring of arriving immigrants and nonimmigrants, and the deterrence of entry and settlement by illegal or unauthorized aliens, is sufficient to maintain the integrity of the sovereign borders of the United States, and for other purposes.

Is this likely to become law?
Old Jun 11th 2003, 8:03 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Please excuse the profanity but...

I bloody well hope not.

Seriously, I'd like to think that it will be kicked back pretty rapidly or at the very least HEAVILY modified before it passes.

Despite the potential suffering it could cause (whose to say how long it could before the DHS is deemed "fixed" and the suspensions lifted) how many jobs could be lost by the potential damage it could cause to the economy?

Hmm.....
Old Jun 11th 2003, 2:59 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: Suspension of nonessential visas?

lairdside wrote:
    > Please excuse the profanity but...
    >
    > I bloody well hope not.
    >
    > Seriously, I'd like to think that it will be kicked back pretty rapidly
    > or at the very least HEAVILY modified before it passes.
    >
    > Despite the potential suffering it could cause (whose to say how long
    > it could before the DHS is deemed "fixed" and the suspensions lifted)
    > how many jobs could be lost by the potential damage it could cause to
    > the economy?

What job lost? I don't see the direct affect to the economy, what is it?

Old Jun 11th 2003, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope someone on capital hill has some sense not to let this get anywhere.

Not the least of which would be, think of the insane backlog of cases they would have and the substantial loss of tourism in meantime. Not to mention the increased load on the embassies as everyone who wants to travel has to get a visa. Oh but it probably says they suspend that too.

I would highly suspect such nonsense as a thinly veiled attempt to close the borders because they are scared some potential "terrorists" might get in. In my opinion, it's closed minded, short sighted, and, like the BBC article someone posted yesterday about the US expelling 11,000 Muslims who registered in good faith, likely to cause more hatred toward America and increase the likelyhood of "terror." If it went into law, it would be just one more step toward the US becoming a fascist state.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 3:30 pm

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I have just seen another link about this

http://www.house.gov/graves/newsroom/031003a.htm

Debbie
Old Jun 11th 2003, 3:31 pm

Originally posted by Mrtravel
lairdside wrote:
    > Please excuse the profanity but...
    >
    > I bloody well hope not.
    >
    > Seriously, I'd like to think that it will be kicked back pretty rapidly
    > or at the very least HEAVILY modified before it passes.
    >
    > Despite the potential suffering it could cause (whose to say how long
    > it could before the DHS is deemed "fixed" and the suspensions lifted)
    > how many jobs could be lost by the potential damage it could cause to
    > the economy?

What job lost? I don't see the direct affect to the economy, what is it?
I think lairdside means the tourist industry.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 3:33 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by dbark
I think lairdside means the tourist industry.
And other business too. L-1 visa's, VWB, EB'S, ... how many people would be persuaded to take their business and investment elsewhere?
Old Jun 11th 2003, 3:36 pm
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by lairdside
And other business too. L-1 visa's, VWB, EB'S, ... how many people would be persuaded to take their business and investment elsewhere?

Any idea how much a University makes off a foreign student ????

Nice cut in revenue for them if they don't have any anymore because the visa's aren't being issued. Some may wait until next year but many more may decide to study in another country instead.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 4:08 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lairdside
Any idea how much a University makes off a foreign student ????

Nice cut in revenue for them if they don't have any anymore because the visa's aren't being issued. Some may wait until next year but many more may decide to study in another country instead.
Tell me about it! Five times of what is paid by an in-state student if what I'm told is true. My ex. had what it cost to put our daughter through College in the US for four years all made out on a spread-sheet. Definitely a loss of revenue for all the Colleges at least...
Old Jun 11th 2003, 6:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Debbie,

Before I join the panic and protest - what visas does this proposed legislation define as nonessential visas?

And which of those nonessential visas are the "certain nonessential visas" that are proposed to be suspended?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by dbark
Hi,

Not that I am panicking or anything, but on another board I just saw reference to a Bill to suspend non-essential visas... please can anyone with any information please unravel this?

http://thomas.loc.gov/ then type in HR 2235 in the search box.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

May 22, 2003
Mr. GRAVES introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

To suspend certain nonessential visas, in order to provide temporary workload relief critical to the successful reorganization of the immigration and naturalization functions of the Department of Homeland Security, to ensure that the screening and monitoring of arriving immigrants and nonimmigrants, and the deterrence of entry and settlement by illegal or unauthorized aliens, is sufficient to maintain the integrity of the sovereign borders of the United States, and for other purposes.

Is this likely to become law?
Old Jun 11th 2003, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Debbie,

Before I join the panic and protest - what visas does this proposed legislation define as nonessential visas?

And which of those nonessential visas are the "certain nonessential visas" that are proposed to be suspended?

Regards, JEff

Copied from bill HR 2235:

Sec. 3. Temporary suspension of visa waiver program.

The admission of aliens to the United States under section 217 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1187) is suspended.

Sec. 4. Temporary suspension of adjustment of status.

(a) IN GENERAL- The authority of the Secretary of Homeland Security to adjust the status of any alien to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence under section 240A of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1229b) or section 245 of such Act (8 U.S.C. 1187), is suspended.

(b) EFFECT ON APPLICATIONS- The suspension described in subsection (a) shall include the suspension of acceptance for filing of applications for the adjustments of status described in such subsection.

Sec. 5. Temporary suspension of renewals of temporary protected status.
Sec. 6. Temporary suspension of certain immigrant visa programs.
(a) BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF CITIZENS- The allocation of family-sponsored immigrant visas to alien brothers and sisters of citizens under section 203(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(a)(4)), and the admission of such aliens to the United States as immigrants, is suspended.

(b) SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF CITIZENS- The allocation of family-sponsored immigrant visas to alien sons and daughters of citizens under paragraph (1) or (3) of section 203(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(a)), and the admission of such aliens to the United States as immigrants, is suspended.

(c) UNMARRIED SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT ALIENS-

(1) IN GENERAL- The allocation of family-sponsored immigrant visas to aliens who are the unmarried sons and daughters (but are not the children) of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence under section 203(a)(2)(B) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(a)(2)(B)), and the admission of such aliens to the United States as immigrants, is suspended.

(2) CHILDREN- The allocation of family-sponsored immigrant visas to aliens who are the children
of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence under section 203(a)(2)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(a)(2)(A)), and the admission of such aliens to the United States as immigrants, is suspended, except that this paragraph shall not apply to dependent children who are under 18 years of age at the time an immigrant visa becomes available to the child.

(d) DIVERSITY IMMIGRANTS- The allocation of immigrant visas to aliens under section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(c)), and the admission of such aliens to the United States as immigrants, is suspended.

Sec. 7. Restriction of nonimmigrant visas for nationals of countries denying or delaying acceptance of aliens.

Sec. 8. Waivers of temporary suspensions.

Sec. 9. Termination of temporary suspensions.

Sec. 10. Suspension of nonimmigrant visas.

(a) IN GENERAL- The authority of the Secretary of State to issue nonimmigrant visas is suspended. The authority of the Secretary of Homeland Security to admit nonimmigrant aliens into the United States is suspended.

(b) EFFECT ON APPLICATIONS- The suspensions described in subsection (a) shall include the suspension of acceptance for filing of applications for nonimmigrant visas and applications for admission as a nonimmigrant.

Last edited by Trinity; Jun 11th 2003 at 6:36 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

slmndr13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For what it's worth:

"Latest Major Action: 5/22/2003 Referred to House committee.

I don't know how long a bill typically stays within a committee prior to reaching the next stage, but I'd be curious to know if someone else does.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default question...

Hi all,
I read the information, but have a question....would this affect petitions and applications that are currently in-progress, or just not allow NEW petitions to be filed? Would it stop someone mid-point in the whole process?

If it was stated there, sorry, I missed it.... :-)
Rene
Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:00 pm
Mrtravel

jeffreyhy wrote:
    > Debbie,
    >
    > Before I join the panic and protest - what visas does this proposed
    > legislation define as nonessential visas?
    >
    > And which of those nonessential visas are the "certain nonessential
    > visas" that are proposed to be suspended?
    >

It's in the bill. You should read it. It's not too long, and the link
was quoted in your followup.

Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

vazagothic is an unknown quantity at this point

I've done some research of how long does it take for some bills
(the immigration ones mainly) to pass all the levels of bureaucracy..

Here are few examples:
H.R.1806
4/11/2003:
Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.
5/5/2003:
Referred to the Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims.

H.R.1567
(that one is weird - to deny citizenship at birth to children born in the United States of parents who are not citizens or permanent resident aliens. )
4/2/2003:
5/5/2003:

H.R.488
1/29/2003:
Introductory remarks on measure. (CR E94-95)
1/29/2003:
3/6/2003:

So it seems there's still some time to fill the AOS and not be
included into this dumb bill ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.