Student loans

Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:56 pm
Frequent Flyer

Carolina Tiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student loans

Can anyone give me an idea about student loan payments in from the US?

I don't have a UK bank account anymore and the SLC website never works.

I have just got a letter telling me that I have to pay my arrears by the date the letter arrived with threats of a debt collection agency in the country I live in. Can they do this?

Any help of suggestions or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:16 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student loans

What country are you in ?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:17 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by Haggerwood
What country are you in ?
The US. Sorry I should have been a bit more specific.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:30 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the US too and as far as I know they can't do anything as such other than bother your but I don't know that for an absolute fact. I have heard some countries have deals with the UK for debt collection but I know an American woman and an English guy who left the UK and "sold" their car and furniture to someone else only for it to be discovered that they had loans out on both. The debt couldn't be pursued in the US and they now live happily ever after in PA.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carolina Tiger
Can anyone give me an idea about student loan payments in from the US?

I don't have a UK bank account anymore and the SLC website never works.

I have just got a letter telling me that I have to pay my arrears by the date the letter arrived with threats of a debt collection agency in the country I live in. Can they do this?

Any help of suggestions or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks
Phone the student loans people and discuss your situation with them.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:32 pm
Frequent Flyer

I am in the US too and as far as I know they can't do anything as such other than bother your but I don't know that for an absolute fact. I have heard some countries have deals with the UK for debt collection but I know an American woman and an English guy who left the UK and "sold" their car and furniture to someone else only for it to be discovered that they had loans out on both. The debt couldn't be pursued in the US and they now live happily ever after in PA.
Where abouts in PA? I'm in PA as well

I wish I could find out some specifics so that I didn't have to mess with this s.h.1.t
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:32 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Phone the student loans people and discuss your situation with them.
I've tried that but I work weird hours and can't really call them when they are open. You would not believe how unhelpful they are.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried that but I work weird hours and can't really call them when they are open. You would not believe how unhelpful they are.
I'm also in the US. I've never had a problem contacting them by phone. My experience with them has been the polar opposite to yours.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:42 pm
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I'm also in the US. I've never had a problem contacting them by phone. My experience with them has been the polar opposite to yours.
How do you pay them Ozzidoc?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:09 am
Banned

You will be throwing good money after bad. The economy there is in ruins anyway.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How do you pay them Ozzidoc?
I actually don't need to pay them because right now I do not have any earned income.

I need to tell them this every year. I might send them a cheque occasionally. I'm about to set up a standing order though.

I appreciate that it must be harder for you if you don't have a UK bank account.

They must encounter people in a similar situation.

Any reason why you do not have a UK bank account? Can you come to an arrangement with a relative to use theirs?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You will be throwing good money after bad. The economy there is in ruins anyway.
Huh?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:11 am
Banned

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...t=va&aid=21045
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:16 am
Frequent Flyer

A hundred quid is $159.134 at the moment. Unfortunately I need it to tank a bit more.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What exactly is your point?

The OP came here to ask for assistance on how to repay her debt.

If I understand you correctly, it seems that you are implying she should simply avoid repaying her debt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.