Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Strategic visa planning to stay together while CR1 visa approval pending...

Strategic visa planning to stay together while CR1 visa approval pending...

Old Feb 15th 2015, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Strategic visa planning to stay together while CR1 visa approval pending...

Originally Posted by theJBs
What is this waiver you're referring to BunnyGirl?
I 601 as mentioned earlier.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 8:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strategic visa planning to stay together while CR1 visa approval pending...

I'm looking at numerous CR-1 timelines here and most are reporting a 6 month period from filing the 130 to interview appointment.
You might be reading outdated information. It can take 4 to 6 months just to get the I-130 approved. After that, it takes another few months to go through the actual visa application process. Also, lately NVC has been having nightmare backlogs, pushing cases out another several months. I'd figure at least 12 months from filing I-130 to getting Immigrant Visa in hand. If it happens sooner, be pleasantly surprised. If it happens later, don't be frustrated.

Rene
Old Feb 15th 2015, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

And the waiver....
Old Feb 15th 2015, 10:59 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
And the waiver....
Assuming he is qualified for a waiver.

There is always a "private bill" which may or may not be a possibility.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Assuming he is qualified for a waiver.

There is always a "private bill" which may or may not be a possibility.
There is that, a d3 does not mimic a 601 in all respects.

Never seen a private bill, Hail Mary option?
Old Feb 15th 2015, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

theJBs is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what you fellas are talking about but a quick Google of "private bill US citizenship" results in a wiki page that states private bills were common between 1817 and 1971? It then goes on to explain that in 2012 a Nigerian student became the first person in 2 years to be the beneficiary of a private bill.

Would you mind elaborating further about this, please sirs?
Old Feb 15th 2015, 11:24 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I used the wrong word "amnesty" because he isn't technically giving them legalization, but the number is accurate. It was headline news across the nation on multiple platforms: Obama Goes It Alone, Shielding Up To 5 Million Immigrants From Deportation : The Two-Way : NPR

This 5 million entered the country illegally and took advantage of Obama's soft spot. They also didn't need to follow ian-mstm's advice of marrying someone who doesn't need a visa.

I'd also like to add that I did not give my political opinion on the issue, I was simply using it as an example of what appears to be injustice.
Immigration attorneys are discussing "DACA" and soon to be "DAPA" and it is noted that, other than the immigration violations, the non-citizen must be fairly squeaky clean. On the "I-601A" for waiver of unlawful presence, the consular officers will revoke the waiver if a waiver is needed for anything else.

My point is that various executive actions only benefit people whose only sin is being here illegally. And the benefits are actually quite narrow and particularly are not a "path to citizenship." [I was in practice during the 1987-88 Legalization which was THE "amnesty" and did lead to a green card].

If President Obama really wanted to do a true "amnesty" that would aid many people here unlawfully, it would take only an executive order to put "PIP" in place. Of course, that would really cause brown material to hit the fan.

As noted previously, OP's fiance apparently has sometime of drug conviction when he was 17. [It is amazing how there are what we us legal types call "bright lines." If it had been at age 16, it would have been treated differently].

[BTW, in chatting with my cutter as my hair was being done today, she let me know that her mother had been a childhood prisoner of the Japanese in Indonesia during World War II. She was quite impressed that I knew who the "Indos" were. The Indos were given special dispensation after World War II to immigrated to the US].
Old Feb 15th 2015, 11:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what you fellas are talking about but a quick Google of "private bill US citizenship" results in a wiki page that states private bills were common between 1817 and 1971? It then goes on to explain that in 2012 a Nigerian student became the first person in 2 years to be the beneficiary of a private bill.

Would you mind elaborating further about this, please sirs?
I think getting into something like a private bill needs the help of a competent immigration attorney. Your husband would probably have to be someone very special (or provide the USA with something very special) to be considered, but of course you can always ask. We laymen on here wouldn't know much about those details.

Rene
Old Feb 15th 2015, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Provide the US with something special...hmmm, how about the key to one USC's ultimate happiness?

Thanks again to each of you for responding. Knowledge is power.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 12:12 am
Account Closed

DAPA rules are not out yet. You do not need to be squeaky clean for DACA.

You can google it but could quite possibly not qualify for the VWP but qualify for DACA.

PiP would be easier than AP but pretty marginal.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 2:38 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by Boiler

Never seen a private bill, Hail Mary option?
Very much so. I never did one. I've known of them happening, but very rare.

Also, I understand that an enduring legacy of the "ABSCAM" scandal of the early 80's, many Congresspeople and staffers are wary of those requests. In today's political climate, I think the chances are even less.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

TheJBs: Have you looked up the grounds for inadmissability and availability of waivers for immigrant visas? In addition to your own reading, I would also get in touch with an immigration attorney with experience in immigrant waivers. The rules are strict and the stakes are high - the earlier you get competent counsel, the better.

Please be aware that there may be no avenue for your husband to immigrate to the US.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by retzie
TheJBs: Have you looked up the grounds for inadmissability and availability of waivers for immigrant visas? In addition to your own reading, I would also get in touch with an immigration attorney with experience in immigrant waivers. The rules are strict and the stakes are high - the earlier you get competent counsel, the better.

Please be aware that there may be no avenue for your husband to immigrate to the US.
No, we haven't. Didn't even realize a need to until this weekend after speaking with you all. Any suggestions on where to look for respectable immigration attorneys? ...Or suggestions on what steps we need to take? We are at the mercy of so many and would certainly appreciate your advice. I wouldn't feel safe running a google search for something this important.

Last edited by theJBs; Feb 16th 2015 at 3:43 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Feb 16th 2015, 4:25 pm

AILA's Immigration Lawyer Search, start contacting some. Be specific in your needs. Only go with ones who have actually done this type of case, specifically.

Rene
Old Feb 16th 2015, 4:56 pm
BE Commentator

One of the waiver mavens in the Immigration Bar is Laurel Scott in Houston TX.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.