Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Strategic visa planning to stay together while CR1 visa approval pending...

Strategic visa planning to stay together while CR1 visa approval pending...

Old Feb 15th 2015, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

theJBs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Strategic visa planning to stay together while CR1 visa approval pending...

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
if you want cold hearted bureaucracy then you might want to try familiarizing yourself with the requirements for non EU spouses moving to the UK.

count yourself lucky that you aren't being forced to live in a third country for how ever many months before the US will let you in.
Very true, Zoe.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 2:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strategic visa planning to stay together while CR1 visa approval pending...

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
if you want cold hearted bureaucracy then you might want to try familiarizing yourself with the requirements for non EU spouses moving to the UK.

count yourself lucky that you aren't being forced to live in a third country for how ever many months before the US will let you in.
The UK has similar "income and/or assets" rules as the US, and in both countries there are people unable to meet the prescribed income and/or assets" requirements to enable them to bring their spouse into the country. The EU provided an end-run around UK's rules, therefore in that respect the UK's rules are "more generous" because the US has no such end-run available.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theJBs
re: criminal record...yes for drugs and served a custodial for it, however he was 17. During the B2 visa interview, the interviewer was initially concerned but after seeing how long ago it had been, she found no issues. He has not been in trouble since...14 years later.
You seem to have done your research, but I have to ask: you know that the grounds for inadmissability for drug offences are much tougher for immigrant than non-immigrant visas? Did he need to go through the full waiver process for the B-2? Have you checked the details of his case against the immigrant requirements?

There are plenty of people with drug offences who obtained a B-2/L-1/etc., yet can never actually immigrate
Old Feb 15th 2015, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by retzie
You seem to have done your research, but I have to ask: you know that the grounds for inadmissability for drug offences are much tougher for immigrant than non-immigrant visas? Did he need to go through the full waiver process for the B-2? Have you checked the details of his case against the immigrant requirements?

There are plenty of people with drug offences who obtained a B-2/L-1/etc., yet can never actually immigrate
Yes, he did go through the waiver process to obtain the B-2. And, I did not realize that the grounds were different for non-immigrant vs. immigrant. I'm wondering if there would be any exceptions considering he was 17 when,he committed the crimes and has never been,in trouble since?
Old Feb 15th 2015, 3:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... I'm wondering if there would be any exceptions considering he was 17 when he committed the crimes and has never been,in trouble since?
Both of those facts will be part of the consideration, they are not necessarily sufficient.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 3:26 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he did go through the waiver process to obtain the B-2. And, I did not realize that the grounds were different for non-immigrant vs. immigrant. I'm wondering if there would be any exceptions considering he was 17 when,he committed the crimes and has never been,in trouble since?
General comment: unfortunately for you, the fact that he was 17 does have an effect.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you again everyone for replying...really. All angles are certainly appreciated.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice that Obama just granted amnesty for over 5 million illegal immigrants!!!! ...but it's going to take 8-12 months of tedious paperwork, scrutiny, and interviews for 1 man to come live with his WIFE!!!
Can not see how it would be that quick.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Can not see how it would be that quick.
I'm looking at numerous CR-1 timelines here and most are reporting a 6 month period from filing the 130 to interview appointment.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best guess is a year for a CR1 total, plus another 6 months for a waiver.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like there's a choice between having what we want (each other, romantic wedding, etc.) and the kind of cold hearted visa restrictions forced upon us by the good ol US of A.
There is an easy solution... marry someone who doesn't need a visa. That said, the US immigration process often takes the romance out of a wedding! You do what you need to do in order to make things work. As I've noted many times in the past, US immigration is not Burger King.

Nice that Obama just granted amnesty for over 5 million illegal immigrants!!!! ...but it's going to take 8-12 months of tedious paperwork, scrutiny, and interviews for 1 man to come live with his WIFE!!!
With respect, neither undocumented aliens nor President Obama is responsible for the life choices you've made. Further, almost all of us here have gone through that "8-12 months of tedious paperwork, scrutiny, and interviews" to be with the person we love. We survived... you will too! In the grand scheme of things, it's negligible compared to being with each other for many years to come.

I'm looking at numerous CR-1 timelines here and most are reporting a 6 month period from filing the 130 to interview appointment.
Word of advice: it is inherently dangerous to your sanity to follow other people's timelines.

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:11 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like you were looking at DCF CR1s, which you're not eligible to do. I130s filed in the US take approx. 6 months to approve then another 6 months to get through NVC/London. So you're looking at least 12 months without a waiver...
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

What is this waiver you're referring to BunnyGirl?
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:56 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Five million to get green cards via "amnesty?" Interesting. Personally, I think the number of non-citizens eligible for "parole in place" is nowhere near five million.

Personally, I have no problems with unifying families of those who served the United States. I know that bothers a lot of people, but I have no problem with agreeing to disagree.

Now, if the administration was to expand PIP beyond military petitioners, that would be something. BTW, I don't have the statistics, but I would not be surprised if the number of people taking advantage of such an "amnesty" would be quite a bit less than five million.

A further note, I don't think that there is any "Obama policy" for people with drug offenses.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Five million to get green cards via "amnesty?" Interesting. Personally, I think the number of non-citizens eligible for "parole in place" is nowhere near five million.

Personally, I have no problems with unifying families of those who served the United States. I know that bothers a lot of people, but I have no problem with agreeing to disagree.

Now, if the administration was to expand PIP beyond military petitioners, that would be something. BTW, I don't have the statistics, but I would not be surprised if the number of people taking advantage of such an "amnesty" would be quite a bit less than five million.

A further note, I don't think that there is any "Obama policy" for people with drug offenses.
Sorry I used the wrong word "amnesty" because he isn't technically giving them legalization, but the number is accurate. It was headline news across the nation on multiple platforms: Obama Goes It Alone, Shielding Up To 5 Million Immigrants From Deportation : The Two-Way : NPR

This 5 million entered the country illegally and took advantage of Obama's soft spot. They also didn't need to follow ian-mstm's advice of marrying someone who doesn't need a visa.

I'd also like to add that I did not give my political opinion on the issue, I was simply using it as an example of what appears to be injustice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.