SSN for K-2

Old Jan 31st 2001, 1:56 pm
misti39

Hi Everyone:

When I crossed the border earlier this month with my daughter and fiance the border guard
said they no longer gave EAD stamps in the passports.

As I have learned from reading posts here this EAD stamp is not necessary to get a SSN. I
went down to our local SS office with the memo from the SSA EM-00154 dated Nov. 1,2000.
Well, of course when the woman didn't see an EAD stamp in my passport she said I couldn't
apply for a SSN. Then I showed her the memo, which she hadn't seen before. I was then
registered for a SSN and she said I would get it in about 10 days. Great! Then I said,
okay, now I need one for my daughter who came here with me on a K-2 Visa. She said, sorry,
it doesn't say anything about K-2's being able to get a SSN in this memo and I'm not about
to put my job on the line to give you one for her.

I tried to explain that there can be no K-2 without a K-1, so it stood to reason that this
memo would cover both. She still wasn't budging. She said I have to bring an EAD card in
for my daughter before she can issue her a SSN. Well since my daughter is 11 and not
planning to work any time soon, based on the information at Alvena's page I am not filing
an I-765 form for EAD for her.

So, the question is, how do I get my daughter a SSN? Any ideas? I have sent an email to
the same office that the memo came from asking them this same question but haven't gotten
a reply yet. I just wondered if any one else has had this experience and has some wisdom
to share with
me. Thanks for all your help in the past.

Misti

P.S. Sorry to be so long winded

Old Jan 31st 2001, 2:17 pm
jeffreyh1

Misti,

I don't think you can get your daughter a SSN until she is old enough to work. There is
really no reason why she needs one before then, other than for tax purposes, and you get
an ITIN from the IRS for that. An ITIN looks just like a SSN - same number of digits in
the same pattern - so any time someone asks for her SSN for identification purposes just
give them the ITIN. This is what I've done for my 10 yr old stepson who is a K-2.

Regards, JEff there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots
-----------------------------------------
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi Everyone:
>
> When I crossed the border earlier this month with my daughter and
fiance
> the border guard said they no longer gave EAD stamps in the passports.
>
> As I have learned from reading posts here this EAD stamp is not necessary to get a SSN.
> I went down to our local SS office with the memo from the SSA EM-00154 dated Nov.
> 1,2000. Well, of course when
the
> woman didn't see an EAD stamp in my passport she said I couldn't apply for a SSN. Then I
> showed her the memo, which she hadn't seen before. I was then registered for a SSN and
> she said I would get it in about
> days. Great! Then I said, okay, now I need one for my daughter who came here with me on
> a K-2 Visa. She said, sorry, it doesn't say anything about K-2's being able to get a SSN
> in this memo and I'm not about to put my job on the line to give you one for her.
>
> I tried to explain that there can be no K-2 without a K-1, so it stood to reason that
> this memo would cover both. She still wasn't budging. She said I have to bring an EAD
> card in for my daughter before she can issue her a SSN. Well since my daughter is 11 and
> not planning to
work
> any time soon, based on the information at Alvena's page I am not
filing
> an I-765 form for EAD for her.
>
> So, the question is, how do I get my daughter a SSN? Any ideas? I
have
> sent an email to the same office that the memo came from asking them this same question
> but haven't gotten a reply yet. I just wondered if any one else has had this experience
> and has some wisdom to share with
> me. Thanks for all your help in the past.
>
> Misti
>
> P.S. Sorry to be so long winded
>

>

--

Old Jan 31st 2001, 6:40 pm
misti39

Thanks JEff, that makes perfect sense to me. Like you said, really all we need the number
for would be tax purposes or perhaps identification. I think the ITIN number would do the
trick. Now where do I get one of those, do I just call the IRS?

Thanks for your prompt response.

Misti

> Misti,
>
> I don't think you can get your daughter a SSN until she is old enough
to
> work. There is really no reason why she needs one before then, other than for tax
> purposes, and you get an ITIN from the IRS for that. An ITIN looks just like a SSN -
> same number of digits in the same pattern
-
> so any time someone asks for her SSN for identification purposes just give them the
> ITIN. This is what I've done for my 10 yr old stepson
who
> is a K-2.
>
> Regards, JEff there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots
> -----------------------------------------

Old Jan 31st 2001, 6:53 pm
jeffreyh1

Misti,

Yes. Or you can look here: <http://www.irs.gov/prod/ind_info/itin.html>

Regards, JEff there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots
-----------------------------------------
> Thanks JEff, that makes perfect sense to me. Like you said, really all we need the
> number for would be tax purposes or perhaps
identification.
> I think the ITIN number would do the trick. Now where do I get one of those, do I just
> call the IRS?
>
> Thanks for your prompt response.
>
> Misti
>
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
> > Misti,
> >
> > I don't think you can get your daughter a SSN until she is old
enough
> to
> > work. There is really no reason why she needs one before then,
other
> > than for tax purposes, and you get an ITIN from the IRS for that.
An
> > ITIN looks just like a SSN - same number of digits in the same
pattern
> -
> > so any time someone asks for her SSN for identification purposes
just
> > give them the ITIN. This is what I've done for my 10 yr old stepson
> who
> > is a K-2.
> >
> > Regards, JEff there are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots
> > -----------------------------------------
>

>

--

Old Feb 1st 2001, 1:16 am
MDUdall

The advice about getting an ITIN number for your K-2 is good advice. In the way of general
information, I'm going to repost some general information I've posted in the past about
the issue of K-1'ers and K-2'ers getting Social Security numbers. These postings add a
little more information then appears on the memo as they discuss K-2'ers eligibility, plus
the Social Security's ability to delay issuance of the SS number if they want to take the
time for "secondary" verification. Enjoy.

From my posting to the news group on 08/01/00 (This is only part of the posting on
08/01/00): Some of you may have read that yesterday I flew to San Francisco to attend an
AOS interview for one of my client couples. As always, I used the travel time to catch up
on some of my reading, and I read a few things in the AILA August 2000 Northern
California Chapter publication that I thought might be of interest to some of the news
group visitors.

At the District Director (for the San Francisco INS office) AILA liaison meeting, the
subject of K-1'ers getting Social Security numbers came up. As you all know, this can be
difficult sometimes, and the question was asked to the DD about this problem. He replied
that the INS and the SSA have recently conducted numerous joint-training seminars, and the
SSA has formulated a national policy with respect to people on R and K status who are
applying for a SS number. A) An individual in valid K-1 status, "with or without an EAD",
is entitled to a social security number. B) An individual in valid K-2 status "with an
EAD" is entitled to a social security number. I'm not going to put in the things about the
R visa holders, as that is not the usual interest of this news group.

-//-

From my posting to the news group on 11/04/00: Bill, perhaps you are remembering a posting
I posted to the news group a while ago discussing the SSA issuing SS numbers to K-1 and
K-2 applicants. I'll post it again as it deals with the issue of K-2's applying for a
social security number.

During a July 2000 meeting with the District Director at the San Francisco INS office, it
was pointed out that the Social Security Administration has been unwilling to issue social
security numbers to individuals properly admitted in R-1 and K-1 status. It was asked of
there was anything the SFDO could do in letting the SSA know these individuals are
entitled to social security numbers?

The reply was that the INS and the SSA have recently conducted numerous joint training
seminars. The SSA has enunciated the following national policy with respect to individuals
in R and K status (MDUdall here. I won't be listing the information about persons with R
status as that is outside the scope of most people who visit this news group). (A) An
individual in valid K-1 status, "with or without an EAD" is entitled to a social security
number. (B) An individual in valid K-2 status "with and EAD" is entitled to a social
security number.

It was suggested that in cases where the SSA does not issue entitled individuals social
security numbers, this should be brought to the attention of the SSA supervisors. It was
also noted that in some circumstances SSA could delay (up to 30 days) issuance of a social
security number to someone otherwise entitled while a secondary verification is conducted.

-//-

Best Regards, Matthew Udall Attorney http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/fiancee.htm Copyright
2001 Matthew Udall