Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

SS number and usa passport for children

SS number and usa passport for children

Old Mar 20th 2018, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Tango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default SS number and usa passport for children

Hello everyone.
I applied for us passports for my teens (my husband us now naturalized) , we sent all the required documents. Today we received a letter asking for their ss#. They do not have ss#. We just never got around to get getting them. The post office person assured us it wasn't necessary.
Now, I have called the passport folks and am waiting on a call back but the rep I spoke with was not very reassuring. Meanwhile I was thinking of going to the ss office to get the ss#, problem is I have sent the greencards, birth certificates with the passport application!
Will they be able to issue them with photocopies of the documents?
I feel awful, not sure what to do.
Thanks
Old Mar 20th 2018, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SS number and usa passport for children

Originally Posted by Tango17
Hello everyone.
I applied for us passports for my teens (my husband us now naturalized) , we sent all the required documents. Today we received a letter asking for their ss#. They do not have ss#. We just never got around to get getting them. The post office person assured us it wasn't necessary.
Now, I have called the passport folks and am waiting on a call back but the rep I spoke with was not very reassuring. Meanwhile I was thinking of going to the ss office to get the ss#, problem is I have sent the greencards, birth certificates with the passport application!
Thanks
I’m not certain they’ll accept a photocopy. When I went down there I took originals of everything and I believe they then made copies.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The SS office needs to see originals.

I would not think a SSN would be required to get a passport.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tango17
Hello everyone.
Thanks
Did you also give them your husband's naturalization certificate? Yes, you should have gotten them SS#'s as soon as they were eligible for them, i.e. green card, etc. SS#'s are normally asked for on school records, medical offices, etc. I honestly do not believe that Social Security Administration will accept a photocopy of their green cards as proof of eligibility. Have the passport paperwork returned to you (if it does indeed require a SS#), apply for the number (will take approximately 10 days to be received) and resubmit the passport paperwork.

Are you going to naturalize, as well?
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Tango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond reputeTango17 has a reputation beyond repute

We took a trip to the ss office and yes we cannot get the ss cards without the original greencards.
I am waiting on a phone call from the passport application officer, hoping they will issue the passports.
Yes, I have sent the naturalization certificate with the passport application.
I am planning to apply for my citizenship after kids paperwork/certificates have arrived.
Daughter will be applying for colleges/financial aid in a few months so hopefully we will be able to get the ss cards soon.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 12:25 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I would not think a SSN would be required to get a passport.

Rene
It's part of the checking the State Dept. does now, it's mentioned on the application form.