Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Spouse on L2, EAD and biometrics question

Spouse on L2, EAD and biometrics question

Old Nov 1st 2016, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

barua is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse on L2, EAD and biometrics question

All,
My spouse will be on L2 soon and I guess the biometrics will be done here in UK before we leave.
What i was wondering was:
1) She travels with me to US and applies for her EAD.(not sure if we need SSN for EAD). If we need it can we apply SSN first?
2) Then head back to UK to resign and serve her notice period by that time her EAD would have been approved(3 months) and then join me back in US.
Planning to do this in two week's leave that she is taking from her current employer in UK.
3) We had visited US a few months ago on ESTA but don't remember getting any I-94. Now do we need this I-94 or would be get a new one when we actually enter on L1/L2 visas?

Question is after applying EAD does she have to undergo another biometrics in US?
Will this plan workout?

thanks in advance,
Barua
Old Nov 1st 2016, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse on L2, EAD and biometrics question

You don't need an SSN to apply for an EAD but you should get one ASAP - the L2 holder needs to take your marriage certificate to the social security office though, they ask to see it but helpfully don't mention this anywhere online.

You'll have been issued an electronic I-94 which you can access here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov

You'll get a new I-94 when you enter on your L visas.

Yes she probably will have to do biometrics at an application support center before the EAD is approved. They send an appointment notice in the mail with a date and time you have to attend.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 3:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Her EAD biometrics (if required) will be done in the USA.

1. She doesn't need a SSN to apply for EAD. I don't know if an L2 is immediately eligible for SSN, but I think they are (someone can confirm).

2. Yes, that's fine.

3. You'll get a new I-94 when you enter on L visas. The I-94s are found online now, you'll have to go online to print a copy for the EAD application.

There is only one biometrics done, and it's in the USA after submitting the EAD application. That said, biometrics may or may not be required for an L visa EAD...someone will have to confirm.

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2016, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

3. You'll get a new I-94 when you enter on L visas. The I-94s are found online now, you'll have to go online to print a copy for the EAD application.

There is only one biometrics done, and it's in the USA after submitting the EAD application. That said, biometrics may or may not be required for an L visa EAD...someone will have to confirm.

Rene
For our EAD, all we did was apply and it arrived in the mail.
No further appointments.
I think the biometrics, might be random

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 1st 2016 at 3:41 pm. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old Nov 1st 2016, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

MeMeJD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Her EAD biometrics (if required) will be done in the USA.

1. She doesn't need a SSN to apply for EAD. I don't know if an L2 is immediately eligible for SSN, but I think they are (someone can confirm).

I can confirm that L2 is immediately eligible for SSN. My husband and I received ours at the same time.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone, another concern. Read in some forums that you cannot travel while EAD is still in processing as they check the I-94 and find that you have exited the country so not on L2 status? Confused! someone please help understand.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 11:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barua
Thanks everyone, another concern. Read in some forums that you cannot travel while EAD is still in processing as they check the I-94 and find that you have exited the country so not on L2 status? Confused! someone please help understand.
I've never heard of a problem doing this. To my knowledge you don't have to remain inside the USA while the EAD processes. Do you have a link to where you read that? Perhaps you're confusing it with a K-1 process and applying for AP?

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 2nd 2016 at 5:09 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I've never heard of a problem doing this. To my knowledge you don't have to remain inside the USA while the EAD processes. Do you have a link to where you read that? Perhaps you're confusing it with a K-1 process and applying for AP?

Rene
Thanks Noorah101. This is the link that put me into confusion
Traveling on L2 Visa when EAD application is pending

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 2nd 2016 at 4:47 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Read in some forums that you cannot travel while EAD is still in processing...
Nonsense!

... as they check the I-94 and find that you have exited the country so not on L2 status?
More nonsense! The I-94 is irrelevant in this situation. There is no immigration exit control in the US. No one cares that you leave the US. All that matters is that you enter the US using your L-2 visa.

This is the link that put me into confusion.
The first person who responded in that thread is an idiot.

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 5:14 pm

Thanks Noorah101. This is the link that put me into confusion
Traveling on L2 Visa when EAD application is pending
That info is not correct....and also from 2008! When researching, make sure you are reading current information.

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2016, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. That's reassuring.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:33 am
Just Joined

acrossThePonder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone

I've recently joined this forum with hope to finding answers around L2 and EAD process.

Came across some very useful feedback from forum members here.

We are in same boat next month. My wife and kids plan to join me in US for two weeks during Easter break.

She too, plans to apply for EAD whist there and will be traveling back with kids to finish their school year before returning to US in Aug.

We wonder if it's worthwhile applying for EAD during this trip or wait until Aug (resulting in work downtime).

We do have relatives in US whose address we plan to use for correspondence related to EAD.

Barua, have you completed the EAD process. Did your spouse have to undergo biometrics in US again.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acrossThePonder
We wonder if it's worthwhile applying for EAD during this trip...
All else being equal, yes - so long as she has time to do biometrics before she leaves. Also, keep in mind that government offices are often closed from Good Friday to Easter Monday.

Ian
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

I did the EAD trip recently.

Flew over in February for 5 days, filled in the form and posted it off to USCIS and returned to London.

Never got called for biometrics.

EAD arrived in the mail yesterday and I fly to NYC to start tomorrow.

Whole process took 42 days from posting forms to receiving the card. So substantially quicker than the stated 60-90 days in my case. Probably because I look so good in the photos I submitted.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:31 am
Just Joined

acrossThePonder is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks much for your feedback @ian-mstm and @generalpowerpoint.

Lots of anxiousness regarding the move, but I'll post those question in relevant forums threads

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.