Sponsoring family

Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsoring family

Originally Posted by mthomas77
Hi S Folinsky , thanks for mentioning this. So if my understnding is correct, even though my kids may be over 21 at the time of the paperwork being approved, they will still be entitled to a green card?
May
Old Nov 17th 2017, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
May
No, one cannot say that at this stage. As said, they MAY be eligible for a Green card, but who know that far ahead and what the dependents circumstances might be?

Put in your application and hope for the best.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 3:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi S Folinsky , thanks for mentioning this. So if my understnding is correct, even though my kids may be over 21 at the time of the paperwork being approved, they will still be entitled to a green card?
Just to be clear, everyone who is eligible when the priority date becomes current, will be getting an Immigrant Visa. Not a green card.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:11 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Potentially. CSPA allows the amount of time that the petition is pending with USCIS to be deducted from the child's age. However:
- at 21 (or older) your children may have no interest in moving with you. Most have left home by then and got their own lives.
- the children would have to remain unmarried to qualify. They cannot bring spouses, fiances, partners, etc with them so if in the meantime they have met the love of their life in the U.K. (or anywhere else outside the USA) they might not want to go and leave them behind
- if anything happens to your brother (death or he just decides not to sponsor you anymore) your petition and chances of a visa also die
- immigration is very much a moveable feast, now more than ever. Such categories of chain migration could be axed anyway

So you are dealing with something that is by no means a certainty. If you're a gambling man, then go ahead. But I wouldn't bet the farm on getting a visa this way for all of you. Remember also, just because you are hell-bent on living here (and the older you get, the less that makes sense to me considering you'll have to start from scratch again with getting a job, place to live, etc) your kids may not be so thrilled about it when the time comes.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

mthomas77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just to be clear, everyone who is eligible when the priority date becomes current, will be getting an Immigrant Visa. Not a green card.

Rene
thanks Rene
Old Nov 18th 2017, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Potentially. CSPA allows the amount of time that the petition is pending with USCIS to be deducted from the child's age. However:
- at 21 (or older) your children may have no interest in moving with you. Most have left home by then and got their own lives.
- the children would have to remain unmarried to qualify. They cannot bring spouses, fiances, partners, etc with them so if in the meantime they have met the love of their life in the U.K. (or anywhere else outside the USA) they might not want to go and leave them behind
- if anything happens to your brother (death or he just decides not to sponsor you anymore) your petition and chances of a visa also die
- immigration is very much a moveable feast, now more than ever. Such categories of chain migration could be axed anyway

So you are dealing with something that is by no means a certainty. If you're a gambling man, then go ahead. But I wouldn't bet the farm on getting a visa this way for all of you. Remember also, just because you are hell-bent on living here (and the older you get, the less that makes sense to me considering you'll have to start from scratch again with getting a job, place to live, etc) your kids may not be so thrilled about it when the time comes.
thank you Twinkle0927
Old Nov 18th 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Just what I was about to say. It seems pretty clear that the F visas are Public Enemy Number One as far as that goes.
No prediction of the future. That said, examination of the past may be useful.

The citizen sibling category has been long proposed for elimination. What I say "long" it's elimination was proposed in the 1980 proposals which eventually became the 1986 and 1990 legislation.

Also, there is a history of not abolishing existing waiting lists.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
No prediction of the future. That said, examination of the past may be useful.

The citizen sibling category has been long proposed for elimination. What I say "long" it's elimination was proposed in the 1980 proposals which eventually became the 1986 and 1990 legislation.

Also, there is a history of not abolishing existing waiting lists.
thanks good to know. thanks S Folinsky