Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Son visiting UK whilst applying for Visa

Son visiting UK whilst applying for Visa

Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

mumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nice
Default Re: Son visiting UK whilst applying for Visa

Originally Posted by ;7012819
My ex has supplied the following info in his statement to the court on a headed letter from an attorney in New York : 1. As a UK citizen, C will be able to enter the US under the VWP.
2. Upon entry to the US, your wife may file an I-130 Immigrant Petition for C as her stepchild. The application will process in approx 12-18 mths and you, your wife and your son may need to attend an interview with USCIS in New York.
Once the petition is filed, C will be able to legally stay in US and attend school.
Just to reassure everyone - I am doing everything I can on the custody front. I have looked after my 3 children alone all their lives but my 14 yr old is somewhat attracted to the bright lights of New York, his wealthy father's house, huge plasma tv and lots of promises.......he has been giving mixed messages to court welfare officers and his father has told him that if he does not go now, he can never go.
My reason for posting on this site was to check out the process on entering the US and see whether what my ex is planning is acceptable. Also, I was concerned that, once in US, my son would not be allowed back to the UK whilst his green card was being processed. i|t now sounds like this is the case.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 27th 2008 at 11:51 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ;7012862
........I was concerned that, once in US, my son would not be allowed back to the UK whilst his green card was being processed. i|t now sounds like this is the case.
No problem going back to the UK.

The problem would be returning to the US...

Last edited by Rete; Nov 27th 2008 at 11:51 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
It's not legal to AOS from VWP with prior intent for a spoue. Are we sure that the same applies to a child/stepchild?

Especially since an attorney seems to be officially recommending it?
Sounds like they may possibly be able to do it:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

". If your child, son or daughter is legally inside the United States when a visa number, if necessary, becomes available, he or she may then apply to adjust to Permanent Resident status. "
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
There was a case a few months ago where a Brit mum was considering having her daughter 'come and stay'. The clear advice at the time (including from Mr. F, if memory serves me right), was that this was illegal.

[What was her name again....... married to a USC soldier.......... whatever happened to her...]
And then, maybe what I put above is wrong. I'll have to try to find the case you're talking about.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:44 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ;7012862
Just to reassure everyone - I am doing everything I can on the custody front. I have looked after my 3 children alone all their lives but my 14 yr old is somewhat attracted to the bright lights of New York, his wealthy father's house, huge plasma tv and lots of promises.......he has been giving mixed messages to court welfare officers and his father has told him that if he does not go now, he can never go.
My reason for posting on this site was to check out the process on entering the US and see whether what my ex is planning is acceptable. Also, I was concerned that, once in US, my son would not be allowed back to the UK whilst his green card was being processed. i|t now sounds like this is the case.
He will be able to leave, getting back into the US is the hard part.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 27th 2008 at 11:52 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
There was a case a few months ago where a Brit mum was considering having her daughter 'come and stay'. The clear advice at the time (including from Mr. F, if memory serves me right), was that this was illegal.

[What was her name again....... married to a USC soldier.......... whatever happened to her...]
Is this the one?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...r+usc+daughter
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

No, she was a young Brit who, with one of her daughters 'moved' to the US to be with her USC husband - on the VWP. She lived on an army base ('Kissimet' or something?), and her husband was deployed to Iraq. She initially posted because her daughter was refused school attendance because she was not 'resident'. She then tried to bring her other daughter to the US, also using the VWP Express. It was a VERY long thread, I seem to remember. Wish I could remember her name though...
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

". If your child, son or daughter is legally inside the United States when a visa number, if necessary, becomes available, he or she may then apply to adjust to Permanent Resident status. "
That's only if the child is already in the USA (after entering without the intent to stay).

That is not the case here.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

mumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Yes that's my fear. Actually a friend of mine is in exactly this position. His 2 sons went to live with their mother 18 mths ago in Canada - they were previously living in the UK with him. He has a UK court order stating they have to visit here 3 times per year but they do not yet have their residency papers and would not be allowed back into Canada if they visited their father here. It is his case that alerted me to the problem I might face with my own son should my ex win custody of him.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
As part of the AOS package, can't they apply for AP? That would allow the child to go visit the UK (and return to the USA) while waiting for the AOS to process.

Of course, I understand the goal is not to let the child leave the UK at all. And, he'd miss school going back and forth a lot.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As part of the AOS package, can't they apply for AP? That would allow the child to go visit the UK (and return to the USA) while waiting for the AOS to process.

Of course, I understand the goal is not to let the child leave the UK at all. And, he'd miss school going back and forth a lot.

Rene
If he came in on the VWP?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:02 pm

If he came in on the VWP?
I guess so...as long as he didn't overstay...but I'm not a lawyer.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

An Immediate Relative is an Immediate Relative is an Immediate Relative.

Parent, Spouse, Child under 21

The child can 'do it' the same as a spouse can. The issue is intent at arrival. Sheesh, go back to the thread you were on yesterday where MDU spelled it out again. AND MrF's comments in that thread.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
An Immediate Relative is an Immediate Relative is an Immediate Relative.

Parent, Spouse, Child under 21

The child can 'do it' the same as a spouse can. The issue is intent at arrival. Sheesh, go back to the thread you were on yesterday where MDU spelled it out again. AND MrF's comments in that thread.
I'll have to look for it. I've seen the attorneys comment a lot re. a spouse, but don't remember re. a child.

Just wondering - since it appears a New York attorney says it's legit.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Hi whats an AP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.