Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Six month secondment to University of Washington

Six month secondment to University of Washington

Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

leeds229 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Six month secondment to University of Washington

Hi all,

I am a cancer researcher currently based in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

I have recently secured a three year contract to continue my research. However, as part of this I will need to spend 6 months working at the University of Washington in Seattle. In intend on commencing this 6 month period in September 2018.

I have absolutely no idea where to start. If anyone could provide details on visa, medical insurance etc it would be much appreciated.

Also, I would like to bring my wife with me. Does this throw up any issues or is it straightforward enough?

Thanks
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six month secondment to University of Washington

It sounds like you might be a candidate for a J-1 visa, or failing that an F-1 student visa, or if all else fails an H-1B uncapped work visa for educational purposes. In short, it should be quite straight forward, but the university needs to take the initiative to apply for the visa. It should be a very routine for the university and their lawyers, and I al sure they know which visa applies to your situation. All of these visa alternatives come with a trailing spouse visa which is almost guaranteed once your visa has been approved - the requirements for a trailing spouse are very limited.

Medical insurance is usually offered through the university, so ask them about that, it should be relatively affordable.

BTW Welcome to BE. Please take a moment to review the site rules in the link at the far right of the buff coloured menu bar above.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 19th 2017 at 1:31 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Are you not being provided any advice or help on the visa side of things with this offer? I would be surprised if you are not.

Do you work for an educational institution in Belfast? And will the University of Washington be paying you or will you current employer be paying you?

You may be eligible for a cap-exempt H1B as I assume you'll be doing research for an educational institution, but they will have to sponsor the application.

If H1B is the path you go, your wife can get an H4 visa but she will not be allowed to work.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

leeds229 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiversaint
Are you not being provided any advice or help on the visa side of things with this offer? I would be surprised if you are not.

Do you work for an educational institution in Belfast? And will the University of Washington be paying you or will you current employer be paying you?

You may be eligible for a cap-exempt H1B as I assume you'll be doing research for an educational institution, but they will have to sponsor the application.

If H1B is the path you go, your wife can get an H4 visa but she will not be allowed to work.
I had to arrange the placement myself prior to submitting the grant application that eventually led to my contract offer. I have contacts in place at the University of Washington who are happy for me to work in their lab but all arrangements were pretty informal through the application process.

Queen's University in Belfast will be paying me throughout my visit to America. I am also not sure how this will work with income tax etc.

Thanks for the responses
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah...you might have screwed yourself a bit here. There are commercial J-1 sponsors which will do what you need but I have no experience of them. A short google should pull up a list.

Normally the University you are going to would be dealing with your visa sponsorship, as Pulaski rightly says.

In terms of tax residency status, go through this, you'll get your answer quite easily there: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...ien-tax-status

Reality is you'll almost certainly be a tax resident so will have to pay tax on any income earned.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeds229
I had to arrange the placement myself prior to submitting the grant application that eventually led to my contract offer. I have contacts in place at the University of Washington who are happy for me to work in their lab but all arrangements were pretty informal through the application process. ....
OK, so if you are taking the initiative you will need to make contact with the university's HR/visas team. All large universities have such a team to support their visiting academics.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:48 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link provided by UW.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:15 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't offer any advice but did want to say you've picked a fantastic place to spend 6 months. Remember to wear blue on Fridays..