Sister

Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

KenBarber1111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sister

Hi. My sister just became a US citizen last month after marrying an American, ect. She would like to sponsor my mum into the US. Am I correct in saying that if she did this, my mum would be able to sponsor me into the US also? If so, how long would this process take generally. I am unmarried, no kids, ect. Obviously me and mum both British. Thanks.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sister

Hi, welcome to BE.

My guess is about 10 years for both processes (assuming you'll be over 21 when your Mum applies?), and for your Mum to move over in-between. But you can look at the visa bulletin to give you a better idea - just remember that it's current processing info, so times can increase or decrease. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...uary-2018.html

And our forum pros will be along shortly to give you more accurate info I'm sure, with some words of wisdom.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Your sister could also technically sponsor you.

You'd have a few options;
1) You sister sponsor you directly as a sibling
2) Your sister sponsor your Mum, your Mum then immediately sponsor you (when she has a green card) which would give you a lower visa priority
3) Your sister sponsor your Mum, your Mum waits the 5 years, files N-400, becomes a citizen then sponsors you (as a US citizen)

Frankly though, I don't see any of them getting you to the US in under 10 years.

Edit: I should add, this is all presuming they don't do away with sibling sponsorships & permanent residents (GC holders) sponsoring their family. Which seems very possible with the current administration.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously a major commitment, I take it that you Mum has the work skills to obtain US employment.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's sister is a US citizen, so she can sponsor her mother and, as mother is an immediate relative, there is no wait time for the visa.

Mother could be in the States within a year.

Mother, when a US citizen in about 5 years time, could then sponsor her son.

All according to the age of the son and whether he is married or not, he could be waiting between 6 and 12 years.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...uary-2018.html
Old Jan 31st 2018, 9:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
.... Frankly though, I don't see any of them getting you to the US in under 10 years. ....
No, sponsoring a parent in most cases is much quicker (depend on the nationality of the parent), but probably less than two years.

Siblings on the other hand take a lot longer - I think currently around 14 years but that wait time is growing rapidly, and I have seen estimates that say sponsorship for a sibling filed today might take 30 years to be approved.

A parent sponsoring their adult child (21 or older) is similar to sponsoring a sibling, taking around 12 years if married (or around 7 years if not married), but the wait time is also growing rapidly and as for sponsorship of a sibling, sponsorship filed today might take 30 years to be approved.

Take a look at this post in another similar recent thread, and the posts after it in the same thread, for a discussion of why the numbers in the visa bulletin are pretty meaningless.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 31st 2018 at 9:53 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 9:17 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Does she have the financial wherewithal to support your mum financially?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Does she have the financial wherewithal to support your mum financially?
....... especially in the case of medical insurance/treatment.

How old is mother and is she intending to work?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She can sponsor him as a PR if he remains single.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, sponsoring a parent in most cases is much quicker (depend on the nationality of the parent), but probably less than two years.
OP is asking about wether his mother, once in the US, can sponsor him. She can, as both a PR and USC, but the wait times would differ. Equally his sister could also sponsor him as a sibling. But even the quickest way (his mother being a USC and him being a single, over 21 son would be theoretically 12-13 years. (5 years to naturalize + N-400 timelines + then visa bulletin) So I stand by my 10 year remark
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
OP is asking about wether his mother, once in the US, can sponsor him. ...
Yeah. Thx. I can read.
.... She can, as both a PR and USC, but the wait times would differ. Equally his sister could also sponsored him as a sibling. But even the quickest way (his mother being a USC and him being a single, over 21 son would be theoretically 12-13 years. (5 years to naturalize + N-400 timelines + then visa bulletin) So I stand by my 10 year remark
Go read the link in my last post. The ten year figure is illusory, based on some false assumptions.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KenBarber1111
Hi. My sister just became a US citizen last month after marrying an American, ect. She would like to sponsor my mum into the US. Am I correct in saying that if she did this, my mum would be able to sponsor me into the US also? If so, how long would this process take generally. I am unmarried, no kids, ect. Obviously me and mum both British. Thanks.

Your sister did not become a US Citizen after marrying an American, ETC.

When did she first get her green card and when was her naturalization oath ceremony?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The OP's sister is a US citizen, so she can sponsor her mother and, as mother is an immediate relative, there is no wait time for the visa.

Mother could be in the States within a year.

Mother, when a US citizen in about 5 years time, could then sponsor her son.

All according to the age of the son and whether he is married or not, he could be waiting between 6 and 12 years.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...uary-2018.html
You mean, mother when she is eligible to file for naturalization in 5 years time. It may take her an additional 12 to 24 months to become a USC if the current wait times continue. So the timeline for her to become a US Citizen is between 5-1/2 to 7 years from the date she enters the US as a legal permanent resident.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 31st 2018 at 10:50 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:25 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Those who are eligible for online filing of N-400 are getting through the process of filing to oath ceremony in around 4 months.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 10:35 am
Just Joined

KenBarber1111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody seems sure. Never mind - I will get my sister to contact a US immigration attorney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.