Selective Services for N400

Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

gaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nice
Default Selective Services for N400

Hi All-

N-400 interview is coming up - Next Thursday (Nov 3). I became a permanent resident after my 26th birthday - 26 years and 7 months to be precise. Do I need to take some documentation that proves that I did not need to register for Selective Services? I have all the old passports and VISAs that show that I resided as a non-immigrant (F1, H1, EAD, etc) between the ages of 14 and 26.

I could get it, but it will not be before next Thursday. What do you guys think? Needless panic?

Thanks
-- Gaude
Old Oct 24th 2005, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selective Services for N400

Originally Posted by gaude
I became a permanent resident after my 26th birthday - 26 years and 7 months to be precise.
When did you apply for PR? Your application for PR might have superseded all other visas. If this was before your 26th birthday, you might have been required to register. I'm sure others will chime in here.

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2005, 5:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All-

N-400 interview is coming up - Next Thursday (Nov 3). I became a permanent resident after my 26th birthday - 26 years and 7 months to be precise. Do I need to take some documentation that proves that I did not need to register for Selective Services? I have all the old passports and VISAs that show that I resided as a non-immigrant (F1, H1, EAD, etc) between the ages of 14 and 26.

I could get it, but it will not be before next Thursday. What do you guys think? Needless panic?

Thanks
-- Gaude

You didn't register while you were pending?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

gaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
You didn't register while you were pending?
Let me see if I can recall the exact time line.

I turned 26 in December of 2001 - I was yet unmarried and on an H1 visa.
I got married in Jan of 2002.
I filed my AOS paperwork, EAD, etc in Feb or 2002 (I was 26 years and 2 months old).
My interview was in June of 2002. Got my card September of 2002, with an AOS date of July 31, 2002 (So, 26 years and about 7 months when I got the status adjusted).

So, essentially, I had not filed for AOS until after my 26th birthday and I assumed that I was not required to file for Selective Services....Did I screw it up?

Thanks much
-- Gaude
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Let me see if I can recall the exact time line.

I turned 26 in December of 2001 - I was yet unmarried and on an H1 visa.
I got married in Jan of 2002.
I filed my AOS paperwork, EAD, etc in Feb or 2002 (I was 26 years and 2 months old).
My interview was in June of 2002. Got my card September of 2002, with an AOS date of July 31, 2002 (So, 26 years and about 7 months when I got the status adjusted).

So, essentially, I had not filed for AOS until after my 26th birthday and I assumed that I was not required to file for Selective Services....Did I screw it up?

Thanks much
-- Gaude
So what is it that you are asking then and why?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

So what is it that you are asking then and why?
Sorry if it was not clear.

Question:
Even if I was not required to file for selective services (since I was over 26 when I applied for AOS), is there still some document that I need to carry with me to the naturalization interview that is "official" from SSS that states that I was not required to file? They have some status thing where I need to send all VISAs and all information after which they qualify it and say that I was not required to register

Why do I ask the question:
To make sure I have a comprehensive package when I go to the interview and avoid any potential delays. It is unclear from SSS or from the form whether I still need to get this status if I was never required to register with SSS

You know what is cool is that I was trying to retrace exact dates of when I filed, and it would have involved a trip back to the house to check details...but guess what, I have posted that information on these boards during around the time that I filed AOS, I-751, etc and this board is awesome enough to maintain 3+ year posts. So, now I am certain that I filed AOS after my 26th birthday

Thanks much
-- Gaude
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:03 pm
Concierge

The answer is NO

Sorry if it was not clear.

Question:
Even if I was not required to file for selective services (since I was over 26 when I applied for AOS), is there still some document that I need to carry with me to the naturalization interview that is "official" from SSS that states that I was not required to file? They have some status thing where I need to send all VISAs and all information after which they qualify it and say that I was not required to register

Why do I ask the question:
To make sure I have a comprehensive package when I go to the interview and avoid any potential delays. It is unclear from SSS or from the form whether I still need to get this status if I was never required to register with SSS

You know what is cool is that I was trying to retrace exact dates of when I filed, and it would have involved a trip back to the house to check details...but guess what, I have posted that information on these boards during around the time that I filed AOS, I-751, etc and this board is awesome enough to maintain 3+ year posts. So, now I am certain that I filed AOS after my 26th birthday

Thanks much
-- Gaude
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

The answer is NO
heh, thanks Rete. Seems you have gotten tougher over the years...lol

I appreciate the advice though

-- Gaude
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:41 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough

If I were you, I would go to the selective service site and get the free status information letter from them. It says whether you are eligible to register and is issued once in your lifetime to show to any government employee so you are not denied benefits like student loans or citizenship.

Go to: http://www.sss.gov/PDFs/SILForm.pdf

When you get this letter from them, make sure you make copies because they dont re-issue copies in the future.

Send this letter with citizenship application so that you are not asked about the ss stuff.

Also, read: http://www.sss.gov/FSmen.htm
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:54 pm
GME

You can file a form with the Selective Service people (i forget what
the form is, but it is on their webiste), submit all the information
for times when you were here, including H-1, etc., and they will then
send you a letter saying that you have satisfied them that you did not
need to register when younger. I seem to remember that it is also
free.

You probably want to do this anyway. Here, in Florida, you need to
provide proof of Selective Service Registration, etc., to get a state
job, and I can only imagine that this will spread. So, go ahead and
apply for it. In the meantime, take copies of the evidence to the
interview, together with a copy of the completed form, and tell them
that you are awaiting confirmation.

best,

Gareth

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:11:09 +0000, gaude
<member1618@british_expats.com> wrote:

>> The answer is NO
    >heh, thanks Rete. Seems you have gotten tougher over the years...lol
    >I appreciate the advice though
    >-- Gaude

Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by marasmus
If I were you, I would go to the selective service site and get the free status information letter from them. It says whether you are eligible to register and is issued once in your lifetime to show to any government employee so you are not denied benefits like student loans or citizenship.

Go to: http://www.sss.gov/PDFs/SILForm.pdf
They will not give this to him simply because he was never at any time prior to the age of 26 eligible to apply for the SS.

Gauche would have known right off the bat (which I am sure that he did because he is not a stupid man) when reading the site that F-1 and H-B are NOT eligible to register.

Your advice is nonsense.

When you get this letter from them, make sure you make copies because they dont re-issue copies in the future.

Send this letter with citizenship application so that you are not asked about the ss stuff.

Also, read: http://www.sss.gov/FSmen.htm
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:56 pm
Concierge

Again, this type of advice is nonsense since he was never required to register. It tells him that in B&W on the SS website.

As a US Citizen he is not required to show if he has or not not registered so for the most part this advice is moot since he will be one shortly. CIS knows his status and his age at various times and knows that he was not required to register.

Originally Posted by GME
You can file a form with the Selective Service people (i forget what
the form is, but it is on their webiste), submit all the information
for times when you were here, including H-1, etc., and they will then
send you a letter saying that you have satisfied them that you did not
need to register when younger. I seem to remember that it is also
free.

You probably want to do this anyway. Here, in Florida, you need to
provide proof of Selective Service Registration, etc., to get a state
job, and I can only imagine that this will spread. So, go ahead and
apply for it. In the meantime, take copies of the evidence to the
interview, together with a copy of the completed form, and tell them
that you are awaiting confirmation.

best,

Gareth

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:11:09 +0000, gaude
<member1618@british_expats.com> wrote:

>> The answer is NO
    >heh, thanks Rete. Seems you have gotten tougher over the years...lol
    >I appreciate the advice though
    >-- Gaude
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:02 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough

Rete,
I will not stoop to your low level and engage in name calling, because that would be giving your IQ the attention it craves. Am tempted to describe you with a word that starts with a B.

Getting to his question the fact that he resided in the USA in a status other than PR means he needs to prove that he was not eligible to register for SS and failed to do.

Also, his N-400 interview will be on Nov3; why do you say 'as a citizen...'.Thats wrong because one is not a citizen until they take the oath. The N-400 specifically asks whether one is registered with the SS system. So what makes you think thats 'moot' just because one will be USC 'soon'.

I was asked for this letter so as to be able to get a student loan. Its better for him to get this simple letter than go and tell USCIS that they should not ask for the letter as you imply.
=================================

Again, this type of advice is nonsense since he was never required to register. It tells him that in B&W on the SS website.

As a US Citizen he is not required to show if he has or not not registered so for the most part this advice is moot since he will be one shortly. CIS knows his status and his age at various times and knows that he was not required to register.

Last edited by marasmus; Oct 25th 2005 at 4:46 pm.