Selective Service Dilemma

Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

diehard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selective Service Dilemma

Hi Guys ,Im Freaking out about this Selective ServiceHere is my case I hope you can help me if I need to get a letter from SSS that Im not required to register when I entered the US,Arrived here on 12/14/99 on a tourist visa at the age of 24 yrs old and stayed on until my 26th birthday I was able to remain legal as my request for my extension to stay was approved,I got my PR on 07/13/03 at the age of 28yrs old.Guys my interview is on Dec.14 of this year and Im afraid that they will ask regarding my SSS.What do you think Guys of my case ? Do I still need to get a letter from SSS? or Im fine?Correct me also if Im wrong that my reason for not signing up is that Im a legal non-permanent resident during the said age period,Thanks in advance for any response
Old Oct 25th 2009, 5:48 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selective Service Dilemma

Originally Posted by diehard
my reason for not signing up is that Im a legal non-permanent resident during the said age period
Sounds good to me. Any other reason to be worried?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys ,Im Freaking out about this Selective ServiceHere is my case I hope you can help me if I need to get a letter from SSS that Im not required to register when I entered the US,Arrived here on 12/14/99 on a tourist visa at the age of 24 yrs old and stayed on until my 26th birthday I was able to remain legal as my request for my extension to stay was approved,I got my PR on 07/13/03 at the age of 28yrs old.Guys my interview is on Dec.14 of this year and Im afraid that they will ask regarding my SSS.What do you think Guys of my case ? Do I still need to get a letter from SSS? or Im fine?Correct me also if Im wrong that my reason for not signing up is that Im a legal non-permanent resident during the said age period,Thanks in advance for any response
Hi:

You look fine on the SSS issue to me.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Guys Thank you very much ,I will keep you posted,Now I feel much betterthis website is very helpful and full of nice people
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I got my PR on 07/13/03 at the age of 28yrs old.
Since you're now over age 31, it no longer matters whether you were supposed to file for SS or not. Enjoy life.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:51 am
Just Joined

3. Selective Service Registration Requirement
Those men required to register for Selective Service, who are filing for adjustment of status or consular processing of an immigrant visa, are automatically registered if they file using the more recent I-485 application form, implemented on February 7, 2000, or the DS-230 form with OMB Approval No. 1405-0015. If a person filed for either process on a different form, he may not have been automatically registered for selective service and should do so immediately if he is still under 26 years of age.

Guys this is what worries me,Even I was able to remain legal as a non-permanent resident until 06/13/01,I filed my I-485 on March 14,2001 which I was 25yrs old and my Birthday is 05/13/75.Again I got my GC at age 28,I know that my Lawyer used the new form but when I checked it I was not registered,I was just wondering because I dont have a SSN then.I hope Guys you can clear this issue to me .thanks again.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you just go over to sss.gov and see if you were ever registered? Not clear if you have done this.
I-485 currently has language on the back that enrolls you; maybe you were registered and didn't know it.

Regardless, read Ian's post again.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:54 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

3. Selective Service Registration Requirement
Those men required to register for Selective Service, who are filing for adjustment of status or consular processing of an immigrant visa, are automatically registered if they file using the more recent I-485 application form, implemented on February 7, 2000, or the DS-230 form with OMB Approval No. 1405-0015. If a person filed for either process on a different form, he may not have been automatically registered for selective service and should do so immediately if he is still under 26 years of age.

Guys this is what worries me,Even I was able to remain legal as a non-permanent resident until 06/13/01,I filed my I-485 on March 14,2001 which I was 25yrs old and my Birthday is 05/13/75.Again I got my GC at age 28,I know that my Lawyer used the new form but when I checked it I was not registered,I was just wondering because I dont have a SSN then.I hope Guys you can clear this issue to me .thanks again.
Hi:

You cannot register after you reach age 26. Failure to register is considered exhibition of a lack of good moral character. You have to exhibit five years of good moral character.

So, assuming you failed to register at all -- you will not be able to show 5 years of GMC until after May 13, 2006.

It is now THREE YEARS later. You have now shown EIGHT years of GMC. Eight is more than five.

If you want to worry, do so.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You cannot register after you reach age 26. Failure to register is considered exhibition of a lack of good moral character. You have to exhibit five years of good moral character.

So, assuming you failed to register at all -- you will not be able to show 5 years of GMC until after May 13, 2006.

It is now THREE YEARS later. You have now shown EIGHT years of GMC. Eight is more than five.

If you want to worry, do so.
Now I will stop worrying,thank you very much,I will enjoy life,BTW my wife told me exactly what you said,the only difference is that she wants to kill me for worrying to much
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... the only difference is that she wants to kill me for worrying to much
What you didn't know, was that when she said, "Till death do us part" you didn't realize she was actually setting a goal!

Ian