Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK while U.S Citizenship pending

Returning to UK while U.S Citizenship pending

Old Aug 30th 2017, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of
Default Returning to UK while U.S Citizenship pending

My wife and I are British citizens and we need to return to the UK to take care of elderly parents, one with advanced Alzheimers. We have been self employed for many years and are in our late 50s so getting a job is not really an option in the UK so we plan on buying a business to support ourselves while we are there.
However we still would like to return to the U.S when possible and we are worried that we may not get our U.S citizenship if we are out of the country too long. Our N400 was filed and we have had our biometrics appointment, and now wait for our interview appointment.
Since we have already satisfied the residency requirements by being in the U.S continuously with minimal stays outside the country (some 14 years), will file our U.S taxes for 2017 as we have every year, will our time after application spent outside the U.S go against us?
Thank you for any advice or opinions, much appreciated!
Old Aug 30th 2017, 1:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK while U.S Citizenship pending

Your US citizenship shouldn't take too much longer. I would postponed the big move to the UK until you have US passports. In the meantime, a visit to the UK won't affect your citizenship process unless it puts you over the allowed time outside the USA. Make sure you can easily come back to the USA for the interview and oath ceremony.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 30th 2017 at 1:30 am.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Your US citizenship shouldn't take too much longer. I would postponed the big move to the UK until you have US passports. In the meantime, a visit to the UK won't affect your citizenship process unless it puts you over the allowed time outside the USA. Make sure you can easily come back to the USA for the interview and oath ceremony.

Rene
Thank you Rene!

Unfortunately postponing is really not an option due to my wife's mother's health and the need to take care of her. We can for sure come back for the interview and oath ceremony. We just do not know how long we will need to be there, it is a real emotional struggle for my wife right now. If we knew a date for interview it would make the decision easier. There is nothing I can find anywhere that states that the time after filing an N400 affects the qualifying time for naturalization..I suppose the outcome may be that we lose our right to residency and naturalization, which would be very unfortunate after having been good and law abiding residents over so many years.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter if the time outside the USA is before or after filing the N-400. It all counts the same.

So you can't just go to visit for now, then come back for the interview and oath, then make the permanent move? I'm just thinking you should keep your US address active until after the oath ceremony.

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:08 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My only suggestion would be to contact your senator's office, speak with their immigration liaison, and see if they can expedite the interview process for you. It would be a shame to lose out when you are so close to getting this finalized.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It doesn't matter if the time outside the USA is before or after filing the N-400. It all counts the same.

So you can't just go to visit for now, then come back for the interview and oath, then make the permanent move? I'm just thinking you should keep your US address active until after the oath ceremony.

Rene
Yes we will have an active address in the U.S. and can return for periods up until the interview. Since we are no where even close to the 30 months out of 60 months absent (less than 5 months total in 5 years) I am wondering if we would still be ok, if we returned within 6 months, for a month or so.
I very much appreciate the advice.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
My only suggestion would be to contact your senator's office, speak with their immigration liaison, and see if they can expedite the interview process for you. It would be a shame to lose out when you are so close to getting this finalized.
Thank you, I will certainly do that. I fear we probably will have to accept the outcome whatever it may be. My son and daughter are US green card holders and will apply for their citizenship sometime in the near future. If this doesn't work out for us perhaps they could sponsor us as parents at a later date.

Last edited by Britinsac; Aug 30th 2017 at 2:22 am. Reason: grammar
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Britinsac
Yes we will have an active address in the U.S. and can return for periods up until the interview. Since we are no where even close to the 30 months out of 60 months absent (less than 5 months total in 5 years) I am wondering if we would still be ok, if we returned within 6 months, for a month or so.
I very much appreciate the advice.
Yes, that should be fine.

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:57 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

My reaction is to be very careful on what you say and who you talk to. There is enough in the questions posed and some of the answers given that may be cause for concern.

Elderly parents are of concern and I empathize with you.

Good luck.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
My reaction is to be very careful on what you say and who you talk to. There is enough in the questions posed and some of the answers given that may be cause for concern.

Elderly parents are of concern and I empathize with you.

Good luck.
Thank you sir. It's a very stressful time.