Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport as a UK Citizen

Renewing British Passport as a UK Citizen

Old Dec 31st 2014, 10:15 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport as a UK Citizen

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I believe they ask for duals to provide the details of their other passports to help prevent a glitch in the system which could see a UKC as having entered the country on a foreign passport, overstayed (as a foreigner) and being prevented from entering the UK in future - regardless of your UKC rights to come and go. One of the joys of the electronic revolution!!!

I recall reading something about it a while back but could only find this old article
Since the e-borders system described in that Telegraph article has since been scrapped the cynic in me thinks there's probably a less altruistic reason why they are interested in your other passport such as keeping tabs on which countries you have been travelling to and enabling the Home Secretary to strip you of your British citizenship if she feels so inclined.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Since the e-borders system described in that Telegraph article has since been scrapped the cynic in me thinks there's probably a less altruistic reason why they are interested in your other passport such as keeping tabs on which countries you have been travelling to and enabling the Home Secretary to strip you of your British citizenship if she feels so inclined.
You are probably right on that score, I hadn't realised that the e-borders scheme was scrapped this year.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Geordi LaForge would simply reprogram the computer to ignore the glitch!

Ian
(Have you had any dealings with DVLA recently???)
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:16 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I believe they ask for duals to provide the details of their other passports to help prevent a glitch in the system which could see a UKC as having entered the country on a foreign passport, overstayed (as a foreigner) and being prevented from entering the UK in future - regardless of your UKC rights to come and go. One of the joys of the electronic revolution!!!

I recall reading something about it a while back but could only find this old article
I assumed this was related to ISIL / ISIS etc, similar to ESTA asking for other citizenships.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 3:20 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
^^ Exactly this.

There are only sinister reasons for the Home Office to ask for secondary citizenships.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Assuming he is a USC and British Citizen, it seems to have changed since I last did it (in person in the UK):

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

It now asks for:

"Dual nationals
You must send a colour photocopy of your non-British passport (every page including blank pages) as part of your application.

You may be asked to show your non-British passport at a later date."

I don't recall showing them my other non-UK passport.
They always asked about non-British passports. In fact, they used to ask that your ORIGINAL non-British passport be included with the British passport application. The change is to now ask for a photocopy of non-British passports instead.

Before this change, I never sent in original non-British passports anyway. I always sent a photocopy of the photo page and stated on the application form that it wasn't being included because it was needed for travel purposes. Thankfully they have now seen the folly of asking people to submit their non-British passport(s). I suspect many people were just hiding the fact that they had one (or more) rather than submit it. At least now they are more likely to get the information they want.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 31st 2014 at 6:35 pm.