Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Renew Passport Prior to Embassy Interview

Renew Passport Prior to Embassy Interview

Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Hirsty_78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renew Passport Prior to Embassy Interview

My passport was ready to expire in October and my interview is at the end of February, meaning that if I am successful in the interview I won't be flying out until mid-March.

As the embassy interview instructions require you to have 6 months minimum upon your passport, I have renewed my passport. One thing that I noted is that the passport number is different.

I was planning on taking the old passport with copy along as well.

Has anyone experienced this? Could it be an issue? I have noted from threads that visa holders with expired passports take their old passports with them when travelling., therefore I am assuming that this shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew Passport Prior to Embassy Interview

It's not an issue.

Rene
Old Jan 16th 2017, 1:11 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hirsty_78
I was planning on taking the old passport with copy along as well.
If the visa is in your new passport, you don't need the old one at all.

One thing that I noted is that the passport number is different.
This is largely irrelevant - you're still the same person. It would be different if the visa was in the old passport.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If the visa is in your new passport, you don't need the old one at all.

This is largely irrelevant - you're still the same person. It would be different if the visa was in the old passport.

Ian
It is more that I have previously had to submit copies of my passport and my passport number.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

drunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond repute

If you hold a British passport the 6-month rule doesn't apply, but going forward you will need to carry both passports - the one with the visa in it & the new one

Whatever passport number you gave when you submitted the application, that's the one that the visa goes in to

Last edited by drunner; Jan 20th 2017 at 2:40 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drunner
If you hold a British passport the 6-month rule doesn't apply...
Not quite. The 6-month rule still applies but it's not deemed as mandatory.

Whatever passport number you gave when you submitted the application, that's the one that the visa goes in to
That's completely mental - would they put a visa in an expired passport? The officer has a handy device for updating the application with the new passport information... a red pen!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jan 20th 2017 at 2:52 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

drunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond reputedrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they wouldn't put a visa in an expired passport, but if you apply & give details of a passport that has, say for arguments sake, 6 months left on it, then that's the one the visa is put into. We are in the same boat, sons passport runs out in July but if he got a new passport before the visa was granted then he would have had to have submitted a New application

I would suggest the OP contacts the Embassy to clarify

Last edited by drunner; Jan 20th 2017 at 3:04 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they wouldn't put a visa in an expired passport, but if you apply & give details of a passport that has, say for arguments sake, 6 months left on it, then that's the one the visa is put into. We are in the same boat, sons passport runs out in July but if he got a new passport before the visa was granted then he would have had to have submitted a New application

I would suggest the OP contacts the Embassy to clarify
Last year, I completed my DS-160 with my passport which had 8 months left on it. I flew to London, renewed my passport on the first day and went to my apt at the consulate the next day with my new passport which had the extra months added on to it and they put the visa in my new passport as the old one had the corner cut off. They updated my record with new passport number on the day. My OH also did this last year.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Last year, I completed my DS-160 with my passport which had 8 months left on it. I flew to London, renewed my passport on the first day and went to my apt at the consulate the next day with my new passport which had the extra months added on to it and they put the visa in my new passport as the old one had the corner cut off. They updated my record with new passport number on the day. My OH also did this last year.

Thank you. I was hoping that would be the case. I will take the old one with me to be on the safe side.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

... if he got a new passport before the visa was granted then he would have had to have submitted a New application.
No, he wouldn't have... because the Consular Officer would have simply amended the existing application.

Ian