Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Re-entry permit for green card holder

Re-entry permit for green card holder

Old Apr 22nd 2017, 12:37 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-entry permit for green card holder

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So which EU country is your son a citizen of?
Pulaski, she who laughs last, laughs longest.

My son's total annual bill for his college and tuition and living expenses and flights back and forth will be about 50% of in-state tuition and accommodation. That's studying his subject at a university ranked 4th in the world for his subject.

Even IF the UK leaves the EU and IF we have to pay international tuition rates, it will be NO MORE than in-state tuition.

So paying out for a re-entry permit is no bother at all.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Pulaski, she who laughs last, laughs longest.

My son's total annual bill for his college and tuition and living expenses and flights back and forth will be about 50% of in-state tuition and accommodation. That's studying his subject at a university ranked 4th in the world for his subject.

Even IF the UK leaves the EU and IF we have to pay international tuition rates, it will be NO MORE than in-state tuition.

So paying out for a re-entry permit is no bother at all.
There are many things that could happen to change that. You or your son may have to make one or more emergency trips home...which means mega bucks for air fare. Changes in exchange rate can make a huge difference.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:13 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There are many things that could happen to change that. You or your son may have to make one or more emergency trips home...which means mega bucks for air fare. Changes in exchange rate can make a huge difference.
I agree with you JG, but there's a big enough difference in costs to absorb a lot!
and then there's insurance which would cover most eventualities.
I'm more concerned about losing another chick from the nest
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you JG, but there's a big enough difference in costs to absorb a lot!
and then there's insurance which would cover most eventualities.
I'm more concerned about losing another chick from the nest
He may decided to stay there...my daughter did.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He may decided to stay there...my daughter did.
I suspect that PF might be more concerned if he returned and settled long-term in the US.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:26 pm
Austin. TX.

I suspect that PF might be more concerned if he returned and settled long-term in the US.
I'm very interested in how he feels about living in Europe again after he's been back a while.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 2:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The nice part is if he is at all interested, he will be given the opportunity to naturalize here in the US and have another permanent option at his disposal. You never know what employment opportunities might rear its head in 10, 20 years done the line.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 3:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The nice part is if he is at all interested, he will be given the opportunity to naturalize here in the US and have another permanent option at his disposal. You never know what employment opportunities might rear its head in 10, 20 years done the line.
As it sounds like he won't be able to naturalize before he goes to university (PF is applying for a reentry permit for him), he will have to come back to the US after graduation and live here for five years before he could naturalize because being outside of the US while studying means he can't naturalize (too long outside the US) even though he has a green card.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 3:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

As it sounds like he won't be able to naturalize before he goes to university (PF is applying for a reentry permit for him), he will have to come back to the US after graduation and live here for five years before he could naturalize because being outside of the US while studying means he can't naturalize (too long outside the US) even though he has a green card.
When my daughter was at uni she was fast approaching the maximum days out of the US for naturalization. We therefore all applied for citizenship. Which is something she regrets as she has no intention of living in the US again...but has the headache of filing a US tax return. FBAR etc every year.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 12:32 pm
Austin. TX.

At the moment, my son is at best ambivalent about living in the US after college. This is why I'm interested in how it goes at college. I think he's looking at life in the EU through somewhat rose-tinted glasses - my eldest has realised that actually their life in France was "idyllic" and probably not the life that most people have. He has yet to realise this....

So, on a practical level I had been aiming to at least keep his green card status. However, thanks to JG and Pulaski I'm actually also going to make sure that he qualifies for naturalisation if he wishes. He has already met the 30 months in the last five years requirement provided we make sure his visits to college remain under 6 months duration , he comes home for all vacations and applies at the end of the summer vacation when he will have been home for 3 months.
I'll have to do all this without mentioning the citizenship thing right now since he's pretty adamant about what he wants to do. Also bearing in mind what JG has said, he also has to decide for himself at some point that this is something he wants and he's prepared to take some responsibility to make it happen. My role is keep his options open for as long as I possibly can.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tricky getting a job in France.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 2:21 pm
Austin. TX.

Just wanted to update you all on this.

My son returned at Christmas about 5 days over the six months ( that'll be his citizenship knocked back...) . He just gave his passport, his greencard and the travel permit to the border guard at the airport - guy took it and said "great, Thanks" then "Welcome home"

So if that is how my son's return visits home go for the next couple of years then I'm very glad we went to the bother and expense of getting the travel permit even though he shouldn't really need it.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 2:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to update you all on this.

My son returned at Christmas about 5 days over the six months ( that'll be his citizenship knocked back...) . He just gave his passport, his greencard and the travel permit to the border guard at the airport - guy took it and said "great, Thanks" then "Welcome home"

So if that is how my son's return visits home go for the next couple of years then I'm very glad we went to the bother and expense of getting the travel permit even though he shouldn't really need it.
I would not assume that his naturalization has been set back.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 3:02 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I would not assume that his naturalization has been set back.
really? I thought that any absence over 6 months knocked it back.... if you could share info, that would be most welcome.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 4:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

really? I thought that any absence over 6 months knocked it back.... if you could share info, that would be most welcome.
From the USCIS:

•Show that you have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400.

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...ml#0-0-0-19579

(c) Disruption of continuity of residence

(1) Absence from the United States.

(i) For continuous periods of between six (6) months and one (1) year. Absences from the United States for continuous periods of between six (6) months and one (1) year during the periods for which continuous residence is required under § 316.2(a)(3) and (a)(6) shall disrupt the continuity of such residence for purposes of this part unless the applicant can establish otherwise to the satisfaction of the Service. This finding remains valid even if the applicant did not apply for or otherwise request a nonresident classification for tax purposes, did not document an abandonment of lawful permanent resident status, and is still considered a lawful permanent resident under immigration laws. The types of documentation which may establish that the applicant did not disrupt the continuity of his or her residence in the United States during an extended absence include, but are not limited to, evidence that during the absence: (Amended 9/24/93; 58 FR 49913)

(A) The applicant did not terminate his or her employment in the United States;

(B) The applicant's immediate family remained in the United States;

(C) The applicant retained full access to his or her United States abode; or

(D) The applicant did not obtain employment while abroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.