Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Re-entry permit for green card holder

Re-entry permit for green card holder

Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:10 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re-entry permit for green card holder

I've got form i-131 in front of me for my son going to Europe in the summer for a vacation and then immediately starting university in the Netherlands in August.

I'm wondering how to write this on the form so that I make it clear he will be a student returning home when college term has ended.

thanks
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-entry permit for green card holder

"Studying overseas".

"Vacation/travel, and studying overseas".

Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:31 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Studying overseas".

"Vacation/travel, and studying overseas".

They ask for lists of countries to be visited so I wondered whether I needed to be more specific/detailed
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I wondered whether I needed to be more specific/detailed
Tell the truth... put "unknown at this time".

Ian
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:42 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Tell the truth... put "unknown at this time".

Ian
but we do know the countries to be visited

colleges - not definite on this yet so "unknown at this time" would be appropriate, but wondering whether I should write "college in the Netherlands but unknown at this time"
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering how to write this on the form so that I make it clear he will be a student returning home when college term has ended.
It's a re-entry permit... he has to come home - since the US is where he lives. If he wasn't coming home, he wouldn't need the permit in the first place. You don't have to specify that he'll be coming home!

... wondering whether I should write "college in the Netherlands but unknown at this time"
Unless the question specifically asks if he'll be going to school and where, then there's no need to say! Unless the question specifically asks what he intends to do after travelling around Europe, there's no need to say.

I'm sure you've seen my 3 rules for filling out US immigration forms. It's a simple question... give a simple answer.

And what if he changes his mind after he has the permit? Will you worry that you or he has somehow committed fraud because he didn't do what you said he was going to do? You're really overthinking this.

Ian
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Tell the truth... put "unknown at this time". ...
If he wants a personal welcome on his return she should say "Syria".
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

or North Korea?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:53 pm
Austin. TX.

Ian, I know I'm overthinking it but one last question....

they ask for the number of days he will be away. For the first trip it will be a mximum of 185 days ( 2 days over six months). Is this what I write? What about the rest of the time he is a student and will be coming and going?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked at the form and find it difficult to understand what is not clear.

Purpose of trip: Vacation then study overseas (as per Pulaski in #2 above)

List the countries you intend to visit: Just list them!

You are definitely over-thinking this one.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

For the first trip it will be a mximum of 185 days ( 2 days over six months). Is this what I write? What about the rest of the time he is a student and will be coming and going?
You do understand, I hope, that you don't need a re-entry permit unless you're going to be out of the US for more than 1 year on any single trip outside the US? If he's going to be travelling for 6 months, come home for a week, and then head to school for another 7 or 8 months, and then come back to the US... he doesn't need a re-entry permit. If he's going to be travelling for 6 months, and then attend school for 7 or 8 months, and then returns to the US - then yes, he'll need one. Otherwise, he doesn't.

I'm not really sure what you hope to accomplish with the permit.

Ian
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I believe PF is only attempting to do all she can to preserve his residency status while attending university outside of the US and occasional travel in Europe while sourcing universities and vacationing. It will only cost her funds for the relief of mind she will obtain from its issuance.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You do understand, I hope, that you don't need a re-entry permit unless you're going to be out of the US for more than 1 year on any single trip outside the US? If he's going to be travelling for 6 months, come home for a week, and then head to school for another 7 or 8 months, and then come back to the US... he doesn't need a re-entry permit. If he's going to be travelling for 6 months, and then attend school for 7 or 8 months, and then returns to the US - then yes, he'll need one. Otherwise, he doesn't.

I'm not really sure what you hope to accomplish with the permit.

Ian
I've posted several times about my daughter's experience when she was at uni in Canada. Dispite visiting NJ every month or so...spending all vacations in NJ...driving a NJ registered and insured car...NJ bank account...credit cards...health insurance...she was still given quite a grilling at the border. She was told without a re-entry permit she would not be allowed to enter the US again.

What she was told may well be false but she was quite upset by the way she was treated.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 9:11 pm
Austin. TX.

Hi everyone, I've been busy all day and only just back home.

Ian, I am aware of the "legal" situation thanks to those links you sent me before concerning the Supreme court rulings! It also says this on the pdf the UCIS have to explain the re-entry permit.

However, based on what JG said about her daughter's experience and on my worry that my son will be going back and forth frequently - with much more time spent out of the country than in it, I decided that it would be a good idea - peace of mind for me and less anxiety for my son when he comes home.

My friend has the same situation for her daughter, also an EU citizen, US permanent resident and going to university in the Netherlands. For various reasons, they still have need of an immigration attorney so they asked her what she thought.

This is her answer-
"the re-entry permit should be considered an extra measure or an extra security. If Xxxx has a green card, he is a permanent resident and if he comes over back and forth regularly (eg at least half yearly), he might be okay. Your forum was right about that, especially under the former administration.

However, considering the fact that immigration policies under the current administration are now ' in flux', many foreign residents are taking this extra measure. Xxxx should not pro actively offer the permit at immigration, but keep it in his back pocket in case questions about residency status are raised. He should also just state that 'home' is Austin, Texas, with you and that he is 'in college' in Holland. That's all immigration needs to know.

He is not entitled to an attorney should he be questioned about immigration status under US law. However, if the questions are about criminal or terrorist activities, he is entitled to legal assistance from his Embassy. Immigration officials just don't always allow that because these people are not highly trained."
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 12:25 pm

.... my son will be going back and forth frequently ..... her daughter, also an EU citizen, .....
So which EU country is your son a citizen of?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.