Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Re-Entry Despite Visa Waiver Overstay Years Ago?

Re-Entry Despite Visa Waiver Overstay Years Ago?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:30 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-Entry Despite Visa Waiver Overstay Years Ago?

Originally Posted by Tracym
If they are to treat a suspect as a suspect - I suppose that's their job. Dunno about that manhandling though...

Definitely think an apology was in order if you hadn't been the wrongdoer though - that's just simple courtesy. And I've heard of plenty cops who stop people because the look the same, same kind of car etc. then saying they're sorry for the trouble as it was the wrong person.
It doesn't matter what we think would be common courtesy. I'm 99% sure that there are even clear guidelines for Immigration officers on not apologizing.

After all, as in the case of a car crash, an apology can be treated in court as an admission of guilt, and could lead to the suspect thinking they have some kind of case against the officer, or CBP.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
It doesn't matter what we think would be common courtesy. I'm 99% sure that there are even clear guidelines for Immigration officers on not apologizing.

After all, as in the case of a car crash, an apology can be treated in court as an admission of guilt, and could lead to the suspect thinking they have some kind of case against the officer, or CBP.
Possible I suppose. It still seems to me some sort of explanation could be given.

Ah well, sorry you had to go through that in any case.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

uk_traveller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Your reckless "friendly advice" only serves to make it more and more likely that your "friend" experiences this, or worse.

Personally, I don't think that makes you much of a friend.
And I don't think that a) you're telling the whole story and b) you're an average example of what happens.

I couldn't give a damn what you think of me as a person. The point of being on here is to help me give the best advice to my friend. You're not helping. I don't condone breaking laws, but I condone the stupid immigration system in America even less either. So if there's a way around it, I'll advise her to take it. Don't like that? Your problem.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_traveller
I don't condone breaking laws, but I condone the stupid immigration system in America even less either. So if there's a way around it, I'll advise her to take it. .
Do you think all laws you don't like don't apply to you and your friends or is it just immigration ones? Or maybe it's just those of another country? Maybe you should write to the US government and tell them how you think the system is stupid and you don't think it should apply to you or people you know. You also must condone breaking the law since you posted on more than one occasion that you advised your friend to do just that.

Most immigration systems in the world, UK included, are pretty similar with regards to punishing/banning people who overstay visas or visa waivers.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

a) I don't condone breaking laws

b) but I condone the stupid immigration system in America even less either.

c) So if there's a way around it, I'll advise her to take it.

d) Don't like that? Your problem.
a) You already proved that's a lie, by advising your friend to lie on her next I-94 in an attempt to commit immigration fraud.

b) Those controling the stupid immigration system in America don't care what you think. And neither does anyone here.

c) See a)

d) Actually, it's your friend's problem, as if they take your ill conceived advice they will find themselves with a very expensive round trip getting them exactly nowhere, with a lot of aggro along the way.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

b) you're an average example of what happens.
They give US citizens a hard time going through immigration, do you think they care how they treat a visitor? As a born & bred native, I have no issue believing everything dbj said happened to him.

You're not helping. I don't condone breaking laws, but I condone the stupid immigration system in America even less either.
I've been reading there is a little immigration problem in the UK too, with all the eastern Europeans coming around to take lower paying jobs. I suppose they have the same attitudes as you do regarding immigration. So I hope you don't find yourself complaining about immigrants too much. Maybe if the UK immigration laws could be 'more Draconian' there wouldn't be the immigration issue and hard feelings I've been reading about regarding Pols.

Our immigration laws are set up to protect us, not you. You are not meant to like them.

I can't believe that you think your friend, or yourself, are above our immigration laws. I hope she gets to see the worst of the immigration officials, so she can be an example of what not to do. She gets what she deserves if she attempts to circumvent the law.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you guys! I get it now!

There's no friend, that's why he doesn't mind writing that. OP did himself a little naughty and doesn't even want to admit it to a page full of virtual strangers.

Just consider that you're wasting your fingerprints here, he's going to do whatever he'll do and the consequences will fall as they will. At least we dont' have to worry about saving the girlfriend's bacon.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh you guys! I get it now!

There's no friend, that's why he doesn't mind writing that. OP did himself a little naughty and doesn't even want to admit it to a page full of virtual strangers.

Just consider that you're wasting your fingerprints here, he's going to do whatever he'll do and the consequences will fall as they will. At least we dont' have to worry about saving the girlfriend's bacon.
LOL..there never is a friend ....
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Speak for yourself Ray...
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Our immigration laws are set up to protect us,
This one I fail to see, I'm afraid. As one American to another, that is.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
This one I fail to see, I'm afraid. As one American to another, that is.
I don't dispute that. But at least everyone in the world can't up and decide to move to Florida. And at least we know that the jobs still located in the US can't be given to just anyone waltzing across the border.

Instead, the jobs waltz across the border.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I don't dispute that. But at least everyone in the world can't up and decide to move to Florida. And at least we know that the jobs still located in the US can't be given to just anyone waltzing across the border.

Instead, the jobs waltz across the border.
Yep -- but I was thinking more about CBP arresting and deporting some Glaswegian grandpa taking the kids to Disney because he nicked a dime candy bar at the age of 11. That sort of crap just makes us look stupid.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The point of being on here is to help me give the best advice to my friend.
We are *not* going to help your "friend" break the law. Which part of that don't you understand?

I don't condone breaking laws...
Apparently, you do!

Don't like that? Your problem.
Big, brave words from a tiny mind that fails to comprehend its own naiveté.

Ian