Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Quick question- filing two visa petitions??

Quick question- filing two visa petitions??

Old Feb 19th 2015, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

tracyandneil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick question- filing two visa petitions??

Hi

We cAn apply for the I-130 and it appears we can also put our name in for the diversity lottery.

Can we have both running at the same time?

Thanks
Tracy
Old Feb 19th 2015, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question- filing two visa petitions??

How do you qualify for the lottery? Unless you are of Irish nationality (Eire OR Northern), you don't qualify.

For that matter, is one of you a USC? If not, then the I-130 is out too.

If you ARE eligible for both, then as long as you pay the associated fees, there is no reason you can't apply for both as far as I know. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

ETA: If you're filing for a spouse or fiance(e), there is no need to file for the lottery anyway!

Last edited by Guindalf; Feb 19th 2015 at 1:32 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

I am German by birth (also British)- last year Germany was on the diversity lottery list.

It would be the I-130 for married daughter of 21- my mum is American by birth. I may have worded it incorrectly- I realise my mum applies for me!

Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2015, 1:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you're not a USC already?

Rene
Old Feb 19th 2015, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

SR86 is a jewel in the roughSR86 is a jewel in the roughSR86 is a jewel in the roughSR86 is a jewel in the roughSR86 is a jewel in the rough

Both routes are open for you, but not in a fast way.

Germany has been eligible for the lottery for the past years so no problems there. The lottery registration opens in October for about a month, just remember to use the official website and don't use any fake agency sites (no fees on the real site).

Your mom can submit the i-130 on your behalf but be prepared for a long wait. As a married and over 21yo daughter you won't qualify for the immediate relative category but will end up in the "third preference" category which has a yearly quota.

Do you mind me asking why you don't qualify for US citizenship yourself? That would obviously have been the handy way in.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi my mum left the us when she wAs 13 so I am not automatically a citizen. I did a post on this a while ago and the general consensus was that i didn't qualify :-(