Quick Question About Luggage

Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

dreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud of
Talking Quick Question About Luggage

Just an update, I am still waiting to hear from the first I-129F that needed further evidence (still no denial or approval), which we sent weeks ago, but we also got our receipt back last week for the second file that Folinskiinla told us to file, so know we really are just waiting for a response - hopefully a yes.

So I thought I would get other things sorted while we wait.

Does anyone know how much luggage I am permitted to bring to the US with me from the UK?

I know normally when you go to the USA for a holiday, you can have 2 suitcases, and I just wondered if it was the same or whether you are permitted slightly more?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:55 am
Just Joined

gh38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quick Question About Luggage

Originally Posted by dreamchaser
Does anyone know how much luggage I am permitted to bring to the US with me from the UK?

I know normally when you go to the USA for a holiday, you can have 2 suitcases, and I just wondered if it was the same or whether you are permitted slightly more?
As far as I know it is not the US that decides how much luggage you can take but the airline carrier that you use. Most of them will tell you on their website how much they allow (usually two bags for economy). If you fly business or first class they sometimes allow a little more than the usual two bags. You can make arrangements with the carrier to take more than the limit and they will charge you for the excess - and if you arrange it with them beforehand you can get it much cheaper than just turning up with tonnes of luggage on the day.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:37 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update, I am still waiting to hear from the first I-129F that needed further evidence (still no denial or approval), which we sent weeks ago, but we also got our receipt back last week for the second file that Folinskiinla told us to file, so know we really are just waiting for a response - hopefully a yes.

2 suitcases it is and 1 carryon. NORMALLY the weight limitation is 70 pounds per bag, BUT Lufthansa just came out last week with a memo limiting the allowance to 50 pounds. Probably this is due to attempt at fuel conservation. This may well signal a change across the board on other carriers. The charge for an extra suitcase or overage on weight is high!!!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:40 am
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough

See below. These are standard for almost all airlines.
International Travel - between North America and Africa / Asia / Europe / India / Middle East)
Coach Class: Each ticketed passenger is allowed two (2) pieces of checked luggage.
Both pieces: 50 pounds (23 kg) with linear dimensions not to exceed 62 inches (158 cm).
* Exceptions for travel wholly between U.S./Canada and the Philippines, checked pieces may weigh up to 70 pounds (32 kg) each.

World Business Class: Each ticketed passenger is allowed three (3) pieces of checked luggage.
First two (2) pieces: 70 pounds (32 kg) with linear dimensions not to exceed 62 inches (158 cm).
Third piece: 40 pounds (18 kg) with with linear dimensions not to exceed 45 inches (115 cm).

Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:27 pm
Nina

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:40:31 +0000, marasmus
<member39761@british_expats.com> wrote:

>> Just an update, I am still waiting to hear from the first I-129F that
    >> needed further evidence (still no denial or approval), which we sent
    >> weeks ago, but we also got our receipt back last week for the second
    >> file that Folinskiinla told us to file, so know we really are just
    >> waiting for a response - hopefully a yes.
    >> So I thought I would get other things sorted while we wait.
    >> Does anyone know how much luggage I am permitted to bring to the US
    >> with me from the UK?
    >> I know normally when you go to the USA for a holiday, you can have 2
    >> suitcases, and I just wondered if it was the same or whether you are
    >> permitted slightly more?
    >See below. These are standard for almost all airlines.
    >*********************
    >International Travel - between North America and Africa / Asia / Europe
    >/ India / Middle East)
    >Coach Class: Each ticketed passenger is allowed two (2) pieces of
    >checked luggage.
    >Both pieces: 50 pounds (23 kg) with linear dimensions not to exceed 62
    >inches (158 cm).
    >* Exceptions for travel wholly between U.S./Canada and the Philippines,
    > checked pieces may weigh up to 70 pounds (32 kg) each.
    >World Business Class: Each ticketed passenger is allowed three (3)
    >pieces of checked luggage.
    >First two (2) pieces: 70 pounds (32 kg) with linear dimensions not to
    >exceed 62 inches (158 cm).
    >Third piece: 40 pounds (18 kg) with with linear dimensions not to exceed
    >45 inches (115 cm).

And the trend is toward reducing baggage limits, and they're getting
stricter about it ALL the time. I was on a domestic flight a little
while ago (in the US), and I had a bag that weighed 52 lbs (arguably
just a difference between my scale and theirs), and they wouldn't take
it, or would only take it if I paid $50 or something like that.

I think that it's probably better, if you expect to have excess
baggage, to arrange to have it shipped instead.

Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to all

Parcel Post is a good option for bulky items. I mailed (although only from Canada) a lot of items that I would need but would have taken up a lot of space in my car. Via the mail I sent a laser printer, my files, my CDs/DVDs. I spent about $100.00 in postage to send these items. I didn't send the cheapest way but close to the cheapest.
It took me about 6 days to drive to Boston from Edmonton. The packages arrived about 3 days after that.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

dreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud ofdreamchaser has much to be proud of

Many thanks for your advise, I sort of knew what the luggage allowance would be normally, I just wondered whether they permit slightly more, I think once the flight tickets are booked, I may just call the airline, as an ex-travel agent I still know a few contact numbers, maybe they will over look any extra cost (well you can hope!!!!!)

Thanks again

Fiona
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlmostThere1
Parcel Post is a good option for bulky items. I mailed (although only from Canada) a lot of items that I would need but would have taken up a lot of space in my car. Via the mail I sent a laser printer, my files, my CDs/DVDs. I spent about $100.00 in postage to send these items. I didn't send the cheapest way but close to the cheapest.
It took me about 6 days to drive to Boston from Edmonton. The packages arrived about 3 days after that.

Six days to drive from Edmonton to Boston? Come on now, I've done the drive from Calgary to NYC straight through, no stops, all alone. About 45 hours when all is said and done... BAAAAAAAAAM! Haha
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your advise, I sort of knew what the luggage allowance would be normally, I just wondered whether they permit slightly more, I think once the flight tickets are booked, I may just call the airline, as an ex-travel agent I still know a few contact numbers, maybe they will over look any extra cost (well you can hope!!!!!)

Thanks again

Fiona
Hi:

My daughter just shipped about 50 pounds in two boxes from US to France via insured parcel post. USPS said that insurance would permit tracking -- wrong. USPS said 4-5 weeks. Mailed August 18, arrived October 12th.

We just took back a lot of stuff which caused our luggage for two people to total 58 KG.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to allAlmostThere1 is a name known to all
Talking Re: Quick Question About Luggage

Originally Posted by andrea874
Six days to drive from Edmonton to Boston? Come on now, I've done the drive from Calgary to NYC straight through, no stops, all alone. About 45 hours when all is said and done... BAAAAAAAAAM! Haha
It would have been faster except for:
1) The Mountie driving his RCMP Camaro (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/sk/images/member-car2.jpg) in Saskatchewan, that issued to a ticket to my father (who joined me in driving to Toronto). For an speed related "infraction" of the Highway Traffic Act.

2) A detour to find the start/end of Yonge Street in North-Western Ontario.

3) I crossed at Port Huron, MI (the long way around) in the hopes of getting the 90-day interim EAD or the stamp.(didn't get either - though I did get a K-1 EAD in Boston a week later. May of 03)

Last edited by AlmostThere1; Oct 19th 2005 at 3:52 am.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:39 pm
James Ridgers

After I received my GC, I flew back to the UK for just 5 days to
collect my stuff that had been in storage. I paid the extra baggage
charges that Virgin charged me, I brought back 4 large suitcases, no
problem with the airline or with immigration.

However, I DID have problems when I hit customs. The (incredibly
snooty) lady wanted to know why I had so much luggage for such a short
trip. I answered her truthfully, but it wasn't enough. She pulled apart
every single one of my suitcases and held me up for nearly two hours.

So, just an FYI :o)