Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

question regarding travel outside of US

question regarding travel outside of US

Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:22 am
Just Joined

lindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nice
Default question regarding travel outside of US

Hi there

I am English and moved here last May 08. I got married and had a green card issued last year.
I am about to travel back to the uk for the first time since I moved here last year. When I return to the states am I going to have any trouble getting back into the country and what kind of documents should I have with me apart from the Green card? Will I get pulled aside into that horrible waiting area to be questioned just like every other time I came into the country (before I had the Green card?).
many thanks !!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question regarding travel outside of US

You will need your UK passport and your green card. The green card identifies you as a legal permanent resident, permitted to reside and work in the US.

Unless they suspect you of carrying contraband or being a terrorist, I would hazard a guess that that the odds of being hauled into secondary are slim.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 9:58 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoviking
You will need your UK passport and your green card. The green card identifies you as a legal permanent resident, permitted to reside and work in the US.

Unless they suspect you of carrying contraband or being a terrorist, I would hazard a guess that that the odds of being hauled into secondary are slim.
I agree with the first part, but not the second. I'd put the chances a bit higher than "slim". It's not uncommon for new green card holders to experience a hangover and get sent to the back, especially if they played the system fast and loose on their way to getting the card.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. While I never experienced a trip to secondary during my years as a green card holder myself, my experiences are too small of a statistical sample to base a prediction on.

So the answer to the second part of the question would be: You may be sent to secondary, or you might not be. No way to know what the CBP officer at the POE will decide.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by discoviking
Fair enough. While I never experienced a trip to secondary during my years as a green card holder myself, my experiences are too small of a statistical sample to base a prediction on.

So the answer to the second part of the question would be: You may be sent to secondary, or you might not be. No way to know what the CBP officer at the POE will decide.
Hi:

What does it matter if one is sent to secondary? I would recommend against in making tight connections if you are not seeking admission at your final destination.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

chocchipcookie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had a green card for four years and travel back all the time. I have never had a problem.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

lindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nicelindapugh is just really nice

thanks everyone for you responses. I made it back into the country with no issue whatsoever