Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about UK 01 Visa Application for the USA...

Question about UK 01 Visa Application for the USA...

Old Jun 16th 2016, 6:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about UK 01 Visa Application for the USA...

Originally Posted by daveyboy1984

If the payments went into their account, they take 5% and I get the rest, that works fine by me - it's just if this is okay legally? In that way I would still be freelance in the nature of work, but being paid everything through them it would be as though they were my sole employer I believe?
You get the rest . . . you hope! I wouldn't touch this situation with the proverbial barge pole! Knowing how hard is for my OH to get royalty accountings from well-known and reputable companies -- they string it out until the absolute last second they possibly can before they cough up -- I can imagine the scenario with such a small-time outfit as this seems to be.

I sent their details to Rene. I will PM you Ian with their website if that's okay. I've Hoover company searched them and the company is registered and they've passed the Bar which is good :-) I believe they are fine as a company, but their turnover seems small. Less than $100k per year.
That is minuscule! Red flags all around here! Do they name any names of their successful clients?
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:11 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a relatively successful filmmaker. I've worked with the BBC, EMI, Red Bull and a number of different brands. In the UK I have my own Production Company as well as being repped by a Production Company for commercials.
Great!

But...

Reason why we would have to go down this route is because we don't have a relationship with an agent who would be able to get us work in the States as we don't know anyone.
I struggle to believe that with a little bit of effort you can't tap into your current set of contacts to get details of a number of proper agents in the US. Your "reason" sounds incredibly weak.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:51 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

If you're insisting on independence from the moment you land, then perhaps there is no appropriate visa for you.

Given your earlier posts, I'd have to think that you are in a good position to seek out a genuine agent, and obtain a reasonable contract.

Also, use of the word 'desperate' usually leads to nothing good.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I sent their details to Rene. I will PM you Ian with their website if that's okay.
I'm going to post here rather than PM you back. I've looked at the website you sent. The owner is an immigrant but, as you say, it's difficult to make a determination beyond that. From the website's registration info, they seem fairly stable... which is good.

Beyond that information, I'm not wiling to say one way or the other whether or not they're reputable... I'm simply not in a position to make that sort of determination.

Ian
Old Jun 17th 2016, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

A normal agent would charge between 10-20%, so I don't mind paying the 5%. However, it's more the legal side of things and whether this all okay to do.
I would suggest getting quotes from at least two other, similar, agents before you confirmation bias yourself into a tricky situation. There is a steady flow of entertainment-based O1s heading to LA, so it should be possible to find alternative options.

C
Old Jun 17th 2016, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK I have my own Production Company
Oh - just spotted this.

Find a USC friend, form a partnership and incorporate your own production company in CA and have that entity sponsor your O1.

C