Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question about N-400 timing and Expiring Green Card

Question about N-400 timing and Expiring Green Card

Old Feb 1st 2018, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Saltire67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about N-400 timing and Expiring Green Card

Hello everyone - I have been a permeant resident for 22 years and it is time to file for Citizenship. Which I did yesterday 1/31/18 on line.

This morning the notice I get says that estimated completion will be 4/1/2019 - YIKES that seems like a long time - but aside length of time, I am now worried because my Green Card Expires 1/31/2019.

So what do I do I have searched and all I can find is information saying that there is no need to renew Green Card when filing N-400 if you have at least 6 months left. Is that true?

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on this for me.

I did try to search the forum - but ended up down multiple rabbit holes so thought I would post - I hope that is OK

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about N-400 timing and Expiring Green Card

If your green card is expiring more than 6 months out, you do not need to file an I-90 to renew your green card while you have a pending N-400. What you instead do is - if you need to extend validity for the purposes of international travel or employment, obtain an Infopass appointment at a nearby service center and demonstrate cause, along with your N-400 receipt. You'll receive an I-551 stamp on your passport for 6-12 months additional duration.

I'm in an approximately similar situation with a green card due to expire at around the same timeframe, but submitted my N-400 a month before you.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Saltire67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sun_burn - thank you so very much that really makes me feel much better - here's hoping that the process move much faster than they say.

Good luck to you.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

And to you as well! Yes, the N-400 timelines are getting longer lately, but the online estimate is not to be taken to heart (mine reads Jan 2019). They do seem to take 6-12 months more consistently these days though, as opposed to the general prerogative on USCIS' part to get them done in 5 months.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 4:14 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

FYI I submitted online recently, and the timeline is showing one year out. A colleague recently went through the process, and his took a year. I guess that's the going rate right now.