Quest for the right visa...

Old Sep 8th 2017, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Dan261 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quest for the right visa...

Hi, this is my first look at BE and would appreciate some positive input....
I am considering the E-2 visa route to become a self employed realtor operating in NY State. Has anyone got an experience of this or can suggest an alternative route to achieving it?
Thanks, Dan
Old Sep 8th 2017, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quest for the right visa...

E2 would not be appropriate.

Marriage?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 9:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Realtors are valued for their local knowledge of the area and the market, and experience of the process of buying and selling houses.

As someone from outside the US, how would you serve your clients when you have neither local knowledge nor experience of the process?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

I have general experience in this field (property developer)
I have extensive knowledge of the area and prices in the location I am seeking.
I have a job offer from a broker, but will only be available as self employed position...
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
E2 would not be appropriate.

Marriage?
Already spoken for thanks 😃
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Realtors are valued for their local knowledge of the area and the market, and experience of the process of buying and selling houses.

As someone from outside the US, how would you serve your clients when you have neither local knowledge nor experience of the process?
I have a job offer from a broker, but will only be available as self employed position...
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan261
Is it you that's telling the broker you want to be self employed, or is the broker telling you that's the only way you can work for him?

Rene
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming that's a property developer in the UK?

I'm not sure how even being a property developer in the USA would help you sell the houses - apart from perhaps building custom homes for people.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Is it you that's telling the broker you want to be self employed, or is the broker telling you that's the only way you can work for him?

Rene
It's the brokers terms, apparently it's the norm in the immediate area...
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

A self employed position? Hmm! As Douglas Adams might have noted, this is obviously some strange usage of the words "job offer" that I wasn't previously aware of.

I'm pretty sure this isn't actually a job offer, but a way for you to work without the broker paying anything or covering such things as health care insurance. You might as well just go into business for yourself.

Ian
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't really a visa that would permit you to move here and be self employed with a desk in someone else's brokerage. You'd have to go the whole nine yards with your own franchise, premises, and employees for an E-2.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
I'm assuming that's a property developer in the UK?

I'm not sure how even being a property developer in the USA would help you sell the houses - apart from perhaps building custom homes for people.
My reference was to buying and selling property - I have experience in selling the properties I build to the public along with working alongside uk estate agents. It's all uk based experience, allbeit the same industry.
My question is whether a self employed realtor can qualify as a new business venture as per e2 requirements, I'm going to be light on start up funding - won't cost a lot to become a realtor (car, laptop, marketing etc), has anyone had any success in this type of application?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
There isn't really a visa that would permit you to move here and be self employed with a desk in someone else's brokerage. You'd have to go the whole nine yards with your own franchise, premises, and employees for an E-2.
Ok, thanks for input
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:54 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I have extensive knowledge of the area and prices in the location I am seeking
So how long have you been living in the area?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 11:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

won't cost a lot to become a realtor (car, laptop, marketing etc)
Don't you have to the courses and exams to become licensed in the USA? That would also cost something.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.