Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Priority date current? Not anymore :(

Priority date current? Not anymore :(

Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:15 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Priority date current? Not anymore :(

you've hit the nail on the head about the Americans nice enough people but can't seem to click with them maybe its the fact that they don't get our humour who knows..but don't worry about us, we'll sort something out if we do have to leave we'll wait a year and then come back on another work visa we'll try and rent the house out and that should cover the mortage and like I said the bonus about home is the fact that the pound is soo strong we'll be able to put money away for when we get back (and try and pay some of the american credit cards off)..Like that old saying when life throws you lemons.. make lemonade and of course don't forget we brits have the stiff upper lip to see us through.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
you've hit the nail on the head about the Americans nice enough people but can't seem to click with them maybe its the fact that they don't get our humour who knows..but don't worry about us, we'll sort something out if we do have to leave we'll wait a year and then come back on another work visa we'll try and rent the house out and that should cover the mortage and like I said the bonus about home is the fact that the pound is soo strong we'll be able to put money away for when we get back (and try and pay some of the american credit cards off)..Like that old saying when life throws you lemons.. make lemonade and of course don't forget we brits have the stiff upper lip to see us through.
Yes stoicism in the face of adversity!
If I get any gen from my lawyers tommorow I'll PM you, they all seem to have different versions on the same "truths".
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:33 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Adnams its been great talking to you and like I said if I hear anything I'll let you'all know too.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:50 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
It would be very hard financially for us to go back, unless there is a massive change in the exchange rate.
likewise. Although I must admit the UK has no real hold on me and I can't even see why I'd want to return there. I think another country would be on the cards for us.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Tell me about it! I keep praying that the pound will go through the floor, then I'd have a case for returning to pitch to the OH!
Actually I was thinking it was quite an advantage of the high pound at the moment, at least a 40K job in the UK is about an $80K here. When I 1st came here the exchange rate was about 1.8 and so my pay has been steadily eroded

I was thinking of going to Holland as my next job, but I'm slightly amazed that even in the few years I've picked up some American attitudes and the thought of paying a leasing agent a months rent in-order for them to find me an apartment seems amazing when you consider over here I just have to go to apartments.com

But I guess my savings will soon be eorded once I've purchased a car over there, but I'm so tempted. Maybe hold out till October and see what happens with the processing dates, especially as the cost of attending an interview in October will be much cheaper than July
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:49 pm
Last orders please...

The only problem with that situation is that you have to be earning the money in sterling for it to be a benefit, if only it was that simple to work in America and get paid in pounds life would be sweet.
P.S if your going to Holland try and go to the Hague and not Amsterdam (amsterdam is great but the Hague is better). The quality of life is great in Holland and everyone speak english, trust me if I had the chace to go back to Holland I would, you'd never have a problem with Visa's that for sure!.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
Actually I was thinking it was quite an advantage of the high pound at the moment, at least a 40K job in the UK is about an $80K here. When I 1st came here the exchange rate was about 1.8 and so my pay has been steadily eroded

I was thinking of going to Holland as my next job, but I'm slightly amazed that even in the few years I've picked up some American attitudes and the thought of paying a leasing agent a months rent in-order for them to find me an apartment seems amazing when you consider over here I just have to go to apartments.com

But I guess my savings will soon be eorded once I've purchased a car over there, but I'm so tempted. Maybe hold out till October and see what happens with the processing dates, especially as the cost of attending an interview in October will be much cheaper than July
The Euro hit a new high against the dollar today as did the pound. So if you've got US savings either leave them here in investments or take the hit. Ouch, thats like kind of tough.

Holland is lovely though, lifes too short to live somewhere youre not happy after all. October is like the holy grail, we will all search and wait but too no avail.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:50 am
Last orders please...

Hi adnams
Sorry but i managed to mess up your PM and wasn't able to read it (I had pop-up blocker on Doh!) could you please re-send.
much appreciated
and just to let you know I've also e-mailed my lawyer and told her I want some straight answers as to whats going on (as she keeps evading my phone calls), now I know why theres so many nasty jokes about them!

Last edited by lisag8070; Jul 12th 2007 at 12:52 am.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi adnams
Sorry but i managed to mess up your PM and wasn't able to read it (I had pop-up blocker on Doh!) could you please re-send.
much appreciated
and just to let you know I've also e-mailed my lawyer and told her I want some straight answers as to whats going on (as she keeps evading my phone calls), now I know why theres so many nasty jokes about them!
Good for you they need constant nagging to get any answers. Will resend for you.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi adnams
much appreciated
If you just go into your My profile and click on Inbox, you will be able to see it. You dont have to read it as soon as the pop up appears - as far as I'm aware anyway... Have resent it anyway
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:50 am
Last orders please...

Thanks Adnams now I guess I just play the waiting game either for the mail or e-mail from the lawyer
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Adnams now I guess I just play the waiting game either for the mail or e-mail from the lawyer
Its surely is a waiting game. ((
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem with that situation is that you have to be earning the money in sterling for it to be a benefit, if only it was that simple to work in America and get paid in pounds life would be sweet.
P.S if your going to Holland try and go to the Hague and not Amsterdam (amsterdam is great but the Hague is better). The quality of life is great in Holland and everyone speak english, trust me if I had the chace to go back to Holland I would, you'd never have a problem with Visa's that for sure!.
I'm so tempted unfortunately the Hague has so few computer jobs, a couple are available in Rotterdam at the moment, but I get the feeling Rotterdam is a bit like Grimsby
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:25 pm
Last orders please...

yes it is, but again every City has its good areas and bad areas, as long as you get a flat in a nice area you'll be laughing and plus you could still look for other jobs in other cities while your working there, thats what we did and hey you never know you might even like Rotterdam.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:06 pm
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to express my sympathy for anyone suffering as a result of these bizzare and frustrating changes at Immigration.

It's a bugger to have to leave at the 'whim' of the government ... BUT I have to say that I've just got back from a a few weeks in UK & Greece, and I was reminded that it's a big wonderful world out there, with many fantastic places to live.

I know it's bad to have no choice, in essence, but there is also a silver lining, which is the wonderful culture & beauty of Europe (and other parts of the world).

This close to my holiday (got back on Monday so still feeling relaxed!) I wouldn't weep excessively if I had to leave the US (well, Texas). It would be hard to make the arrangements, and go through all that upheaval again, especially with the kids, but the end result might be a 'better' life (no, not a bigger house maybe, but then, for me, I've realised that it is not really important).

I really hope that immigration sorts this out for anyone who wants to stay though -- it's unbelievably heartbreaking to build a life somewhere, and then have the goalposts changed on you.

Good luck to everyone affected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.