Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Looking to spend summer in the US & worried about POE

Looking to spend summer in the US & worried about POE

Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice
Default Looking to spend summer in the US & worried about POE

Ok, I came out to the US for a month in Feb to meet my girlfriend.

Am now planning on spending just under 80 days in the US from June to September.

We both want to get married to each other in the future (although we cannot get married just now as we are both in the middle of our divorces, they should be over by October this year).

So, the reason for my visit in summer is to get to know each other better, get her kids used to me and just basically make sure this is really what we want.

I think we are being sensible with this.

We plan to go the fiance visa route once we are both divorced later this year, after I have returned to France.

So, at POE with my VWP, do I say all this, or will they send me back to France if I do? I feel that we are doing everything by the book and being careful and within the law.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to spend summer in the US & worried about POE

Originally Posted by blargins
So, at POE with my VWP, do I say all this, or will they send me back to France if I do? I feel that we are doing everything by the book and being careful and within the law.
You are on the right track and doing everything correctly. Kudos to you for that.

At the POE, only answer the specific questions asked. Do not offer further information unless specifically asked. Do not lie.

It might be helpful for you to have proof of your ties to France, showing that you do indeed need to return there, and do not intend to remain in the USA. Examples of proof would be mortgage or lease statement, letter from your employer specifying the date you are to be back at work, letter from school if you are a student, showing you are enrolled in the next class for which you must return, etc.

There's never a guarantee of entry at the POE.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Hmmm it might be difficult to prove that as I am about to rent my house out and staying at friends for the next year til I get to the US proper.

I have no job, I'm not a student... um... I have two dogs still living in France.

I'll need to think about this one. I don't have any ties here really now.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So, at POE with my VWP, do I say all this,
No. You answer the question asked.

My favorite example is one I read here from Folinskyinla (and I made my now-husband 'get it'):

Q: Do you know what time it is?

There are two possible answers. Yes/No.

Get it?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

ok so if they ask

why are you coming into the US?

I say to see my girlfriend.

Just simple concise answers like that?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

ok so if they ask

why are you coming into the US?

I say to see my girlfriend.

Just simple concise answers like that?
I think a better answer would be

"for a vacation"

not suggesting for one moment that you don't tell them about your girlfriend, but only if asked specifically...ie. who will you be staying with
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
I think a better answer would be

"for a vacation"

not suggesting for one moment that you don't tell them about your girlfriend, but only if asked specifically...ie. who will you be staying with
And even then...when they ask "who", he can just say "Susan Smith" or whatever her name is. THEN if the agent asks "what is your relation to her?" THEN say "girlfriend".

Rene
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Well, I won't actually be staying with my girlfriend, but with a mutual friend some 17 years my senior (I'm 38, she's 55).

So girlfriend is going to be even further down the list.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:48 pm

Well, I won't actually be staying with my girlfriend, but with a mutual friend some 17 years my senior (I'm 38, she's 55).

Even better.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

I'm feeling better guys. Thanks.

What a palavar for something that should be so simple.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

"And how did you meet her?"

"Why are you staying so long?" "How can you you take so long off from work?"

The quesitons about the famous 'ties' aren't put to you directly as "what ties do you have to France?" but will appear in many ways.
Remember that the border agent's job is to make sure you are a genuine visitor.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
"And how did you meet her?"

"Why are you staying so long?" "How can you you take so long off from work?"

The quesitons about the famous 'ties' aren't put to you directly as "what ties do you have to France?" but will appear in many ways.
Remember that the border agent's job is to make sure you are a genuine visitor.
I met her online. And I stayed at her house last February when I came to visit.

Staying so long to see the States, as when I was here in Feb, the snow prevented me seeing anything.

I have just sold a house and am using some of the proceeds to spend time in the US.

Now let me in!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:56 am

I have just sold a house and am using some of the proceeds to spend time in the US.
I'm not sure I would volunteer the information about having just sold your house...I would imagine that works against you.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

It's not my residence I have sold, it's an investment property. Ok, I'll make sure that's made clear then.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:12 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

It's not my residence I have sold, it's an investment property. Ok, I'll make sure that's made clear then.
If I were you, I wouldn't even bring up any house-selling. The thing is, you may not even have a chance to explain yourself before a border agent starts having doubts about your intentions. I can't even imagine that issue being brought up in the first place. "Do you have a residence in the Uk?" "Yes" (And that's true because you still have your home. "How do you finance your trip to the US?" "I have investments." (No need to bring up any details)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.