Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

possible to leave country while awaiting permanent resident status?

possible to leave country while awaiting permanent resident status?

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:48 am
Just Joined

dimsumfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default possible to leave country while awaiting permanent resident status?

My wife immigrated to the U.S. in June 2004 from Japan. We know we have to file paperwork in June 2006 to mark her two years in the States. She is wondering about re-establishing a Japanese address in the short term (perhaps for less than 60 days) in order to get some benefits, including medical. We're wondering: Will this jeopardize her green card status? Will the U.S. government be aware of this? Any comments you have would be helpful - thanks!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: possible to leave country while awaiting permanent resident status?

Originally Posted by dimsumfan
My wife immigrated to the U.S. in June 2004 from Japan. We know we have to file paperwork in June 2006 to mark her two years in the States. She is wondering about re-establishing a Japanese address in the short term (perhaps for less than 60 days) in order to get some benefits, including medical. We're wondering: Will this jeopardize her green card status? Will the U.S. government be aware of this? Any comments you have would be helpful - thanks!

Hi, I can only speak for my situation. My husband is a US citizen, moi a true Brit and I have had a green card for a number of years and we have a UK home where I spend most of my time although I say I domicile in the USA for green card purposes. I travel about every 6 weeks to the UK and stay for weeks at a time and am never questioned when re-entering the US. We actually were living some 6 yrs prior to moving here to the US when I applied and got my green card (of course did not tell the immigration that) we used our US address. My husband was working for some 18yrs in the UK and loving it :-) prior to his pay check being sent to Houston! I also know of others from other countries that do similar. I have enquired to INS and have been told that the powers that be do not know how long one stays away which I must say surprises me. Hope this makes some sense... Good luck! fyi I'd maybe wait until your wife gets her green card.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My wife immigrated to the U.S. in June 2004 from Japan. We know we have to file paperwork in June 2006 to mark her two years in the States.
If you're talking about removing conditions on her green card, be aware that it must be filed within the 90 days immediately preceding the expiry date on her card. If you wait until the two year mark, you'll quickly find yourself in a jam.

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:16 am
Just Joined

dimsumfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. But don't want to do anything that jeopardizes the process. Appreciate any further advice anyone can offer regarding this situation.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you're talking about removing conditions on her green card, be aware that it must be filed within the 90 days immediately preceding the expiry date on her card. If you wait until the two year mark, you'll quickly find yourself in a jam.

Ian
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I wouldn't establish a permanent address outside the USA until I am a USC. The alien's permanent residence is supposed to be in the USA, with visits overseas. Traveling back to Japan for medical purposes is OK, but I would be wary of indicating a permanent residence there.

Just my two cents worth.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What all is involved in re-establishing a Japanese address?

We maintained 2 households (US & Greece) during the early years of my spouse's Permanent Residency, but there were no US implications for us doing so.

But I do know that the Japanese are a bit more governmentally organized than Greece. I don't know what that might mean for your wife.