Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

At which point my parents will get green card?

At which point my parents will get green card?

Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

samal1485 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default At which point my parents will get green card?

Hello,
I am a USA citizen, and I am trying to bring my parents here. They already had an interview in Russia, and they have been approved.

When they will get the actual green cards? Am I going to get on thier behalf, here in the USA as soon as they arrive in the USA?

Upon arrival, do they need to go the immigration center?

Thanks,

Sam
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At which point my parents will get green card?

Assuming they were granted immigrant visas, they will become legal permanent residents at the border upon entry to the US. Their visas will be endorsed with a stamp serving as a temporary green card; the real plastic thing will come in the mail a few weeks later. They'll have the opportunity to confirm or update the mailing address at the border. They should not need to visit a USCIS field office.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samal1485
When they will get the actual green cards?
Assuming they have Immigrant Visas in their passports, they will get an I-551 endorsement at the POE when they arrive in the USA. This I-551 endorsement is the same thing as a green card. It gives them Permanent Resident status immediately. The actual plastic card should come in the mail about a month after their arrival.

Am I going to get on thier behalf, here in the USA as soon as they arrive in the USA?
You won't get it on their behalf, no. It will come addressed directly to them, at the address they verify at the POE.

Upon arrival, do they need to go the immigration center?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by immigration center. Upon arrival, they will deal with immigration at the POE. The only reason they would need to visit the USCIS office in your city is if their green cards do not arrive in the mail.

Rene
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

samal1485 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot for the expanation!
Sam