Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Please suggest I-130 AND CITIZENSHIP

Please suggest I-130 AND CITIZENSHIP

Old Jan 25th 2001, 11:53 pm
faxig

Hello Guys, 1- I am eligible for citizenship in May, current GC holder. Is it wise to file
the form I-130 now for my wife who entered this country without a visa or shall I wait
till I become a citizen? 2-How long will it take after the filing as a GC holder before
she obtains a work permit? what difference will it make if wait till I am a citizen? 3- Do
you thing that being married to someone who entered the country illegally may affect,
tarnish or /and disqualify me from obtaining m citizenship? Thanks Camille Olsen

Old Jan 26th 2001, 11:05 am
Alvena Ferreira

1- I am eligible for citizenship in May, current GC holder. Is it wise
> to file the form I-130 now for my wife who entered this country without a visa or shall
> I wait till I become a citizen? 2-How long will it take after the filing as a GC holder
> before she obtains a work permit? what difference will it make if wait till I am a
> citizen? 3- Do you thing that being married to someone who entered the country illegally
> may affect, tarnish or /and disqualify me from obtaining m citizenship?

FILE NOW, under the 245i provision of the law...presuming that your wife entered withOUT
inspection (ie, entered illegally)....you need to have this filed BEFORE 4/30/01, and I
suggest that you use AN ATTORNEY. Once you are a citizen, the petition can be upped to
citizen status and will process promptly, hOWEVER, you cannot get her adjusted AT ALL
unless you file under the current temporary 245i window due to the illegal manner of her
entry, so get cracking on this. My 245i page:
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/245i.html

alvena

Old Jan 29th 2001, 12:56 pm
Andy Platt

Alvena,

I like the new 245(i) section. Just one comment. The "big" question says:

"There is only one question to be asked in this situation: Did the immigrant spouse arrive
in the US on a legal visa when he/she originally came into the US?"

This should be expanded to say "legal visa (including visa waiver, etc - the important
thing being that they crossed the border legally)" or something like that - you could
probably word it much better!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> [email protected] wrote:
> > 1- I am eligible for citizenship in May, current GC holder. Is it wise to file the
> > form I-130 now for my wife who entered this country without a visa or shall I wait
> > till I become a citizen? 2-How long will it take after the filing as a GC holder
> > before she obtains a work permit? what difference will it make if wait till I am a
> > citizen? 3- Do you thing that being married to someone who entered the country
> > illegally may affect, tarnish or /and disqualify me from obtaining m citizenship?
>
> FILE NOW, under the 245i provision of the law...presuming that your wife entered withOUT
> inspection (ie, entered illegally)....you need to have this filed BEFORE 4/30/01, and I
> suggest that you use AN ATTORNEY. Once you are a citizen, the petition can be upped to
> citizen status and will process promptly, hOWEVER, you cannot get her adjusted AT ALL
> unless you file under the current temporary 245i window due to the illegal manner of her
> entry, so get cracking on this. My 245i page:
> http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/245i.html
>
> alvena