Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Please Help :((( B2 Tourist Visa denied, can i still apply for an ESTA ???

Please Help :((( B2 Tourist Visa denied, can i still apply for an ESTA ???

Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:03 am
Just Joined

mayinhay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please Help :((( B2 Tourist Visa denied, can i still apply for an ESTA ???

oh, it's true that i need a return ticket before i get the esta isn't it? will need to look for one that goes to ireland if that's the case. my friend said when she applied for the esta she had to put down an address of where she was going to stay for the first week of when she got there. is a hostel better than a friend's house do you think?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please Help :((( B2 Tourist Visa denied, can i still apply for an ESTA ???

Dear of dear

Just apply for it, having screwed the B2 you are now over indulging.

You have no ties that I can see, nor a particularly good reason for wanting to stay longer than 90 days.

You do not need a booking for ESTA, and yes you are likely to get quizzed when entering on the VWP.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You do not need a booking for ESTA, and yes you are likely to get quizzed when entering on the VWP.
I agree with Boiler on that, and you probably would be quizzed if you showed up with a B2 also now. A B2 does not guarantee you entry any more than an approved ESTA does.

Just apply for the damn ESTA. You are overthinking this way too much.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayinhay
if i get the esta i'll prob still be questioned when i get to the us right because of the previous visa denial?
Yes, you might be questioned.

... and might be denied entry.
Yes, you might be denied entry.

... if that happens i'll never be allowed in the us again under the waiver program?
Yes... never.

... or at least for many years?
No... never.

do you think maybe it makes more sense to try for the b2 visa again because if i get that, i'm more likely to be allowed in when i get there?
What makes more sense, is for you to apply for ESTA and see what happens. Once you know, it'll be a lot easier for you to make a plan of action. As long as you waffle about applying, nothing is going to change no matter how much effert you put into thinking about it.

it's true that i need a return ticket before i get the esta isn't it?
It's true that you can't travel to the US without a return ticket... which is different from having a return ticket before you apply for ESTA.

... is a hostel better than a friend's house do you think?
No, it's neither better nor worse. If they want an address, give them an address.

Ian
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

ok well you didn't answer this, if i apply for an esta and am denied will this furhter hinder my chances of getting a b2 visa? my chances are hindered anyway because it's been denied already but will it make it worse?
The answer is NO. Applying for the ESTA is the only option you have right now. Your travel conforms with VWP travel.

It seems you won't go and read about the ESTA. It's not a single time use. It will be valid for 2 years if approved, so you don't need the return flight or hotel details.. they are going to change over the course of 2 years.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:07 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

oh, it's true that i need a return ticket before i get the esta isn't it? will need to look for one that goes to ireland if that's the case. my friend said when she applied for the esta she had to put down an address of where she was going to stay for the first week of when she got there. is a hostel better than a friend's house do you think?
You put down the first address that you'll be staying in. I really don't think they care whether it's a hostel or a friend's place.

It's possible to update the info on ESTA before your each individual visit. You just need to write/print out the ESTA confirmation number when you get it approved. The number will let you go back in and update stuff.

Just apply for the freaking ESTA!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Bajusz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I personally would wait until 12 months have elapsed before applying for ESTA. I think your chances of being approved to travel would be better in 12 months time than they are now. Even if you are approved to travel in the future I think you might still be questioned at the port of entry and pulled into secondary. This has happened to me as well but in my case the visa was refused some 7 years before I applied for ESTA. I got authorisation but then was questioned at secondary about the previous refusal. It goes without saying that you must answer YES to the question: have you ever been refused a visa? Don't be afraid to answer yes. In my experience a previous visa refusal doesn't mean automatically that you will be denied entry. You just need to answer the question thruthfully and then explain to the CBP Officer about that previous refusal. I concur with the other members on this forum that you should stop asking the US embassy for advice. I doubt they care much about your predicament so they are not the right people to ask questions in terms of what you should do next.

Good luck.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:26 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bajusz
Hi

I personally would wait until 12 months have elapsed before applying for ESTA. I think your chances of being approved to travel would be better in 12 months time than they are now. Even if you are approved to travel in the future I think you might still be questioned at the port of entry and pulled into secondary. This has happened to me as well but in my case the visa was refused some 7 years before I applied for ESTA. I got authorisation but then was questioned at secondary about the previous refusal. It goes without saying that you must answer YES to the question: have you ever been refused a visa? Don't be afraid to answer yes. In my experience a previous visa refusal doesn't mean automatically that you will be denied entry. You just need to answer the question thruthfully and then explain to the CBP Officer about that previous refusal. I concur with the other members on this forum that you should stop asking the US embassy for advice. I doubt they care much about your predicament so they are not the right people to ask questions in terms of what you should do next.

Good luck.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am curious about what you have based your '12 months' time-frame on?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

bimba123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mayinhay!

what did you do?

I have applied for a b2 visa 15 days ago. they denied me.
now , to travel to usa, I have to reapply for a new Esta?
I check my status and it is stil ACTIVE..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don t know if
1. trying fly to usa with my old esta (that is active)
2. do another esta but i knoe in this case they will not approve esta

3. wait for another appointment where I ll ask another visa...

i suppose to fly and try.. a visa denial is not a esta denial.. i will tell the truth by filling i - 94
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:03 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bimba123
Hi mayinhay!

what did you do?

I have applied for a b2 visa 15 days ago. they denied me.
now , to travel to usa, I have to reapply for a new Esta?
I check my status and it is stil ACTIVE..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don t know if
1. trying fly to usa with my old esta (that is active)
2. do another esta but i knoe in this case they will not approve esta

3. wait for another appointment where I ll ask another visa...

i suppose to fly and try.. a visa denial is not a esta denial.. i will tell the truth by filling i - 94
You've already been told on the other thread that you need a new ESTA.

Thanks for reviving this old train wreck of a thread by the way. I enjoyed it enough the first time around but the second time was a hoot.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

bimba123 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you are not interested why are u replying in such a bad way?
sorry
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
You've already been told on the other thread that you need a new ESTA.

Thanks for reviving this old train wreck of a thread by the way. I enjoyed it enough the first time around but the second time was a hoot.
"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." Paul Simon.

I was called on a consultation by another immigration attorney this morning -- we agreed that Paul Simon set out a cardinal principle of immigration practice.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:06 am
Septic Sprout

if you are not interested why are u replying in such a bad way?
Because you already got the correct answer elsewhere but either didn't bother listening or didn't bother referencing it here.

If it's the former then that's a bit rude as someone took the time and trouble out of their day to help you.

It it's the latter then why on earth did you post what you did on this thread? It certainly wouldn't assist the OP and could actually mislead them.

If you're willing to help and be helped then stick around. If not...

sorry
Apology accepted.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

bimba has her answers in another thread. This one is closed.

Rene