Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Plastic Green card came CONDITIONAL but Passport was stamped UNCONDITIONAL???!?

Plastic Green card came CONDITIONAL but Passport was stamped UNCONDITIONAL???!?

Old Feb 15th 2001, 12:00 am
-=SilentBob=-

On 1/2/2001 my wife and I had the interview for the green card, after 33 whole months of
waiting. Everything went fine, also at the time of the interview my wife and I were
married for 3 1/2 years. The INS officer even mentioned that the card is going to be
'unconditional', in other words it would not have the 2 year conditional restrictions.

Well today I got the green card and everything is spelled correctly but it expires in 2
years! On my Passport, the INS officer that conducted the interview put the code 'IR6'
that stands for UNCONDITIONAL but the plastic Green Card that came in the mail from the
process center in Texas says says 'CR6'. which stands for CONDITIONAL.

Am I correct about the provision of '..if marriage of more than 2 years exists at the
point of the INTERVIEW then the GC is unconditional (10 years)' and what do I do next?
Does it matter where we were married and what type of visa I entered the US on?

To add some more details, we got married in Greece and I entered the US on a tourist visa
and filed for adjustment of status back in early 1998.

Advice please! Thank you.

Old Feb 15th 2001, 12:26 pm
Andy Platt

It's an INS mistake. File I-90 - you don't need to pay the fee:

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fo...files/i-90.pdf

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> On 1/2/2001 my wife and I had the interview for the green card, after 33 whole months of
> waiting. Everything went fine, also at the time of the interview my wife and I were
> married for 3 1/2 years. The INS officer even mentioned that the card is going to be
> 'unconditional', in other words it would not have the 2 year conditional restrictions.
>
> Well today I got the green card and everything is spelled correctly but it expires in 2
> years! On my Passport, the INS officer that conducted the interview put the code 'IR6'
> that stands for UNCONDITIONAL but the plastic Green Card that came in the mail from the
> process center in Texas says says 'CR6'. which stands for CONDITIONAL.
>
> Am I correct about the provision of '..if marriage of more than 2 years exists at the
> point of the INTERVIEW then the GC is unconditional (10 years)' and what do I do next?
> Does it matter where we were married and what type of visa I entered the US on?
>
> To add some more details, we got married in Greece and I entered the US on a tourist
> visa and filed for adjustment of status back in early 1998.
>
> Advice please! Thank you.

Old Feb 15th 2001, 7:47 pm
riri

Actually CR6 is Conditional Adjustment. R

> On 1/2/2001 my wife and I had the interview for the green card, after 33 whole months of
> waiting. Everything went fine, also at the time of the interview my wife and I were
> married for 3 1/2 years. The INS officer even mentioned that the card is going to be
> 'unconditional', in other words it would not have the 2 year conditional restrictions.
>
> Well today I got the green card and everything is spelled correctly but it expires in 2
> years! On my Passport, the INS officer that conducted the interview put the code 'IR6'
> that stands for UNCONDITIONAL but the plastic Green Card that came in the mail from the
> process center in Texas says says 'CR6'. which stands for CONDITIONAL.
>
> Am I correct about the provision of '..if marriage of more than 2 years exists at the
> point of the INTERVIEW then the GC is unconditional (10 years)' and what do I do next?
> Does it matter where we were married and what type of visa I entered the US on?
>
> To add some more details, we got married in Greece and I entered the US on a tourist
> visa and filed for adjustment of status back in early 1998.
>
> Advice please! Thank you.

Old Feb 15th 2001, 8:09 pm
Andy Platt

> Actually CR6 is Conditional Adjustment.

I don't get your point. SilentBob, obviously a Sinclair fan btw, knows that CR is for
conditional - but he should have got IR because of the duration of the marriage.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Feb 16th 2001, 1:01 am
-=SilentBob=-

Thanks Andy. I went to the local INS office and they corrected the error in the database
(I believe the same one all process centers share) and filled out a new I-90. My new
unconditional 'plastic' card will be back in 2 to 3 months. What a pain.

Regards, SB

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:26:11 -0500, "Andy Platt"

>It's an INS mistake. File I-90 - you don't need to pay the fee:
>
>http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fo...files/i-90.pdf
>
>Andy.

Old Feb 16th 2001, 1:02 am
-=SilentBob=-

I believe he wanted to clarify the meaning of 'CR6' BTW, the days of Sir Clive 'Uncle'
Sinclair were unforgettable !

Regards, SB

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:09:51 -0500, "Andy Platt"

>> Actually CR6 is Conditional Adjustment.
>
>I don't get your point. SilentBob, obviously a Sinclair fan btw, knows that CR is for
>conditional - but he should have got IR because of the duration of the marriage.
>
>Andy.