Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

P-don's question about ESTA, B visa, and American father

P-don's question about ESTA, B visa, and American father

Old Oct 27th 2017, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

P-don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P-don's question about ESTA, B visa, and American father

I'm in a similar position, been going to the US since i was a child as my dad is American. I used to have an indefinite visa which i presented to the customs officer on a trip to Boston in 2007 he told me the visa was invalid and after i explained why i had it he allowed me in for 6 months. In 2011 & 2012 me and my family went to Orlando but my partner had filled in my ESTA and ticked no to any convictions, not realising i had 2 from many years ago for possession of small amounts of cannabis. Anyway i traveled without any problems. Now i'm thinking how stupid it was travelling without applying for a visa first. What are my chances of getting a visa now? does having an American dad mean anything towards an application?
Old Oct 27th 2017, 3:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this game over?

Originally Posted by P-don
I'm in a similar position, been going to the US since i was a child as my dad is American. I used to have an indefinite visa which i presented to the customs officer on a trip to Boston in 2007 he told me the visa was invalid and after i explained why i had it he allowed me in for 6 months. In 2011 & 2012 me and my family went to Orlando but my partner had filled in my ESTA and ticked no to any convictions, not realising i had 2 from many years ago for possession of small amounts of cannabis. Anyway i traveled without any problems. Now i'm thinking how stupid it was travelling without applying for a visa first. What are my chances of getting a visa now? does having an American dad mean anything towards an application?
If your dad is a US citizen...you may be too...then you wouldn’t need a visa and cannot be excluded from entering the US.

Maybe open a new thread enquiring about your citizenship.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 5:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P-don's question about ESTA, B visa, and American father

I started a new thread for the OP.

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2017, 2:24 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P-don's question about ESTA, B visa, and American father

A visa would be required for the controlled substance conviction(s). The USC father has pros and cons. Visiting Dad is a compelling reason to approve a visitor visa and a waiver if the concerns about you possibly seeking enter to reside with Dad can be overcome.

They generally don't issue visitor visas to US citizens, so derivation at this point is unlikely. If derivation occurred, it was most likely at birth and the visa was issued after that. It's worth a look, but not a long look especially if Dad became a USC after the OP was born.

The old indefinite visas were shortened to 10 years about 15 years ago, but they gave 10 years plus one last trip for a while and cancelled (CWOP) it at entry.