Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Re: SSN and Permanent Resident Card ( green card)

Re: SSN and Permanent Resident Card ( green card)

Old Oct 29th 2017, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SSN and Permanent Resident Card ( green card)

Hi
Just an update- approved for US Immigration Visa and entered US September 9th as POE at JFK -Stayed for a few days only to apply for SSN and to open bank account and then travelled back to the UK.
Surprisingly, as its only been 7 weeks since POE, we have received our US Permanent Resident Cards yesterday but disappointingly no news yet on the Social Security Number
Unsure as to why the delay with SSN and having called the office for a status update they were unbale to tell me anything other than' visit a SSN Office' and enquire in person.
I guess, it’s just as well that I have another short trip planned in 2 weeks’ time and hope to get this sorted out but when we originally applied we were told '3 -weeks' and then to call the toll free number they gave
Old Oct 30th 2017, 11:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Usually they will not tell you anything over the phone. Go in person. It might well be that they didn't see you in the SAVE system and had to write manually for verification of your immigrant status. Go and bring your green card with you as well as your passport. Or are you still back in the UK?
Old Oct 30th 2017, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you applied for an SSN through a social security office immediately after entering the US on your immigrant visa. The problem is that it takes up to ten working days after that entry for your record in the immigration database to be updated with your new status as an LPR. When you apply for an SSN early like that, the SSA have to go through the manual verification route which can take 2-3 months.

If you still haven’t received your SSN when you next go to the US, you should go to a social security office and enquire. Specifically ask if they can now see your status on the immigration database and if they say yes, file a new form SS-5 with them and it should come in a couple of weeks.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mnay thanks to both replies..
in hindsight, i should have beem a little more patience as yes, i did apply immediately after entering the US!!
I am going over again in 2 weeks and will visit the office again