Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

One-way flight on Visa Waiver Program

One-way flight on Visa Waiver Program

Old Feb 11th 2015, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

dan_crow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One-way flight on Visa Waiver Program

Hey guys

I think I know the answer to this question already, but would still really appreciate any input/advice on offer.

I'm going to the US for 3 months under the Visa Waiver Program and as it stands have only booked a one way flight as I don't know whether I'll be flying back to the UK once those 3 months have passed or heading onwards to Canada with a working holiday visa.

I work in film and tv and have always wanted to take a crack at the American industry, so my plan is to use the 90 days permitted under the VWP to meet people (informally i.e. NOT a job interview) and hopefully tie down [legal] work after the 3 months have passed i.e. fly back to the UK until I have the correct visa in hand to head back out to the States and work.

However, if during my 3 months in the States on the VWP, I decide the US isn't for me, I'll pop across the border to Canada with my working hol visa and set up shop over there.

My concern is that I won't be able to get through US immigration without showing evidence of a return/onward flight. Starting to feel like I may need to buy one regardless, but I'd really rather not waste all that money on a return flight without knowing whether I'll be coming back to the UK or heading on to Canada.

Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Old Feb 11th 2015, 2:32 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One-way flight on Visa Waiver Program

Originally Posted by dan_crow
Hey guys

I think I know the answer to this question already, but would still really appreciate any input/advice on offer.

I'm going to the US for 3 months under the Visa Waiver Program and as it stands have only booked a one way flight as I don't know whether I'll be flying back to the UK once those 3 months have passed or heading onwards to Canada with a working holiday visa.

I work in film and tv and have always wanted to take a crack at the American industry, so my plan is to use the 90 days permitted under the VWP to meet people (informally i.e. NOT a job interview) and hopefully tie down [legal] work after the 3 months have passed i.e. fly back to the UK until I have the correct visa in hand to head back out to the States and work.

However, if during my 3 months in the States on the VWP, I decide the US isn't for me, I'll pop across the border to Canada with my working hol visa and set up shop over there.

My concern is that I won't be able to get through US immigration without showing evidence of a return/onward flight. Starting to feel like I may need to buy one regardless, but I'd really rather not waste all that money on a return flight without knowing whether I'll be coming back to the UK or heading on to Canada.

Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
I suspect you will meet your first hurdle trying to board the plane. I believe that you must have a retyrn ticket to even get on the plane to the US. Just make sure you book to leave by about day 88, just in case there is a problem with the flight, you do not want to go over, even by one day.

Last edited by mikelincs; Feb 11th 2015 at 2:37 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Round trip flights are often cheaper than one-way (but more restrictive), unless you're doing it on points/miles. I suspect the first hurdle would not be with immigration but with the airline departing from the UK - they won't let you board unless they're satisfied that US immigration will probably let you in. You should have proof of onward travel (which is not necessarily a round trip ticket).

Plan for a bit less than 90 days just in case you have a mishap on the way to the airport going back home, or the flight is cancelled, bad weather, or whatever.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 2:38 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I'd really rather not waste all that money on a return flight
A common complaint on here, from those flying over to immigrate, is the cost of a one-way ticket and can they buy a return and not use the second half.

Exactly how much is "all that money", i.e. the cost difference between a one-way ticket for you and a return? I would expect the difference to be not significant.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Actually guys, it's not so much cost that's the issue. It's more not knowing whether I'll be flying onward to Canada or back to the UK. That's the reason I haven't booked the return/onward flight yet. On top of that, I really want the flexibility to travel round the US without an itinerary, so don't at this stage know where I'd be flying home/onward from.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

If cost isn't an issue, book a flexible return. Mind you, many "fixed date" fares are changeable with fees anyway. Push the return date out a long time, like 11 months, then if you need to return home, change the date accordingly.

You can throw away the return portion if you don't need it. A one-off like that and nobody would notice. If you did it on a weekly basis with the same airline then yes, some people have been "talked to" by said airline but that's clearly not an issue here.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 3:06 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Actually guys, it's not so much cost that's the issue. It's more not knowing whether I'll be flying onward to Canada or back to the UK. That's the reason I haven't booked the return/onward flight yet. On top of that, I really want the flexibility to travel round the US without an itinerary, so don't at this stage know where I'd be flying home/onward from.
A return ticket may be cheaper, or insignificantly more expensive, than a one-way. Buy a return. Meet the VWP requirements.

But you seem to think that having that ticket in your pocket messes with your flexibility to travel around the US. How? What am I missing?
Old Feb 11th 2015, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help guys. It is a bit of an unusual situation!

Basically, at this moment in time I have a one-way flight to New York booked in May (£220 - bargain!)

From then onwards it's anyone's guess where I'll end up. That's the reason I haven't booked a return flight. On top of that, I may be going to Canada once my 3 months are up - another reason for not having booked the 2nd flight.

If, hypothetically, I booked a return flight from LA to London (within the 3 months allowed under VWP) it might mean I'd have to travel all the way from NYC to LA just to catch my return flight home. I've never been to the States before, so what's to say I go to NYC and want to spend all 3 months there? Very unlikely, but just trying to shed some light on my situation.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 3:17 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

American carriers are much better at letting you change non flexible tickets for fee. Even if you end up not using it, it's probably still smarter to buy the return , if you end up needing it, 2 x 1 way will cost a lot more than what you lose if you don't us the return and cant get any credit. e.g. you could change a return from JFK-LHR to a return from LAX-LHR for a fee + fare difference.

What you are explaining may make sense to you, but it may raise red flags. If you want to board your flight and get though immigration without issue, just book the return.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

ihaveavisa is an unknown quantity at this point

why not book a return ticket ,and then throw it in the bin once you have been admitted , buy a new one when needed within the 90 days

btw , Norwegian airlines are currently selling RETURN tickets from as little as £203 , so cheaper then your one way ticket

​Cheap Flights to New York from Oslo just £203 Return
Old Feb 11th 2015, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Basically, at this moment in time I have a one-way flight to New York booked in May (£220 - bargain!)
So why not book a one-way back as well, since cost is no problem?! Or buy a fully flexible (ie cancel with no/little fee) one-way back?

Having proof of onward travel and less stress when travelling is surely worth the either small fee or temporary loan to the airline for a refundable ticket?
Old Feb 11th 2015, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which US work visa will you be looking for?
Old Feb 11th 2015, 4:27 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

1. The VWP requires either a return ticket or a ticket for trip out of the country. This is by definition.

2. Even if the non-citizen has a visa, the one-way ticket will be a red-flag in front of the bulls who work for the Government. That has been true from before I became a lawyer back in 1975.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 4:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Very unlikely, but just trying to shed some light on my situation.
To shed some light on the situation at the border: the folks who will be charged with deciding whether or not you can enter the country probably get two weeks vacation per year, so the first red flag is that you plan to push your stay to the limit of the VWP. Then, who goes on holiday without a ticket to get them home again? As Mr. F has indicated, the point is moot as you aren't going to get on the plane in the first place without a return ticket, but just think of how fishy your scenario would sound to a person whose job it is to weed out people who might attempt to overstay their welcome!
Old Feb 11th 2015, 4:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the requirements for using the VWP is that you have PROOF of return flight or onward travel. Immigration doesn't care if that's at your inconvenience. Get the ticket before leaving the UK, and change it later.

Also, don't switch between saying "90 days" and "3 months" as you're doing. They aren't the same, and 90 days is the correct one to use.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.