Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Official job title - weight carried in L1A application

Official job title - weight carried in L1A application

Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Question Official job title - weight carried in L1A application

Hi All

I am no lawyer, but both my employer and I think that I qualify for L1A in executive capacity as per 101(a)(44) section B:
  • (i) I direct a major component of the organisation;
  • (ii) I establish the goals and policies of the component;
  • (iii) I exercise wide latitude in discretionary decision-making; and
  • (iv) I receive only general direction from higher level executives of the organisation.

Questions:
  1. What weight does my official job title carry for L1A application? My official job title is "Senior Solutions Architect" and I report directly to a VP (in the US) and the Managing Director (in the UK).
  2. My employment contract does make no mention of my job title or responsibilities, or my salary. My job title and salary are confirmed in the offer letter I received. But it makes no mention of my job responsibilities. Should I get the company to put my responsibilities (in some ways mirroring the language of 101(a)(44) section B) in a revised offer letter, as I am pretty sure this will have to be presented as part of the L1A application?

Thanks!
Old Nov 26th 2017, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Official job title - weight carried in L1A application

Whilst senior SA is a great job, it doesn't strike me as a executive - moreso that you report to a VP rather than at VP level yourself (that's what I personally see as "executives". Maybe if your job title was chief architect and you were a VP it would have some more punch.

You say your employer thinks... Is that on advice from experienced legal counsel? Or just someone in HR thinks?
Old Nov 26th 2017, 3:17 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Official job title - weight carried in L1A application

Originally Posted by tom169
Whilst senior SA is a great job, it doesn't strike me as a executive - moreso that you report to a VP rather than at VP level yourself (that's what I personally see as "executives". Maybe if your job title was chief architect and you were a VP it would have some more punch.

You say your employer thinks... Is that on advice from experienced legal counsel? Or just someone in HR thinks?
Thanksgiving weekend. Won't get a call from the lawyer. When I was in practice, this what we did - massage the language if possible. Sometimes organizations do not write their own organizational charts that fit what Immigration is looking for.

In any case, we really don't know about OP's situation.

By way of answering OP's question in a general way, the minions of the dark forces have repeatedly stated that title does not government. But it always struck me that the idea was aimed at the plethora of "vice-presidents."