Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Obtaining a citizenship or permanent residence

Obtaining a citizenship or permanent residence

Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Marcell528 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining a citizenship or permanent residence

Hi there, I'm 17 years of age born and currently residing in the U.K.

I live in the U.K with both my parents, however, my grandmother married and is now a full US citizen that has been living there for roughly 10 years. I have lots of other relatives there : Aunts, Uncles, cousins

Can my parents apply for me to get US citizenship through grandparents?

Is it possible for me to move there?

Is there a way to be sponsored so I can go live there?

What options are available to me?

Can exceptions be made?

What am I entitled to? Green card etc

I read other threads regarding a parent that was able to get their young child US citizenship through the grandparent.

Thanks.

Last edited by Marcell528; Nov 20th 2017 at 8:52 am.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining a citizenship or permanent residence

Are either of your parents US citizens?
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
Are either of your parents US citizens?
My grandmother is but my parents aren't. If I'm correct, my mother would be eligible to claim US citizenship since that's her mother?
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:11 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

In order for your mother to be a citizen, your grandmother must have been a citizen at the time of your mother's birth and have lived in the USA for a certain amount of time prior to the birth.

If your grandmother obtained citizenship after your mother was born, then your mother would have also become a citizen at the same time if she was a child at the time and was living with her in the USA at the time as a permanent resident.

It seems neither of the above is true.

Citizenship through grandparents is for children where one or more parents are already US citizens but cannot pass on the citizenship to their children because they live overseas and have not met the physical presence requirement. This does not apply in your case.

In short, you have no more or less chance of living in the US than anyone else. The usual avenues (marriage, investment or employment) are the only options but due to your age not yet.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
In order for your mother to be a citizen, your grandmother must have been a citizen at the time of your mother's birth and have lived in the USA for a certain amount of time prior to the birth.

If your grandmother obtained citizenship after your mother was born, then your mother would have also become a citizen at the same time if she was a child at the time and was living with her in the USA at the time as a permanent resident.

It seems neither of the above is true.

Citizenship through grandparents is for children where one or more parents are already US citizens but cannot pass on the citizenship to their children because they live overseas and have not met the physical presence requirement. This does not apply in your case.

In short, you have no more or less chance of living in the US than anyone else. The usual avenues (marriage, investment or employment) are the only options but due to your age not yet.
What if my mother was to claim citizenship through her mother(US Citizen) after she is there for 5 years or so I can claim citizenship?
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marcell528
What if my mother was to claim citizenship through her mother(US Citizen) after she is there for 5 years or so I can claim citizenship?
As above, your mother has no way of claiming US citizenship unfortunately. The only route she could have would be to get your grandmother to sponsor her for a visa, and then many years down the line she could move to the US and then do the same for you. But that's a long old route and only works if your mother does actually want to move to the US! So you'd be better off just concentrating on getting a really good eduction (degree as a minimum, ideally a masters) and working your way up in a multinational company so that you can transfer over there at some point when you have the skills/experience to qualify for a visa.

Best of luck to you.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marcell528
Hi there, I'm 17 years of age born and currently residing in the U.K.

I live in the U.K with both my parents, however, my grandmother married and is now a full US citizen that has been living there for roughly 10 years. I have lots of other relatives there : Aunts, Uncles, cousins

Can my parents apply for me to get US citizenship through grandparents?
No, you are not eligible for US citizenship through your grandmother. She is a naturalized US Citizen and as such, her child (your mother) is not a US Citizen. Your grandmother needed to have obtained US Citizenship prior to her child's 18 birthday and your other must have held a green card in order for your mother to have automatically become a US Citizen when their parent naturalized. Since you are 17 and your grandmother has only been in the US for ten years ago and naturalized very recently, this obviously did not occur. So that avenue is closed to you.

Is it possible for me to move there?
Yes, if you are granted the appropriate visa. You would be eligible for a student visa, if you were to want to go to school in the US or a work visa, if you skill and education to fit one of the many categories eligible for a H visa or if you work for a UK company with offices in the US and work for them for at least 3 years, one year of which is in a managerial position for a transfer to the US under an L1A visa.

All these visas will do is allow you to live in the US temporarily and unless you have a work visa and the employer is willing to sponsor you for a green card, you will have no basis to live in the US permanently.

Is there a way to be sponsored so I can go live there?

What options are available to me?
See above.

Can exceptions be made?
No!

What am I entitled to? Green card etc
Nothing.

I read other threads regarding a parent that was able to get their young child US citizenship through the grandparent.

Thanks.
This does not apply to you. See posts from other informed people on this thread.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 20th 2017 at 12:37 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can your US family pay for you to go to Uni in the US?