Oath Ceremony - paperwork

Old Dec 1st 2017, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oath Ceremony - paperwork

In under three and a half months from first filing my N400 I have my oath ceremony scheduled for the beginning of December. This seems like warp speed considering the incredibly, incredibly lengthy process we had adjusting status from H1b/H4's to GC but that is by the by.

I am wondering about paperwork required for the oath ceremony.

The letter requests "All reentry permits or refuge travel documents you may have valid or expired".

I have an old British passport that has an original expired H4 visa in it. My current valid British passport has nothing relating to visas in it. So, should I take that old expired passport? Is that legally required? If I didnt take it would that somehow invalidate my ceremony? Will they keep my expired passport with the old visa in it?

The letter also requests "any other documents USCIS issued to you". I have an expired EAD should I take that too?

Many thanks all, in advance.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oath Ceremony - paperwork

I can't speak from experience on the N400 front but I would quite literally take anything and everything. I'd rather have it and not need it etc.

Congratulations though
Old Dec 1st 2017, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
I can't speak from experience on the N400 front but I would quite literally take anything and everything. I'd rather have it and not need it etc.

Congratulations though
Lol, this is exactly what we did for our naturalization "interview" and "test" . Folders and folders of stuff that neither my examiner or my husband's even glanced at.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 5:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What they are looking for are records of your trips outside of the US since your residency just to ascertain that you have the required time inside of the US to uphold your claim to eligibility for naturalization. A passport is such a small item, I would say, yes, bring it. Not like you will need a passport to carry it in. If you haven't travelled since your naturalization interview, then you are fine.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 1st 2017 at 5:49 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Lol, this is exactly what we did for our naturalization "interview" and "test" . Folders and folders of stuff that neither my examiner or my husband's even glanced at.
The OP is referring to the naturalization oath ceremony. You certainly don't want (or need) to turn up to that with "folders and folders of stuff".

For mine, I simply had to hand in my green card and the completed N445 declaration.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Dec 1st 2017 at 5:58 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 6:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
.... For mine, I simply had to hand in my green card and the completed N445 declaration.
All I had was my green card too, but they might want to stamp VOID on an old visa, or punch a hole through it - but they cannot confiscate an old passport or deface it by removing pages.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 6:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
The OP is referring to the naturalization oath ceremony. You certainly don't want (or need) to turn up to that with "folders and folders of stuff".

For mine, I simply had to hand in my green card and the completed N445 declaration.
Since you were quoting the OP, not sure who you were addressing. They asked at the time of my husband's naturalization to bring any documentation, i.e. passport, etc., if he had traveled outside of the US between the examination and the ceremony.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

"Re-entry permits" and "refuge travel documents" are specific travel documents. Nothing you've written suggests you have either. It certainly doesn't refer to your old passport with an H-4 - all USCIS is interested in at this point is travel since you became a US LPR and within the last five (or three if qualifying by marriage) years before your naturalization date.

I just took my Green Card to my ceremony. I noticed that many other people had brought their non-US passports but I didn't notice any of the USCIS officers attending taking any interest in them, and I wasn't asked for or about my UK passport at any point.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:18 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The request is addressed only to USCIS issued travel documents. It should be noted that the I-551 green card serves as a reentry permit. A refugee/asylee who has become a lawful permanent resident may very well have a refugee travel documents.

Once a person becomes a US citizen, they no longer travel as an "alien" which by definition excuse US citizens and Nationals.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:26 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it may be different for you, but my lawyer advised me that I only needed to take my green card.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all, awesome advice as always
Old Dec 4th 2017, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Since you were quoting the OP, not sure who you were addressing. They asked at the time of my husband's naturalization to bring any documentation, i.e. passport, etc., if he had traveled outside of the US between the examination and the ceremony.
My mistake. I missed the fact that I was quoting the OP! Nevertheless my point still stands, that green card and N445 is normally all that is required for the ceremony
Old Dec 4th 2017, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I had travelled abroad between interview and oath ceremony but didn’t being my British passport to the oath ceremony and no one said a thing.