O-1A Visa Application

Old Aug 29th 2017, 11:19 am
CTU
Just Joined

CTU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default O-1A Visa Application

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience of applying for an O-1A visa and the letters of support/research statement that are required. I have a job offer from a large, multi-national company (that I haven't previously worked for) and this is the visa that they/their attorneys have chosen. However, the language seems rather over the top in the examples provided when describing my research (I'm currently a post-doc and the other examples given would make me seem like a Nobel Prize winner...). Is this normal? And does anyone have experience/advice of how to mould post-doc level work (where you are still working for someone else) into such a style of writing?

Any advice would be much appreciated, and I'm happy to provide more information if it is needed/relevant.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 29th 2017, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O-1A Visa Application

Originally Posted by CTU
Hi all,

However, the language seems rather over the top in the examples provided when describing my research (I'm currently a post-doc and the other examples given would make me seem like a Nobel Prize winner...). Is this normal?
He he. If you were to go back and look at MY very first posts on here, you could find a message pretty close to verbatim as yours.

You have the advantage over me that you are probably published - and I made it. Letters of support from those in the field, publications (printed copies) all help.

No visa is "easy" to get, but the O-1 is one which seems to be judged on the weight of paperwork submitted.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
... the O-1 is one which seems to be judged on the weight of paperwork submitted.
I think about 2.5 kg worth of paper is sufficient.

Ian
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I think about 2.5 kg worth of paper is sufficient.

Ian
Another 500gm for the EB1-A
Old Aug 29th 2017, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CTU
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience of applying for an O-1A visa and the letters of support/research statement that are required.
What's your field ?

Steve
Old Aug 30th 2017, 12:55 pm
CTU
Just Joined

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I found the original post (it uses exactly the same phrase!) and it sounds encouraging, the timeline mentioned in your signature is encouraging as well, O-1 seems to be quite a quick visa to obtain. I have most of the data sorted, although it did take a while to collate, I think we're up to about 60 pages of A4 so far (they wanted my thesis introduction which comes in at about 25 pages on its own). Now I just need to finalise the letters of support and research summary, the language is rather over the top, but it seems to be the way it is done.

Interestingly the attorneys mentioned in that thread are the ones handling my application.

I'm an organic chemist, will be working in pharmaceuticals.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 5:13 pm
CTU
Just Joined

Need a few more posts to access PMs, sorry!