O-1 Visa

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute
Default O-1 Visa

Hi all,

Asking for a friend as I am already a PR. I have a colleague who has written numerous books, is a major speaker at all industry events and teaches throughout the world.

He's never had a problem coming over here and does so at least on a yearly basis to speak at the biggest industry event in the world.

He wants to make the move to the US but is unsure of what documentation he requires to support the 'known person'. I am asking on his behalf as he seems to think he needs a number of supporting documents that are not listed in the application pack per his former attorney who looked in to this a year or two ago.

Just a little friendly advice to pass on to him if you please...
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O-1 Visa

I would lean towards taking the advice available on the government website about the O-1 requirements.

The only thing I can think of is the attorney did not believe he was eligible in a black and white sense and felt some other items of proof would push him over the edge. Either that, or the attorney was on a jolly.

It would be helpful to know what other documents he feels he needs to assemble.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Refer him to an experienced immigration attorney fora consultation. O1 visas are not DIY jobs.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Refer him to an experienced immigration attorney for a consultation. O-1 visas are not DIY jobs.
This is true.

Every O-1 case is different and we have a couple of O-1 (related) members here on BE (one is married to a former O-1), but based on what you have said, he may already be "over qualified" for an O-1, as one of our O-1's recently posted that he has had no published books or articles.

If someone speaks frequently at conferences and has multiple published books, then, with counsel from an immigration attorney experienced in O-1 applications, it sounds like his case should be relatively easy to present.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that he was required to obtain letters from high ranking officials and individuals in the industry to support his application?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 1:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
My understanding is that he was required to obtain letters from high ranking officials and individuals in the industry to support his application?
I don't believe that is a "requirement" if he has a history of speaking at conferences and publishing books and/or articles. Obviously such letters would add to the evidence, but there is no absolute need for the letters.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

My error, he is trying to get an EB-1 visa!
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You really should encourage your friend to join this forum and ask his questions here for himself.

As you just demonstrated, it is very easy for important information to get lost or be misunderstood when it is relayed through a third party.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 7:38 pm

Or is he trying to get a Veyron EB?

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 23rd 2017 at 8:28 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

My OH had an O-1 and he collected 10 letters of recommendation from influential people within his field and a consultation letter. This is the basis of the O-1 petition along with the evidence requested to support eligibility. He also regurgitated these for the EB-1A.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Noodler is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived in Colorado last week on an 01 and am settling in.

I have lots of articles published and speak at conferences and provided evidence of my contribution to the technology industry.

I also got 5 reference letters from the CEO’s of 5 large globally recognised technology companies.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
My OH had an O-1 and he collected 10 letters of recommendation from influential people within his field and a consultation letter. This is the basis of the O-1 petition along with the evidence requested to support eligibility. He also regurgitated these for the EB-1A.
Yes, what Orangepants says. Except the EB1-A had to show development beyond the O-1 stuff, its not a duplicate application. In my case, my employer was able to show I have brought a very considerable jump in turnover with me.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 4:46 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This is true.

Every O-1 case is different and we have a couple of O-1 (related) members here on BE (one is married to a former O-1), but based on what you have said, he may already be "over qualified" for an O-1, as one of our O-1's recently posted that he has had no published books or articles.

If someone speaks frequently at conferences and has multiple published books, then, with counsel from an immigration attorney experienced in O-1 applications, it sounds like his case should be relatively easy to present.
I get static here when I suggest legal consultation. But I join in the recommendation. 😀

BTW J Craig Fong and I would note that when an attorney would do a particularly good job and there were no problems, the client would feel that they didn't need an attorney. 😒 I've seen that in these forums. There is value in attorney quarterbacking. But I digress.