Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Notification of Applicant Readiness

Notification of Applicant Readiness

Old Sep 24th 2009, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

sunfloweruk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Notification of Applicant Readiness

Hi,

I've got all my paperwork ready now. I submitted the DS230 part 1 last week as per instructions and now have all the other information ie. police certificate etc. Does anyone know once I submit the notification of readiness in how long its taken for the interview? We are going to the US on holiday at the end of Oct so don't want the date to come in while we are away. Plan to write a letter stating the dates we are away but not sure if anyone will look at it.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notification of Applicant Readiness

Originally Posted by sunfloweruk
Hi,

I've got all my paperwork ready now. I submitted the DS230 part 1 last week as per instructions and now have all the other information ie. police certificate etc. Does anyone know once I submit the notification of readiness in how long its taken for the interview? We are going to the US on holiday at the end of Oct so don't want the date to come in while we are away. Plan to write a letter stating the dates we are away but not sure if anyone will look at it.
Hi,

They usually send you your interview letter about a month before your interview date.

Your interview date will depend on when you said you were travelling to the USA, when you planning to get married etc.

Edit - I recommend you have someone to monitor your mail while you're away, just in case. I requested a time period for my interview and they totally ignored it and I got my date over a month sooner than I would have liked. It actually did me a favour though and worked out better that way

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Sep 24th 2009 at 8:40 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:08 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

We got our letter around the 20th sept with an interview date for 8 October. As I understand it, if you can't make the first date you can ring the hotline and request a reschedule.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Hi,

They usually send you your interview letter about a month before your interview date.

Your interview date will depend on when you said you were travelling to the USA, when you planning to get married etc.

Edit - I recommend you have someone to monitor your mail while you're away, just in case. I requested a time period for my interview and they totally ignored it and I got my date over a month sooner than I would have liked. It actually did me a favour though and worked out better that way
Thanks - yes we are just going to the USA on holiday to see family. We've been married for 9 1/2 years, which my wife (USC) has lived in the UK.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Notification of Applicant Readiness

Originally Posted by avanutria
We got our letter around the 20th sept with an interview date for 8 October. As I understand it, if you can't make the first date you can ring the hotline and request a reschedule.
Wow - rather quick. How long once you submited your application for readiness did you hear back with your interview date? You'll have to say how the interview. I'm curious as to the questions!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
As I understand it, if you can't make the first date you can ring the hotline and request a reschedule.
While it's possible, I always advise against rescheduling... indeed, I strongly advise against rescheduling! Even if you tell someone on the (mis)information line what you'd like, there is no guarantee whatsoever that the information will make it's way to the people who actually need to know that you want to reschedule. When you don't show up for your interview because you think it was rescheduled (but it wasn't)... well, your case will be closed. It's that simple.

Ian
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

Hi,

For my K1 interview when I sent off the notification of readiness it took about 3 weeks to receive my appointment letter for an appointment 4 weeks later. So in total about 7 weeks from the notification of readiness to interview. But this was the tail end of last year.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While it's possible, I always advise against rescheduling... indeed, I strongly advise against rescheduling! Even if you tell someone on the (mis)information line what you'd like, there is no guarantee whatsoever that the information will make it's way to the people who actually need to know that you want to reschedule. When you don't show up for your interview because you think it was rescheduled (but it wasn't)... well, your case will be closed. It's that simple.

Ian
To be fair, rescheduling does seem to work better for the Embassy there in London than for an AOS or other interview in the US.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
To be fair, rescheduling does seem to work better for the Embassy there in London than for an AOS or other interview in the US.
We had to re-schedule out interview for our AOS in San Diego...maybe we were just lucky, but we didn't experience any problems at all.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 1:45 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - rather quick. How long once you submited your application for readiness did you hear back with your interview date? You'll have to say how the interview. I'm curious as to the questions!
We sent in the DS-2001 on 9 September and got the letter with the interview date on the 21st September. The DS-2001 stated that the medical would be on the 9th September. Personally I think that stating the medical date on the DS-2001 helped, and the results would have already been available to the embassy by the time this form was being processed.

I've got my whole timeline available here: http://forum.diveintoamerica.com/mem...astposter&f=11

I'll try to take notes after the interview to share with you guys!
Old Sep 25th 2009, 4:20 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The consular section in London may be more accomodating than other consulates, but in general this is not true.

Interview dates are scheduled pretty much on a first-ready first-served basis for the next available slot on the calendar. Requests for dates that are beyond the booked period may be accomodated, but requests for earlier dates are unlikely to be accomodated unless a cancellation opens up a spot.

This is one of the reasons for the standard advice to not set travel or wedding dates prior to having the visa in hand when people are trying to make such plans during the petition phase.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
The consular section in London may be more accomodating than other consulates, but in general this is not true.

Interview dates are scheduled pretty much on a first-ready first-served basis for the next available slot on the calendar. Requests for dates that are beyond the booked period may be accomodated, but requests for earlier dates are unlikely to be accomodated unless a cancellation opens up a spot.

This is one of the reasons for the standard advice to not set travel or wedding dates prior to having the visa in hand when people are trying to make such plans during the petition phase.

Regards, JEff
I can only speak about what I know to be the case at the London Embassy. They ask you on the IV-15 (Notification of Applicant Readiness) about dates of travel and date of wedding. In most cases I've seen they try and give you an interview date that takes account of any declared dates on the IV-15.

I suspect that the arrangements for the timing of K1 interviews and the timing for other visas may be different, and, as you point out, may differ again across the range of various US embassies.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:55 pm

We didn't put any expected move date on our DS-2001, since it will partially depend on when our house sells.