Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Nov 21st 2013, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

EmmaW1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Hi materialcontroller, thank you for your response. No I haven't booked anything. My parents and sister are going on a holiday and the plan was to go to but all we will do is get last minute flights if the visa comes back in time. Obviously I know that the waiver is not a foregone conclusion either so lots of ?? out there at the moment. The COF asked me when the planned holiday was and when I told her she did not say anything about timescales she just gave me a note that said 20-22 weeks. I guess that this changes all the time. Shame that there is no way of tracking things though isn't there.

Can I ask as you are clearly very knowledgeable about all of this, I have read a few things on this thread about first waivers being granted without it going to DHS and then 2nd and 3rd ones having to go off. Is this right? If so does it make the processing time quicker?

I wasn't even expecting a yes to a waiver yesterday to be honest so I am certainly not counting my chickens but I am guessing the mere fact that I got a recommendation is a positive thing?

I hope that I have not repeated anything here that is already clearly answered on this thread, apologies in advance if I have
Old Nov 21st 2013, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmaW1
I have read a few things on this thread about first waivers being granted without it going to DHS and then 2nd and 3rd ones having to go off. Is this right? If so does it make the processing time quicker?
Some people have no issues with a 1st waiver but difficulty on subsequent ones; some people have difficulty with the 1st waiver, but none on subsequent waivers; some people have had no issues on either their 1st or subsequent waivers; and, finally, some people have issues with all waivers! The only correct answer here, is that you could experience one of these 4 scenarios... but there's really no way to predict which.

Ian
Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Thank you for responding
Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Hi materialcontroller, thank you for your response. No I haven't booked anything. My parents and sister are going on a holiday and the plan was to go to but all we will do is get last minute flights if the visa comes back in time. Obviously I know that the waiver is not a foregone conclusion either so lots of ?? out there at the moment. The COF asked me when the planned holiday was and when I told her she did not say anything about timescales she just gave me a note that said 20-22 weeks. I guess that this changes all the time. Shame that there is no way of tracking things though isn't there.

Can I ask as you are clearly very knowledgeable about all of this, I have read a few things on this thread about first waivers being granted without it going to DHS and then 2nd and 3rd ones having to go off. Is this right? If so does it make the processing time quicker?

I wasn't even expecting a yes to a waiver yesterday to be honest so I am certainly not counting my chickens but I am guessing the mere fact that I got a recommendation is a positive thing?

I hope that I have not repeated anything here that is already clearly answered on this thread, apologies in advance if I have
Yes, the timescale changes constantly due to the changing workload being handled by the consulate or DHS at any given time. The 22 weeks mentioned in the letter you were given is just an estimate and nothing more.

I've seen the other comments you mention but I'm not entirely sure that I agree with them. I believe, based on my own experience of two visa applications, the written experiences of other applicants that have been documented on this forum, and the guidance to consular officers in the DOS Foreign Affairs Manual, that nearly all routine waiver recommendations are submitted to the DHS for review.

The fact you have been recommended for the waiver is certainly a good sign, yes. The vast majority of recommendations are accepted and the applicant issued with a visa. Only a tiny number of cases are denied following a waiver recommendation.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

thanks materialcontroller, I really appreciate you taking the time to come back to me on this
Old Dec 1st 2013, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, another quick question if possible guys as my sister is planning her wedding in the US and I want to be clear (well as clear as possible) about my situation. I am currently waiting for an adjudication on a recommendation for a Waiver of Ineligibility. I am 2 weeks in so lots of waiting to go

On the basis that they say yes (fingers crossed) I presume from the other posts that I have read that it will be valid for 12 months either for a single entry or multiple entries. I guess each one is individual. If a visa is granted for example in March 2014 and I want to go away in April 2015 I will obviously be out of time on the visa. Can I go to the Embassy and reapply for a further waiver whilst there is a visa in situe or do I have to wait for that one to expire before I can go and apply for another one? Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks all
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 2:11 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, another quick question if possible guys as my sister is planning her wedding in the US and I want to be clear (well as clear as possible) about my situation. I am currently waiting for an adjudication on a recommendation for a Waiver of Ineligibility. I am 2 weeks in so lots of waiting to go

On the basis that they say yes (fingers crossed) I presume from the other posts that I have read that it will be valid for 12 months either for a single entry or multiple entries. I guess each one is individual. If a visa is granted for example in March 2014 and I want to go away in April 2015 I will obviously be out of time on the visa. Can I go to the Embassy and reapply for a further waiver whilst there is a visa in situe or do I have to wait for that one to expire before I can go and apply for another one? Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks all
You can apply for another visa at any time, even if you currently have an existing one with validity remaining. Obviously bear in mind that you will, in all likelihood, face a similar lengthy wait for waiver adjudication once more.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi materialcontroller, thanks for your message. I am very conscious of the delay in processing of the waivers hence why I wondered if you could apply for a visa whilst you have one in situe at the moment. I guess on the basis that it can take 6 months to process I would have to go to the embassy 6 months from the current one ending (presuming I am granted one of course)
Old Dec 10th 2013, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

KHUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All, I'm new to this forum and share your experiences:

I've applied for a B Visa at the AMSTERDAM consular office (I'm Dutch)
Was refused, and recommended for a waiver of ineligibility.
Was informed this would take about 6 months.
(I'm in week 2 now.)
Expected to travel last week of July '14. (so about 35weeks after the process had started)
What you guys recon, will I receive my visa in time?
Has there ever been a refusal of a first apply for a waiver/visa whilst recommended by consul officer? for what reasons?

Thanks, & let the waiting game begin.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KHUSA
Hello All, I'm new to this forum and share your experiences:

I've applied for a B Visa at the AMSTERDAM consular office (I'm Dutch)
Was refused, and recommended for a waiver of ineligibility.
Was informed this would take about 6 months.
(I'm in week 2 now.)
Expected to travel last week of July '14. (so about 35weeks after the process had started)
What you guys recon, will I receive my visa in time?
Has there ever been a refusal of a first apply for a waiver/visa whilst recommended by consul officer? for what reasons?

Thanks, & let the waiting game begin.
The time frame seems reasonable but avoid buying tickets until visa is in hand. Some are granted much faster. Some waivers are denied. Common reasons are that the criminal offenses or immigration violations that need to be waived are too serious or too recent or the reason for travel is not especially compelling.

It would be helpful to know why you need a waiver.

Last edited by crg; Dec 10th 2013 at 3:23 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

KHUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately tickets were already bought. So lets hope for the best.

Need a waiver for CIMT, 8 years ago, no conviction by a judge; so called 'Public Prosecutors session' I accepted an offer for 60hours of community service.

Reason for visit is 3 weeks holiday NY + westcoast.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys, hope you all had a good Christmas and a great new year.

Couple of questions, is there any update on waiver processing times at the moment? What is everyone else experiencing? I am only 6 weeks in so lots of time to go yet (I suppose).

When I was interviewing by the COF she asked me my dates of travel and I gave them to her. Is a visa likely to be granted specific for those dates or just a generic grant? I am just wondering what I do if the visa comes after the dates that I was supposed to be going away?

Any thoughts welcome as always
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of questions, is there any update on waiver processing times at the moment?
I haven't heard of any change.

When I was interviewing by the COF she asked me my dates of travel and I gave them to her. Is a visa likely to be granted specific for those dates or just a generic grant? I am just wondering what I do if the visa comes after the dates that I was supposed to be going away?
Visas are usually valid for a year (sometimes more) and specify either a single entry or multiple entries. There's no way to know, in advance, which combination you'll get. That said, a visa is unlikely to be granted for those specific dates - so my guess is that she was trying to gauge the urgency of approval. If the visa is issued after the intended dates of travel, you can still use it... if you still want to travel to the US.

Ian
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the reply that's great. Is there any way of finding out where in the queue I am?
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

Is there any way of finding out where in the queue I am?
No, I'm afraid not.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.