Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

New procedure for getting UK police certificate

New procedure for getting UK police certificate

Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all
Default Re: New procedure for getting UK police certificate

Well... the good news is the new certificates arrive really quickly!

I paid the £35 fee for the "standard" service...

Sent the forms and stuff in on a wednesday... The certificate arived 3 days later on Saturday!

Almost like they gave me the "priority" service but didn't have to pay £70...

Still a pain in the arse, but at least it's quick...
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

tilley7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrssmith
When did this happen? I sent my request for my police certificate last month probably around 4 weeks ago now and only yesterday recieved a receipt from them, acknowledging they had recieved it. The £10.00 cheque has not however been cashed yet.....
it wont be valid now. I had this problem when i went to my interview at the embassy today. It now needs apicture with it. You can get it in 2 days for £70 or 10 days for £35
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

thedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nicethedudeabides is just really nice

I sent mine off on Monday afternoon standard service and the certificate was waiting for me on the doormat when I came home from work this (Friday) evening. That is an excellent turnaround and quite unexpected being that I had read posts from people who had waited over a month. Which is a bummer, man.
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

A friend from another board, who reads UK specific reports from around and about says "I have been reading reports of people at London being given 'conditional approvals' pending the submission of the new police certificate..so although the website says the old ones are being accepted until August that information cannot be relied on."

Nothing official, but proceed with caution if you are on a deadline for getting to the US. If you are 'conditionally approved' your visa will simply be held until you get them the missing document.
Old May 2nd 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Sent off for my ACPO cert on Tuesday so should turn up next week sometime, going by what others have said about processing times recently.
Old May 8th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Got my certificates this morning (I ordered a second copy as it was only a fiver extra) - NO TRACE - not that I was expecting anything else, being a law-abiding citizen.

That makes 6 working days from posting to receipt, or 4 working days for processing. Pretty good for the standard service when they say up to 10 days.

At least that's another thing off my "to-do" list.....
Old Jun 7th 2008, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

sselbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes to confirm you DO need the NEW police form and it is £35..... more money but they were very fast returning the form.

The old one is NOT acceptable.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:35 am
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of

In line with some of the other recent posts. I sent for my police certificate last week (Wednesday). I sent it recorded delivery so I could make sure it got there. It was delivered on Friday and I got it back today. That would make it less than 72 hours to process. And I'm in Scotland, but also lived at nearly twenty different addresses in both Scotland and England since turning 16. Considering how many addresses they had to check for me I was impressed at how quickly it was processed.

All I need to do now is get the right size photos and I can sent my DS-230 to my husband ready for filing when the fee bill comes through.

Lyn
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:11 am
Just Joined

abletsandtoast is just really niceabletsandtoast is just really niceabletsandtoast is just really niceabletsandtoast is just really niceabletsandtoast is just really niceabletsandtoast is just really niceabletsandtoast is just really niceabletsandtoast is just really nice

I'm amazed that you're all getting your police certificates so quickly. My husband's certificate is still outstanding 10 weeks from the original application!

My husband originally applied for his police certificate (the £35 one) on April 2nd. Later that week he had a phone call to say that the person who signed the back of the photo hadn't completed their bit of the form correctly. So, we sent another, properly completed form to ACPO that day.

My husband hadn't heard anything by the beginning of May so he called ACPO to ask what was going on. They told him that they never received the second form so they had destroyed his application!

He immediately filled out a THIRD form, got new photos and got everything endorsed again. This was posted on May 10th. My husband rang ACPO a few days later to check they had everything. They told him all was well, his application was being processed.

Then, earlier this week, he got a letter saying that the form he sent in early April was incomplete and that they had repeatedly tried to contact him by phone and email but had had no response! My husband immediately called ACPO in a panic and said that:

1. They HAD contacted him by phone in April and he had sent the requested information.

and

2. They had later informed him that his application had been destroyed (which might explain why it was incomplete )

The lady on the phone again told him not to worry. The letter from ACPO was apparently a mistake - the application form he sent on May 10th was being processed.

So, I'm currently watching the letter box in the hope that the police certificate will arrive in today's post.

I shouldn't be surprised about this - we've had similar trouble at every step. IRS lost my tax transcript request (they confirmed the request on the phone but couldn't find any evidence of it one month later) and I'm still waiting for the second request to be processed. Our local register office lost my husband's request, made in person, for a copy of his birth certificate THREE times (he finally got it though). And apparently, a deed poll prepared by a solicitor is not legal enough :curse:.

I think I'll take a break from letter box watching and go check for stress-induced grey hairs .
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:54 am
Just Joined

mrs_sdp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I'm new to the site and have been browsing a bit .. well a LOT .. if I'm really honest!!

We'll be applying for the K-1 visa sometime in October and I'm trying to learn as much about the procedures involved beforehand ...

I noticed on this post that someone said the new Police Certificate DIDN'T apply to Scotland.

So what do Scottish people do to get it?

Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:54 pm
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mrs_sdp
Hi All

I'm new to the site and have been browsing a bit .. well a LOT .. if I'm really honest!!

We'll be applying for the K-1 visa sometime in October and I'm trying to learn as much about the procedures involved beforehand ...

I noticed on this post that someone said the new Police Certificate DIDN'T apply to Scotland.

So what do Scottish people do to get it?

Thanks!
Hi

I think you may have misread, or not gone all the way through the thread. I have posted already that it DOES apply to Scotland as well. Because it's a new pilot project it applies to everyone in the UK.

I'm Scottish as well and got my ACPO Police Cert only a couple of weeks ago. It took less than a week, and was very straightforward.

Hope that helps.

Lyn
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

mrs_sdp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank goodness for that .. panic over ...

And thanks for clarifying that for me Lyn .. I must have jumped past the part where you mentioned it!!

I'm still at the stage of trying to get my head around the whole visa thing - it looks kind of daunting but I'm sure once I start putting the papers together it will be fine ....

Thanks again!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:35 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs_sdp
Thank goodness for that .. panic over ...

And thanks for clarifying that for me Lyn .. I must have jumped past the part where you mentioned it!!

I'm still at the stage of trying to get my head around the whole visa thing - it looks kind of daunting but I'm sure once I start putting the papers together it will be fine ....

Thanks again!
My fiancee is from Scotland and got his certficate in less than a week a few months ago.He originally paid 10 to get a local Tayside police certificate but then realised it was the wrong one and needed the national UK one. Its only an extra 5 to get a second one so I would suggest getting two just have an extra copy. Also take a photo copy of the certificate to the interview. They asked for and kept photocopies of his police certificate and his birth certificate. This was for the K1in London a few weeks ago but I think it's a good idea anyway as I have learned from posts on here!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:36 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I should clarify an extra 5 after paying the 35. My American computer does not have the pound on it just the $dollar sign!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:14 pm
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

Originally Posted by TKO
Slight note of interest regarding the title of this thread - this does not apply to Scotland, and presumably people who currently reside in Scotland and have lived elsewhere in the UK in the last ten years either.

Bollocks, thought I had deleted this.

Please disregard - it's not true. The website is not for Scotland, but the new certificate process is.

Apologies to anyone who acted upon my statement.

FWIW - my certificate arrived within a week using the standard service too. The officer in London took my Scottish and National certificates, though he didn't need the Scottish only one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.