New here .. visa advice needed

Old Nov 11th 2017, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Laurax is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New here .. visa advice needed

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been posted before I thought I'd post my own thread so I can keep on top of replies. (Sorry it's going to be long)
First things first I'm wanting to visit America next year, I have met someone from there that I am wanting to visit Iv already worked out I need to go down the visa route due to being arrested in the past (4 times infact) I will explain the details of them. All 4 are for drunk and disorderly. The first time being 2008 and second 2009 when I was 17 I had recently lost my grandad who had raised me, my dad was sent to prison threw the time of my exams at school I then found out I had a brother and a relationship I was in broke down all in the space of a year so I got into bother being young and dumb and unsure which way to turn these two were PND's and not convictions. The last two were in 2012/2013 which by this point I was in a domestic violence relationship the first time my ex assaulted a friend and I was trying to calm the situation down which ended up in a number of us being arrested the second time my ex assaulted me and we were both arrested (although I did press charges against him at this point) the relationship ended not long after and Iv been out of trouble. The 2012 was a PND's withdrawn but the 2013 turned into a conviction.
Although it might seem like I may have a issue with alcohol Iv never been dependent on it. I have had depression in the past from losing my grandad which wasn't dealt with until 2012 I was given anti depressants and was off them within a year. There has been attempts of suicide going back to 2009 and last one being march 2012 which was when I got the help I needed. Iv had therapy etc and in such a better place physically and mentally.
My question is what do I need to take with me to my interview which I ain't sorted yet I am looking at doing that in the new year I have my subject to access form which states all 4 arrests and outcomes I got this because I thought the police certificate may show no live trace so would need the proof of what my conviction is. I was planning on getting a letter from my dr that will state Iv not had any abuse around alcohol and the outcome of my depression and also to say I am mentally ok and no risk to myself or others. Also A summary of my medical records I was going to see if I can get records about the counselling and therapy I took part in due to my depression and also records to say I sought help when leaving the dv relationship so these days would confirm the times I was in trouble. I was then obviously going to write my reasons of why I was in them situations. Would it be also worth getting character references too?
Any other advice is welcome and also experiences
Sorry again it's long winded
Thankyou x
Old Nov 11th 2017, 1:13 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New here .. visa advice needed

The consular officer isn't obliged to look at any evidence you bring with you. He may. But he is not obliged to. Does the person you've met know all about this too?

It doesn't look good due to how recent the incidents were and that all 4 involve alcohol. It's going to cost you $160 and a trip to the embassy to find out if they will or won't grant you a visa.

Maybe this person you've met will have to visit you?
Old Nov 11th 2017, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

I'm not sure how it all works I am currently doing research on it all threw this website so I didn't know if additional information would help.

Yes he knows about it all Iv spoken to him about it and the reasons why they happened. Unfortunately he can't visit here at this moment in time.

Would it be the medical I would say additional information to? I think Iv gathered it would possibly go to a medical.

Thanks for your reply.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 3:00 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

You only need a medical for an immigrant visa, not to visit.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for clarifying that for me. I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before taking this route.

I am prepared for a refusal first time and possible a waiver.
I obviously want to do this the correct way as I don't know what the future holds in regards to emigrating one day that will be a bridge I cross when I come to it ATM I am just looking at visiting.

Thanks again for your replies.
Really helpful
X
Old Nov 11th 2017, 3:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely get all the court records for the offenses you were arrested/cited for and their penalties.

Also showing your ties to the UK will be helpful to show that you aren't going to the US to remain but have reason to return home.

I don't see a favorable response to your tourist visa request because of the number of issues you have had in the not too distant past and your issues with alcohol. While it is good to say that you aren't dependent on alcohol, you have shown that you don't have the ability to use it temperately and without harmful affect to yourself and possibly others.

You never know what will happen until you try.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

As in ties to the U.K. Would a contract from work, birth certificate of my child be sufficient? I currently rent so don't own my own home yet.

Would it be that I would be advised for a waiver (or possibly because Iv read that isn't always the case) I have gathered that my 2012 one is recent. Do the the two when I was under 18 come into account because I have read on some posts that they don't take ones when you are under 18 into account but that is for other arrests in general Iv read. (I know I seem stupid asking but I'm literally trying to learn lol)

It's something I plan on doing in the new year just trying to gather information until then. I know that only one shows as a conviction on my police record that's why I got the subject to access discloser so I can be honest with it all.

Thankyou for your reply x
Old Nov 11th 2017, 4:34 pm
Banned

You can bring whatever you want but I don't think the ties to the UK are going to be the biggest problem for you. Your biggest issue will be convincing the officer that you are not a troublemaker, basically. Ties are hard to prove - all of us who moved here left jobs, family, sold property, etc.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Yes I understand that I didn't think of the ties part I was more focused on the history part.

What happens if I am refused, do they recommend a waiver in some cases?
Just so I know what the next stage is lol
Old Nov 11th 2017, 4:47 pm
Banned

If the officer is of the opinion that you qualify for a waiver (you may, you may not - only the officer can make that decision) you will be told that at the interview. Waivers are taking over 6 months to process. Don't buy any plane tickets until the visa is approved.

I'm curious as to why he cannot visit you? Is it a financial reason? For the most part, US citizens have it easier going to the UK as they can stay 6 months without a visa and there is no ESTA process beforehand. They can just buy a ticket and set off. There are exceptions (criminal records or previous overstays, for example).
Old Nov 11th 2017, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou I think I'm beginning to understand the process.

If a visa is denied and a waiver isn't acceptable does that mean forever or could I try again in say a few years time.

Also it is financial atm as to why he can't visit the uk but it isn't ruled out for future trips.,
Old Nov 11th 2017, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
You only need a medical for an immigrant visa, not to visit.
That's correct in that immigrant visas always need a medical, however a ConOff can definitely order a medical for a non-immigrant visa too if he/she suspects there's an issue that requires it.

Beyond that, I too think that it's probably too soon to hope for a visa in this situation. 10 years is normally the safe mark for reasonable serious records like the one described here.

More often than not, the Consular Officer has already made a decision before you get to the window - context of the crime seems to rarely come into it. A record is a record and they're quite black and white about it.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 6:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I do not mean to be catty -- but there are many wonderful places outside of the US to visit. Just came back from a trip to Croatia & Slovenia. Lovely.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.

If I was to apply and get turned down, even for a waiver, does that mean it's done completely or could I wait a x amount of time and try again? I don't want to be going for a visa and being denied and never aloud to try again if it'll be better to wait a few years longer in Hope of a better outcome (if I make sense)
Old Nov 11th 2017, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

America is always a place Iv wanted to visit just my messed up life and troubled relationship caused me more trouble than enough. I am so glad I'm over all that mentally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.