Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

New Green Card & Health care visit

New Green Card & Health care visit

Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

john09_2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Green Card & Health care visit

Hello,

I have a quick question, i am a new green card holder and i already did the I-864 during the immigration process so i am aware of the 5 year limitation, specifically towards access any public assistance such as medicaid etc.. which i dont plan to access anyway..... but what happens if i am currently unemployed & without insurance and wanted to visit a doctor in a non-profit organization that offers low to free cost depending on income or lack of income, is that acceptable?
i am trying to avoid anything that remotely looks like any kind of public assistance or welfare and i dont think visiting a non-profit organization for primary care and paying 0$ is an issue under the I-864 but i would like some members input...

Thank you so much in advance,
John
Old Jul 28th 2017, 12:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Green Card & Health care visit

Doesn't sound like a means- tested benefit, so should bee OK.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2017, 1:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john09_2013
Hello,

I have a quick question, i am a new green card holder and i already did the I-864 during the immigration process so i am aware of the 5 year limitation, specifically towards access any public assistance such as medicaid etc.. which i dont plan to access anyway..... but what happens if i am currently unemployed & without insurance and wanted to visit a doctor in a non-profit organization that offers low to free cost depending on income or lack of income, is that acceptable?
i am trying to avoid anything that remotely looks like any kind of public assistance or welfare and i dont think visiting a non-profit organization for primary care and paying 0$ is an issue under the I-864 but i would like some members input...

Thank you so much in advance,
John
What 5 year limitation. That I-864 stays in effect for your financial sponsor until you meet one of the following:

1. You become a US Citizen; or
2. You work the equivalent of 40 quarters under social security; or
3. Your beneficiary dies; and
4. Your beneficiary estate is settled; or
5. You die; or
6. You cancel your green card and leave the US; or
7. You are deoorted from the US by USCIS/ICE and your green card rescinded.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 1:32 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a charity, not public assistance.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

john09_2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for answering, i should've mentioned that i said 5 years, since that is what usually most people become citizens & I864 no longer valid, Tnx Rete for the clarification....
Tnx Noorah101 & Twinkle 0927 for your input as well. that is what i concluded as well, especially since i am not registering with medicaid nor getting any cash assistance or benefits either, just a primary care visit from a non profit health clinic.